Ceton Companion OTAY error

Discuss My Media Center for Windows 8, Windows RT, iOS, Android, and WP, and ask Ceton for support.
Forum rules
Ceton no longer participate in this forum. There is no official support mechanism for My Media Center.
newfiend

HTPC Specs: Show details

Ceton Companion OTAY error

Post by newfiend » Sun Nov 04, 2012 2:49 pm

Ok, here's one for the Dev. crew..
lately I have had Media Center crash in the middle of watching a recorded tv program. It will crash to the desktop then recover Media Center. It then displays a Ceton OTAY error.

I noticed this happened the other day and again last night. Both times I had used the companion to schedule a recording. All went fine in that regard.. However after some time had passed (could be as long as it took for the scheduled recording to begin) Media Center would crash, restart and display the error. It happens on both the stable and beta services as I have now tried both.

Sent from my SGH-i937 using Board Express
Last edited by newfiend on Sun Nov 04, 2012 6:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mikinho

Post by mikinho » Sun Nov 04, 2012 2:52 pm

So the issue is not caused by Otay. It is an error when Media Center crashes w/o properly closing which leaves any add-ins with open resources. Eventually the .NET Garbage Collector would clean it up and prevent the issue when relaunching. I also made a work-around for this happening in the next update that will go out (along w/ W8 support)

newfiend

Post by newfiend » Sun Nov 04, 2012 2:54 pm

Awesome.. Thanks mikinho.. Hope your doing good bro. :)

mikinho

Post by mikinho » Sun Nov 04, 2012 2:55 pm

Forgot to mention, for now you have two choices:

1- After Media Center crashes kill any ehexthost.exe processes left open in the current session before relaunching Media Center.

2- Reboot

I recommend rebooting for now if it isn't in the middle of a recording of course. When Media Center crashes it leaves a few handles open so if it crashed a few times w/o rebooting in between you'd eventually start to see some "odd" behavior

newfiend

Post by newfiend » Sun Nov 04, 2012 2:59 pm

Ok will do.. I know you can't give timelines on service updates but any idea roughly on how long before we get the fix for this?.. No pressure :P

mikinho

Post by mikinho » Sun Nov 04, 2012 3:01 pm

Well our goal was to release Companion Services for W8 at RTM...sadly we didn't get the bits until they went public so we missed our goal. That said I'm working hard to get that released ASAP. I'd expect to see an update released for W8 first as an alpha VERY soon. Then a W7\W8 public beta that includes this fix fairly soon.

newfiend

Post by newfiend » Sun Nov 04, 2012 3:12 pm

Awesome.. Thank You! I'm holding off on Windows 8 for now.. Would love to try it out but I'm waiting for some of the bugs, drives and fixes to get pushed out before making the jump. It will probably be awhile before I move my htpc to it if at all.. It will depend on how much effort MS puts into fixing things like extender issues in W8.
Anyway.. Thanks for the update. Appreciate your work on this. Take Care.. And keep im touch once in awhile will ya! :)

mikinho

Post by mikinho » Sun Nov 04, 2012 3:15 pm

newfiend wrote:And keep im touch once in awhile will ya! :)
:oops: My mom and sisters have been telling me same thing...

newfiend

Post by newfiend » Sun Nov 04, 2012 4:25 pm

Haha.. I know how it goes.. I hear the same from my family as well.. Work has a funny way of taking up all your time and making you tired as heck.. Totally understand. :)

epete

Post by epete » Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:21 am

When I saw this thread title, all I could think of was Buckwheat saying "OTAY Panky".