Windows 8 WMC and HDPVR

theriverlethe

HTPC Specs: Show details

Windows 8 WMC and HDPVR

Post by theriverlethe » Tue Oct 23, 2012 8:11 pm

Has anyone had difficulty with this combination? I'm guessing the drivers are identical between Windows 7 and 8, but I want to be sure.

mdavej

Post by mdavej » Tue Oct 23, 2012 8:41 pm

I haven't had any difficult with SD drivers. However, IMO Win 8 stinks, to put it mildly. I tried it for a little while but would never use it on any of my systems.

theriverlethe

Post by theriverlethe » Tue Oct 23, 2012 8:55 pm

What are SD drivers?

mdavej

Post by mdavej » Wed Oct 24, 2012 2:31 am

Sorry, SD = Silicon Dust (HDHomeRun). So that would apply to Hauppauge as well. Didn't have Win 8 long enough to try Ceton. Seems like the Win 7 drivers I had for everything else (printers, video card, sound, etc.) worked fine in Win 8.

Jwmueller

Post by Jwmueller » Sat Nov 03, 2012 3:31 pm

I am having lots of problems, channel scan gets stuck at 50% for hours. Reinstall of the OS has not cured it, uninstalling MCE and reinstall does not cure it. Trying to bring over my guide channels from a backup will restore the guide, but then kicks out the tuner so in the end it does not work.

Finds the tuner, just nothing I have tried so far will let me actually use the HD PVR.

slowbiscuit

Post by slowbiscuit » Sat Nov 03, 2012 3:34 pm

LOL, so don't use Win8 MC. That should be the default right now anyway. People are upgrading and breaking WMC PCs that aren't broke, and getting less than what they had with 7MC.

Sure is entertaining to read all these threads though.

adam1991

Post by adam1991 » Sat Nov 03, 2012 3:41 pm

slowbiscuit wrote:LOL, so don't use Win8 MC. That should be the default right now anyway. People are upgrading and breaking WMC PCs that aren't broke, and getting less than what they had with 7MC.

BUT YOU DON'T UNDERSTAND! SHINY! SHINY! SHINY!

Jwmueller

Post by Jwmueller » Sat Nov 03, 2012 6:14 pm

adam1991 wrote:
slowbiscuit wrote:LOL, so don't use Win8 MC. That should be the default right now anyway. People are upgrading and breaking WMC PCs that aren't broke, and getting less than what they had with 7MC.

BUT YOU DON'T UNDERSTAND! SHINY! SHINY! SHINY!
I am dual booting so my setup is not broken, regardless I like to play around and to be honest jumping from VistaMC to 7MC was a no brainer at launch. Anyway, back to the topic..

I did reinstall my Win8 drive, updated all the drivers before I installed the MCE add on. Still same results, freezes at 50% during channel scan. My old ATI PCI 650 card is working fine with this setup (win 7 drivers). I see some people are stating that it freezes at 0% so my guess in my setup is that it does not work on the PVR channels until 50%. I will keep playing around and if I find something that works I will post.

Cyterio

Post by Cyterio » Sat Nov 03, 2012 8:39 pm

I have not had any issues with Windows 8. To put a disclaimer on this, I did a fresh install of windows 7 then immediately upgraded to Windows 8. Everything installed perfectly for me and I had no trouble with any of my 3 tuners. I have an ATI cablecard tuner and two qam tuners.

Jwmueller

Post by Jwmueller » Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:41 pm

Hauppauge told me that it will not work in Win8 MCE and they do not have an ETA for a fix. :( So I guess I will just look at the Ceton PCI card and sell the PVR.

Valkyrie-MT

Post by Valkyrie-MT » Wed Dec 05, 2012 1:20 am

Just tried this and can confirm that it doesn't work with Win8 MCE and Hauppauge HD-PVR. Channel scan when adding tuners hang at 50%. Everyone that wants this to work needs to send a message to Hauppauge using this form: http://www.hauppauge.com/site/contact/c ... pport.html

They will only fix this if they get people that tell them it's a problem.

Some things to try.
- If you are about to upgrade from Win7 to Win8, try backing up your channels with GuideTool, then restoring the channels in Win8. This may bypass the scan.
- DVBLink for HD-PVR is reported to work in Win8 -- http://forum.dvblogic.com/viewtopic.php ... 2&start=15

P.S. If you don't have an HD-PVR, we don't need to hear about other tuners that work fine. Obviously, most will work fine considering the minor changes to Media Center.

-Valkyrie-MT

morbital

Post by morbital » Fri Mar 01, 2013 1:53 pm

Contacted support and received this response: "The Media Center support does not currently work in Windows 8 because of changes that Microsoft made to Media Center. Engineering is working on the HD PVR Media Center support for Windows 8 but has not said when it will be available."

So at least it sounds like they ARE working on a solution, just no ETA. I encourage more people to contact support regarding this issue to put the pressure on.

Cheers,

-Andrew

jbf154

Post by jbf154 » Mon Aug 12, 2013 8:57 pm

I just sent a note to Hauppauge support myself on this. It would be nice to archive some things from TWC (they practically mark everything copy once).