WMC stops playing a recording sometimes

Mike88

HTPC Specs: Show details

WMC stops playing a recording sometimes

Post by Mike88 » Wed Nov 14, 2012 7:48 am

About 5 days ago I started watching an OTA recording with WMC7 and about 2 minutes into it WMC7 stopped. A message came up saying it stopped & had options to restart WMC or go online (which appeared to send info to MS) and a 3rd option I don't recall. I just restarted & everything worked just fine. I looked at event logs & found this, which is a partial listing. I did a search for that ntdll.dll but could not find a definitive answer to what caused the problem. The typical comments were to reboot or reinstall software.

Log Name: Application
Source: Application Error
Date: 11/7/2012 5:09:23 PM
Event ID: 1000
Task Category: (100)
Level: Error
Keywords: Classic
User: N/A
Computer: HTPC
Description:
Faulting application name: ehshell.exe, version: 6.1.7600.16385, time stamp: 0x4a5bd053
Faulting module name: ntdll.dll, version: 6.1.7601.17725, time stamp: 0x4ec4aa8e

Then 2 days ago I was using Irfanview on the HTPC to view some jpg photos that were on another Homegroup PC. Windows stopped working on the HTPC & I got a blue screen, but not the usual BSOD. This was a lighter blue with quite a bit of text. Window automatically restarted before I could read everything & everything appeared to function properly.

I did a sfc /scannow and nothing was wrong.

Later I was watching an OTA recording & Media Center stopped worked again about 5 minutes into the video. There were a couple errors in the Events Log but one was similar to the previous one so I looked into it. It displayed the following, again this is just a partial listing.

Faulting application name: ehshell.exe.
Faulting module name: sbe.dll, version: 6.6.7601.17528.

I did quite a bit of Googling & it appears that the sbe.dll is needed for some WMC functions. I don’t know if the above mentioned dlls are part of the problem, a symptom or something else. I also came across a couple articles saying to delete a database file named mcepg2-0.db (or similar) in C:\programdata\microsoft\ehome. If it becomes corrupted it might cause WMC to stop.

Any thoughts on why WMC7 stops for no apparent reason but is able to restart?