CableCard Reset/Reboot

Ask about SiliconDusts HomeRun tuners here.
UCBearcat

HTPC Specs: Show details

CableCard Reset/Reboot

Post by UCBearcat » Fri Sep 07, 2012 6:06 am

Hi All,
I ran into an issue with my HRHRPrime tonight that I had not run into before. I'm just checking to see if there is anything I should look out for or check on to make sure it doesn't happen again.
I had 2 simultaneous recordings tonight. I have Time Warner which requires use of a TA. One channel was switched digital, and the other was an actual CC channel (both through the Prime). About 40 minutes into the recordings, I found the "Subscription Required" messages, and the rest of the recordings were ruined.
Log files (below) from the HDHRPrime indicate that the Card Reset.

20120907-00:41:00 CableCARD: card communication error (ccio_serial_asm:325)
20120907-00:41:00 CableCARD: M-CARD reset
20120907-00:41:01 CableCARD: invalid session 0xDEAD (cchost_session:267)
20120907-00:41:06 CableCARD: Cisco card (0103:0001)
20120907-00:41:11 CableCARD: authentication status: authentication in progress
20120907-00:41:11 CableCARD: authentication status: authentication success, activation success

The last time that the HDHRPrime was rebooted was about 2.5 months ago in June. There are no other errors in the HDHRPrime log that indicate anything peculiar. There are no Windows logs that indicate anyting peculiar either.
Is this something that "just happens" from time to time? Or should I be concerned about more trouble down the road? i.e. Should I open a case with Silicondust now?

Full disclosure: I'm not running the most recent F/W on the Prime. I'm running one version behind. *version: 20120128

Thanks for reading!

TeddyR

Post by TeddyR » Fri Sep 07, 2012 10:52 am

I would say to open a ticket with SD to confirm if you need the latest beta firmware which should have this issue fixed. At least as discussed in (http://www.silicondust.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=13016) in their forums.

Their beta firmware can be downloaded from their forum at http://www.silicondust.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2484

Caveat: Once the beta firmware is installed on a Prime, there is no way to go back to older firmware.

It is something that happens from time to time, but in my case updating to the latest beta (20120823b1) has had significant fixes in other issues as well. YMMV.
Time is on my side.

richard1980

Post by richard1980 » Fri Sep 07, 2012 11:36 am

According to the log, the CableCARD itself was reset, not the tuner. I'm guessing the cable company initiated a reset of the CableCARD.

UCBearcat

Post by UCBearcat » Fri Sep 07, 2012 1:38 pm

Big thanks for the replies.
In reading the logs, I thought it looked like the actual card reset and not the Prime. But, I'm still pretty new to the WMC7/CC game (about 7 months) and I still second-guess my diagnoses. If the cable company did reset my card, it would be nice if they didn't do it during prime time TV (i.e 7:40PM)... but I digress.
I started a support ticket with Silicondust, and I'll wait and see what they say. As for the Beta firmware: I've never been a fan of pushing beta f/w into a production environment. Have you had pretty good luck with their Beta F/W? From that link you posted, it seems as though the Beta f/w might be a little buggy from time to time.

Oddly enough, both of the shows that I had scheduled to record were re-run at 1AM, and WMC7 recorded them. Originally, the only recordings that I told WMC to get were for the original time @ 7PM. I'm not complaining, because I now have the re-runs recorded. I just didn't expect this as the original recordings were not set up as a series. They were just single-instance ad-hoc recordings. I can only assume that WMC realized the originals got jacked, and re-scheduled automatically????

Thanks again for the replies. TGB has the best community on the web. I don't post very often, but I stop in here everyday as part of my daily browsing routine. :thumbup:

TeddyR

Post by TeddyR » Fri Sep 07, 2012 3:44 pm

UCBearcat wrote:... As for the Beta firmware: I've never been a fan of pushing beta f/w into a production environment. Have you had pretty good luck with their Beta F/W? From that link you posted, it seems as though the Beta f/w might be a little buggy from time to time.
I went from the 20120405 release to the first beta in August (20120802beta1) . Others have had some major issues with some of the beta that came out in June/July (mainly cablecard needing to be paired again after a reboot of the prime in some configurations). The current beta (20120823beta1) in my case solved several major issues that I was having with the TA timeouts as well as an occasional cablecard reset issue. Other "fixes" that helped were changes in the logic for selecting the next available HDHR3/tuner/ta combo that greatly reduced the effects of some the tuner issues that I was seeing with multiple recordings/viewings. In my case I have a 6CC (essentially same as two 3CCs but in one enclosure) which benefited from that logic change.

20120823beta1 seems to be very stable, and I suspect is very close to becoming the next General release FW. Since your issue is relatively rare, and you dont have other symptoms resolved by the latest beta it may not be urgent to update until it is released. SD support would be able to tell if it is one of the issues resolved or not...
Time is on my side.

UCBearcat

Post by UCBearcat » Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:37 pm

So, SD support recommended the latest beta firmware. Now for the dumb questions... The only time that I have done a f/w update was at initial setup and install. And if I recall, the f/w update was part of the setup... I think. So rather than create unnecessary headaches for myself, I figured I would check with the community first.
Do I want to install the Prime f/w only (.bin file)? Or do I want to run the Windows installer?

I assume the windows installer installs a 'newer' version of the setup/quickTV software... I never use the software package on my media center, so I'm guessing I don't need to update it. If I install f/w only will there be any incompatibility between the software on the PC and the Prime?

Thanks for looking.

Scallica

Post by Scallica » Tue Sep 11, 2012 12:34 am

The installer includes the setup/QuickTV software, firmware, and a driver. I think the best course of action is use the April installer. I have been using it since it was released and it has been rock solid.

http://download.silicondust.com/hdhomer ... 120405.exe
HTPC Enthusiast / Forum Moderator - TGB.tv Code of Conduct