Ceton card heat question

A place to talk about GPUs/Motherboards/CPUs/Cases/Remotes, etc.
kc10boom

HTPC Specs: Show details

Ceton card heat question

Post by kc10boom » Thu Nov 01, 2012 8:41 pm

I bought some mini copper heatsinks to help dissipate heat since I read that the Ceton cards can get toasty. Any recommendations on where I should put the heatsinks? I get my card, HTPC case tonight too :-)

http://www.Newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 35-708-012

STC

Post by STC » Thu Nov 01, 2012 8:56 pm

TBTH I wouldn't even go there.
All you need is a bit of air flow around the tuner itself. I have read of only a couple who have put heat sinks on the tuner chips, but if they needed heat sinks, they would ship with them.
Aside from getting real close to voiding your warranty, I don't think you will be physically able to stick those puppies on.
By the Community, for the Community. 100% Commercial Free.

Want decent guide data back? Check out EPG123

foxwood

Post by foxwood » Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:00 pm

Heatsinks will help move the heat away from the point source, but in most cases, you then need to blow air over the heatsink to move that heat out of the heatsink, and then out of the PC. The heatsink basically just gives you a larger surface for the heat to radiate out into the moving airstream. Extra heatsinks won't do you much good if your airflow isn't good enough in the first place, and in many cases will just be an additional obstruction to airflow.

newfiend

Post by newfiend » Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:37 pm

foxwood wrote:Heatsinks will help move the heat away from the point source, but in most cases, you then need to blow air over the heatsink to move that heat out of the heatsink, and then out of the PC. The heatsink basically just gives you a larger surface for the heat to radiate out into the moving airstream. Extra heatsinks won't do you much good if your airflow isn't good enough in the first place, and in many cases will just be an additional obstruction to airflow.
I agree as well.. You really need a fan blowing across those for them to be usefull. There are lots of options out there for adding fans to a case. If your handy you can add a fan above the Ceton and use it to extract the heat. I did this recently on my WHS and it worked out really well.. see the end of this thread http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/vie ... 6&start=20 I added a fan (slim) to the case to extract the excess heat.

newfiend~

kc10boom

Post by kc10boom » Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:46 pm

I've got plenty of spare fans so I'll just set the airflow up to pull the air out. I'll save the heatsinks for overvlocking :smile: