[CETON UPDATE] Echo, Q and Companion

Talk with fellow members about Ceton's Media Center Extender.
Forum rules
Ceton no longer participate in this forum. Official support may still be handled via the Ceton Ticket system.
adam1991

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by adam1991 » Thu Oct 11, 2012 1:26 pm

ucfknight wrote:After seeing the final specs, I just want to complain that this thing is way too small. Now I'm going to have a lot of extra square inches of shelf space that I'll have to dust or fill with nicknacks.
It may be smaller than the remote receiver for my HTPC.

If this thing does Netflix, I will simply buy one and remove the HTPC IR receiver, put the Echo in its place, and just use the Echo for everyday use, avoiding touching the HTPC itself for everyday use. When I need to, I'll switch the TV input over to the HTPC and pick up the keyboard and use that.

Jonny561201

Post by Jonny561201 » Thu Oct 11, 2012 2:59 pm

Looks like Ceton has updated their webpage so Adam should be happy. It appears as though they have completely removed the Q from the splash page, and it is no longer listed in the index at the bottom. The Echo remote is now showcased and although I dont love it I also dont hate it.

With the news I cant say I will get one, but I will wait to see what the beta testers have to say. I am sure my xbox will be fine for quite some time.

Motz

Post by Motz » Thu Oct 11, 2012 4:06 pm

adam1991 wrote:I'm no webmaster, but it seems to me that by now Ceton would have, oh, removed or otherwise seriously reworked their Q page:

http://cetoncorp.com/products/ceton_q/

"Availability TBD"? Really?
Updated it :)
I Write, Code, and Tweet

erkotz

Post by erkotz » Thu Oct 11, 2012 4:11 pm

ucfknight wrote:After seeing the final specs, I just want to complain that this thing is way too small. Now I'm going to have a lot of extra square inches of shelf space that I'll have to dust or fill with nicknacks.
Just stack 4-5 Echo's in the same space. Problem solved!
Quality Assurance Manager, Ceton Corporation

adam1991

Post by adam1991 » Thu Oct 11, 2012 4:25 pm

Let's just hope we don't have to use some of that space for a Roku...

KFish

Post by KFish » Thu Oct 11, 2012 5:03 pm

erkotz wrote:
Just stack 4-5 Echo's in the same space. Problem solved!
Works for me.

KFish

Post by KFish » Thu Oct 11, 2012 5:07 pm

Motz wrote:
adam1991 wrote:I'm no webmaster, but it seems to me that by now Ceton would have, oh, removed or otherwise seriously reworked their Q page:

http://cetoncorp.com/products/ceton_q/

"Availability TBD"? Really?
Updated it :)
Error 404. :eh: It's now Q-less. :lol: Couldn't help it. The Zing Bot 3000 made me say it. ;)

Oldmajor

Post by Oldmajor » Fri Oct 12, 2012 1:42 pm

I have to say for me personally the lack of a Q in this ecosystem is a deal breaker. In my opinion for this to work for me it needed to be a product that removed me as the "wmc it admin". With the apps, extender, DVR and exclusive plugins I was willing to buy go all in. Now it looks like I paid for a remote app and could replace my Xbox with an echo. I also don't see the difference in selling the echo versus selling the Q. Somebody would still need wmc to make everything work

STC

Post by STC » Fri Oct 12, 2012 2:47 pm

^ I don't think Ceton have a choice right now. WMC embedded is not the same in a licensing sense as the WMC you have installed on your HTPC.
By the Community, for the Community. 100% Commercial Free.

Want decent guide data back? Check out EPG123

Sammy2

Post by Sammy2 » Fri Oct 12, 2012 3:49 pm

Oldmajor wrote:I have to say for me personally the lack of a Q in this ecosystem is a deal breaker. In my opinion for this to work for me it needed to be a product that removed me as the "wmc it admin". With the apps, extender, DVR and exclusive plugins I was willing to buy go all in. Now it looks like I paid for a remote app and could replace my Xbox with an echo. I also don't see the difference in selling the echo versus selling the Q. Somebody would still need wmc to make everything work
I like being the "wmc it admin" but that's me. Actually now that it is set up there isn't any it admin to it because my HTPC has reached "appliance status".

