Netflix is getting greedy, vudu client for 7MC?

woodchuck

HTPC Specs: Show details

Netflix is getting greedy, vudu client for 7MC?

Post by woodchuck » Tue Jul 12, 2011 10:32 pm

Any new news on a Vudu client for 7MC? Looks like Netflix is being run by bean counters so the rates are going up 60%. Time to cancel!!!

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Netflix-r ... 70502.html

richard1980

Post by richard1980 » Tue Jul 12, 2011 10:56 pm

You know you can still go with the streaming only plan for $7.99, right?

spanner

Post by spanner » Wed Jul 13, 2011 12:05 am

Not sure how i feel about this. I have been a netflix member since 1999, My current plan costs 17.99 that is 2 bluray disks at a time and unlimited streaming. it will go up September 1st to 22.98. I would like to go to the streaming only plan, but find i really only use it to catch up on tv shows. I find that for movies I really enjoy the Quality of blueray especially the lossless audio options. It will be awhile before streaming movies can ever match the sound or the picture quality of blue. five more bucks a moth is a pretty big jump.

richard1980

Post by richard1980 » Wed Jul 13, 2011 1:59 am

Netflix has said for quite some time now they want to get away from the mail business. It should not be a surprise that they are doing it this way.

spanner

Post by spanner » Wed Jul 13, 2011 2:09 am

Your right it is no surprise, but i think it is sad that the direction they are taking gives up quality over mass distribution, sad but understandable

grantndub

Post by grantndub » Wed Jul 13, 2011 3:47 am

Not really a fan of the pricing, I may just go streaming only and not get any DVD's.

staknhalo

Post by staknhalo » Wed Jul 13, 2011 4:04 am

My plan is going from 10 a month for 1 DVD and streaming to 16 a month. [Removed by Moderator] lol. I'm thinking I might go with DVD only. Everything on streaming, I can get on DVD. The same can't be said for streaming. At least I have until September to decide.

Tracer

Post by Tracer » Wed Jul 13, 2011 4:21 pm

How this will effect Netflix profit is hard to say. While most of us here use streaming because we have the equipment and internet bandwidth to support streaming. There is probably a large consumer base of Netflix that either live in areas that can not get reliable internet access to support streaming or just don't have the equipment to support streaming to their TV. So for those users going to $7.99 DVD only option may work in the consumers favor.

Then you got those consumers who are happy with what they can get from streaming only so they will be happy to drop the DVD option.

The problem I have and I'm sure is shared with other Netflix customers is we use streaming when we can but, still order DVDs to make up for what is not available via streaming. For those with this shared view will either keep both services and just suck up the higher price, drop either DVD or streaming, or just drop Netflix completely.

Personally I'll be droping the DVD option as I rarely find anything I want on DVD since it takes so long for new releases to come out on Netflix. If there is a new release I want right away I end up buying it on blu-ray during release week or when the price drops down to where I think it is worth picking up. If I don't like the movie, I'll just sell it off on ebay.

woodchuck

Post by woodchuck » Wed Jul 13, 2011 5:13 pm

For me, I like still being able to get Blurays. Their quality on a 58" display far exceeds any streaming option. But, since I only watch about 1 Bluray a month, it might be time to just cancel Netflix and start using my free (sort of) Amazon Prime unlimited streaming option.

winterescape

Post by winterescape » Sun Aug 07, 2011 3:04 pm

You can load boxee and the 7mc boxee launcher. This will give you a vudu app

http://www.boxee.tv/download

http://boxeewmc.teknowebworks.com/

nxsfan

Post by nxsfan » Mon Aug 08, 2011 4:36 pm

I second winterscape's comment. I've watched a large number of movies via vudu on boxee. The quality is fantastic and there is almost no initial buffering on my 3mbit connection, I don't know how they do it. You get DD surround. The only downside is the price (~$4). I rented my first redbox bluray last night and it's hard to argue with $1.50 a night.

newfiend

Post by newfiend » Mon Aug 08, 2011 5:53 pm

I really wish there were more streaming options/plugins for MC. A VUDU plugin would be great. I think Netflix needs some competition..Might help to balance the inflating price point a bit if more companies offered an easier way to intigrate streaming into MC. Sure we are not a HUGE community using MC but I think there is plenty enough to support such a plugin. I planned on canceling the DVD option and do straight streaming... The DVD's are fine but I much prefer Blu-Ray. I find myself purchasing them on release day also if i think it might be something worth watching.. I'm just too impatient. We deffinately need more streaming plugins/options.
newfiend~

cdcellular

Post by cdcellular » Sat Aug 13, 2011 3:54 am

The reason Netflix pricing has changed is no suprise if you have been paying attention to the state of things. Netflixs contracts with the studios will expire soon and their overhead will be going through the roof.