Will WOL support be added to the companion app?

Discuss My Media Center for Windows 8, Windows RT, iOS, Android, and WP, and ask Ceton for support.
Forum rules
Ceton no longer participate in this forum. There is no official support mechanism for My Media Center.
mikinho

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by mikinho » Fri Jan 18, 2013 1:43 pm

It was released yesterday as MyMediaCenter

black88mx6

Post by black88mx6 » Fri Jan 18, 2013 2:31 pm

mikinho wrote:It was released yesterday as MyMediaCenter
Loaded this morning; when I try and send a test WOL command, I get the error "Failed The requested address is not valid in this context".

It looks like I am using the correct format of FF:FF:FF:FF:FF:FF

Any hints on what this is telling me?

Motz

Post by Motz » Fri Jan 18, 2013 5:11 pm

Which iOS firmware version are you running and which device?
I Write, Code, and Tweet

black88mx6

Post by black88mx6 » Fri Jan 18, 2013 6:40 pm

Motz wrote:Which iOS firmware version are you running and which device?
iPhone 4s, using iOS 6.0.1

Jonny561201

Post by Jonny561201 » Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:31 pm

black88mx6 wrote:
Loaded this morning; when I try and send a test WOL command, I get the error "Failed The requested address is not valid in this context".

I tried this as well and I have at least one comment. I was able to get this working without issue while I was on my wifi network, but when I tried doing it from the cellular network I get the same error message. I am able to access my HTPC from my companion app while on the cellular network, but only if the PC is running as I have been unable to get my router to wake my media center.

I assume the companion app should wake the media center if you can get the router to forward the magic packet correctly.

black88mx6

Post by black88mx6 » Sat Jan 19, 2013 1:04 am

Jonny561201 wrote:
black88mx6 wrote:

I tried this as well and I have at least one comment. I was able to get this working without issue while I was on my wifi network, but when I tried doing it from the cellular network I get the same error message. I am able to access my HTPC from my companion app while on the cellular network, but only if the PC is running as I have been unable to get my router to wake my media center.

I assume the companion app should wake the media center if you can get the router to forward the magic packet correctly.

When i got home it also worked for me with wifi. It was the phone using vpn to my home network where it game me the message. The vpn should of worked... it looks like the wol magic packet is restricted to only be sent over wifi.

Motz

Post by Motz » Sat Jan 19, 2013 1:21 am

black88mx6 wrote:
When i got home it also worked for me with wifi. It was the phone using vpn to my home network where it game me the message. The vpn should of worked... it looks like the wol magic packet is restricted to only be sent over wifi.
I have some new code that I am running on Windows 8 app now which loops through the network connections so i will try to put this into the iOS app for the next release. I believe that this might be the issue.
I Write, Code, and Tweet

Jonny561201

Post by Jonny561201 » Sat Jan 19, 2013 5:09 pm

James, I should also clarify that I am using the IOS version of the app. Will this update you are looking to push address cellular connectivity as well? Appreciate all your work on the app over the months as it is really started to look polished.

Motz

Post by Motz » Sun Jan 20, 2013 8:11 am

Thanks!

For over cellular have you guys seen this: http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/vie ... 861#p40861

the WoL is designed currently for over wifi, but I have contacted staknhalo for more info about his exact setup.
I Write, Code, and Tweet

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 6:11 pm

This implementation of WOL doesn't help me at all. I'll just continue using the script I've setup in my router to detect the attempted connection from the Companion app that causes the router to send a WOL packet to the HTPC.

In order for WOL in the Companion app to be useful, it needs to have a way to be sent to my external IP, and also to a different port than I have configured for the Companion. I have a special port configured in my router for all WOL packets. WOL packets sent to this port are broadcast on my LAN... so that any PC with the appropriate MAC address will wake.

I don't use the Companion app very much, and it's primary function for me is to be able to schedule recordings remotely. When I'm not home, and I see or hear about some show I'd like to record, the Companion app is a quick and easy way to schedule it from anywhere.

If/when the app supports streaming video, then I might use it more when I'm away from home. My phone has HDMI output... so I can connect it to a hotel TV with an HDMI input. If I could stream my recordings from home to my phone, I could watch my recordings from a hotel room. I have unlimited data with Sprint, and their 4G service is available in most large cities... it's amazingly fast. I've used my phone to watch Netflix on a hotel TV... it's a nice thing to have when you're on a business trip and there's nothing to watch on the hotel's limited selection of TV channels.

Jonny561201

Post by Jonny561201 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:55 pm

Motz wrote:Thanks!

For over cellular have you guys seen this: http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/vie ... 861#p40861

the WoL is designed currently for over wifi, but I have contacted staknhalo for more info about his exact setup.
Hey James, yes I did look at that thread and I am 90% certain I have everything setup correctly and still cant get the WoL working from internet. Ill try messing with it again tonight when I get home, but I have had no luck getting it to work.