FTA Satellite West Coast US

Help with tuners from ATI, Hauppauge, AverMedia and more.
TeddyR

HTPC Specs: Show details

FTA Satellite West Coast US

Post by TeddyR » Sat Oct 13, 2012 2:37 am

I am thinking of dabbling a little into Satellite FTA to see what additional channels I can get. I realize I am not in the "normal" area that most FTA satellite users might be (West Coast, USA), but I am looking for channels in the other languages I speak that at not available locally; so starting the research into seeing if it can be done....

My initial questions:
- Is this possible in WMC7 if the region selected is US? ie: Can Cable card/ATSC/DigitalCable and DVB S/S2 tuners be used at the same time in WMC7?
- Any sites for US based satellite channels like KingOfSat.net? KingOfSat.net is great for European info, but not so much for US.
- My initial tuner that I am planning on getting is the: TBS5980 USB DVB S/S2 Digital HDTV tuner. Once that is working, I may add a TBS5980 quad tuner card. Any suggestions for better alternatives or gotchas with these would be helpful.
- The initial dish should probably be a motorized dish, but not sure yet if that is the way to go...
Time is on my side.

erkotz

Post by erkotz » Sat Oct 13, 2012 7:45 am

As far as I know, DVB tuners can coexist with other tuners in WMC. http://www.lyngsat.com is a great resource for channel information for satellite in the US
I'm not sure what, if any, support WMC has for DiSeQ motors.
Quality Assurance Manager, Ceton Corporation

bobbob

Post by bobbob » Sat Oct 13, 2012 9:57 am

i seem to remember barnabas1969 looking into a similar query, not long ago

holidayboy

Post by holidayboy » Sat Oct 13, 2012 10:39 am

Rob.

TGB.tv - the one stop shop for the more discerning Media Center user.

fqr

Post by fqr » Sat Oct 13, 2012 9:45 pm

The best resource I have found was FTAList.com http://www.ftalist.com

The difficuly might be in finding a local installer/source for the parts. If you can find one locally, go with a professional installer that would have the right tools. Although they do not always advertise it, many Dish and DirectTV installers can install it for you for small fee; just be weary since many like to "upsell" services and parts.

- If you can afford it, plan on getting a rotor; It will make ut much more enjoyable..
- The TBS cards are the way to go since they have the most stable BDA drivers
- The TBS 5980 is the best option not only for FTA, but there are some pay services that work with it to unscramble some stations. YMMV

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Sun Oct 14, 2012 9:16 pm

bobbob wrote:i seem to remember barnabas1969 looking into a similar query, not long ago
Yes, but I never bought any tuners or dishes. I didn't like the fact that I'm limited to a 1x4 switch. I didn't want four dishes on my roof... and that wouldn't be enough to get all the satellite channels that I would be interested in.