I can see the Q as a viable solution for those that don't want to do that. I have a couple friends that I was telling about the Q but now I guess I'll see if they are interested in the HTPC/Echo solution after I see what the Echo can do. I know they'd like to save money on DVR taxes but don't want to have to worry about it konking out on them either.

ucfknight

Post by ucfknight » Fri Oct 12, 2012 5:38 pm

Sammy2 wrote:
Oldmajor wrote:I have to say for me personally the lack of a Q in this ecosystem is a deal breaker. In my opinion for this to work for me it needed to be a product that removed me as the "wmc it admin". With the apps, extender, DVR and exclusive plugins I was willing to buy go all in. Now it looks like I paid for a remote app and could replace my Xbox with an echo. I also don't see the difference in selling the echo versus selling the Q. Somebody would still need wmc to make everything work
I like being the "wmc it admin" but that's me. Actually now that it is set up there isn't any it admin to it because my HTPC has reached "appliance status".

I can see the Q as a viable solution for those that don't want to do that. I have a couple friends that I was telling about the Q but now I guess I'll see if they are interested in the HTPC/Echo solution after I see what the Echo can do. I know they'd like to save money on DVR taxes but don't want to have to worry about it konking out on them either.

I'm absolutely in the same boat. I was never even going to consider buying the Q for myself. I like setting up and tweaking my own HTPC. I am my own admin.

However, my mother and my brother-in-law were both waiting to buy a Q so they could return their cable company DVRs. They love my WMC setup and wanted to have it in their homes, but they didn't want to have to administer their own system or call me every time they needed help. Having a WMC appliance like the Q was the perfect solution for them. My brother-in-law was looking at getting a Q and 3 echos. My mom was looking at getting a Q and one Echo. Now that I've told them the Q is dead, they don't know what to do and will probably just stick with their cable DVRs.

foxwood

Post by foxwood » Fri Oct 12, 2012 6:10 pm

ucfknight wrote:Now that I've told them the Q is dead,
It's not dead, it's just sleeping!

(Seriously - as soon as Microsoft clarifies the position of Windows 8 Embedded and Media Center, I'd expect to hear an announcement from Ceton).

Jonny561201

Post by Jonny561201 » Fri Oct 12, 2012 6:26 pm

(Seriously - as soon as Microsoft clarifies the position of Windows 8 Embedded and Media Center, I'd expect to hear an announcement from Ceton).
I absolutely agree with this point, but isnt the windows embedded platform typically announced almost a year after the main OS launch? If that is the case then it would have to sit in limbo for far too long to remain relevant, and Ceton may just find out they are no longer supported anyway. The best solution at this point is to either abandon the product or find a new way forward.

Either way it is hugely disappointing, and means a number of people will sit out on these extenders (myself included). Doesnt seem as though MS is making a lot of their hardware partners happy these days.

RyC

Post by RyC » Mon Oct 15, 2012 8:50 pm

Any chance Ceton will release the Q's WMC theme? I think it's really cool looking.

jeonunh

Post by jeonunh » Mon Oct 15, 2012 9:01 pm

RyC wrote:Any chance Ceton will release the Q's WMC theme? I think it's really cool looking.

+1

adam1991

Post by adam1991 » Mon Oct 15, 2012 9:53 pm

The Q's theme should have involved Desmond Llewelyn from the beginning.

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Mon Oct 15, 2012 10:01 pm

adam1991 wrote:The Q's theme should have involved Desmond Llewelyn from the beginning.
I had to Google that one. Funny, and I'm a 007 fan.

adam1991

Post by adam1991 » Mon Oct 15, 2012 11:36 pm

Pay attention.

newfiend

Post by newfiend » Tue Oct 16, 2012 4:46 pm

I'm so broke I can't pay attention...

Sent from my SGH-i937 using Board Express

RyC

Post by RyC » Wed Oct 17, 2012 1:31 am