iTap RDP over 3G

Talk about setting up your home network.
mcewinter

HTPC Specs: Show details

iTap RDP over 3G

Post by mcewinter » Thu Aug 23, 2012 8:07 pm

I know there are better places to ask but I thought I'd start here:

Is anybody familiar with the iTap RDP app (Android and iOS)

I can log on to my server locally but I'm looking to access my WHS over 3G using the same app. I'm a bit at a loss as to setting it up. Any basic instructions? I think I only need a push in the right direction.

I think I'm on the right track but I'm getting I/O error.

Ack

Post by Ack » Thu Aug 23, 2012 9:51 pm

I connect using iTap but I connect to VPN first. I do it so seldom and I set it up quite awhile ago so I can't offer specific suggestions other than to ask if you checked their web site? They have some pretty good tutorials. I remember going there a bit to get mine set up.

Their setup guide and manual are pretty good as I recall.

http://itap-mobile.com

bobbob

Post by bobbob » Thu Aug 23, 2012 10:12 pm

i use it. what's the problem? on my iphone i just added my dyndns url left everything else as default and then opened the rdp ports on my router. i think i did have a bit of trouble at first, don't remember why but its fine now

mcewinter

Post by mcewinter » Thu Aug 23, 2012 11:02 pm

I'm glad you mentioned DYNDNS because that's where I was heading next. I tried with my IP address. I have been poking around their site and it sounds like I must either go the VPN route or use a DNS updater as mentioned.

I'll set up DYNDNS and report back.

mcewinter

Post by mcewinter » Fri Aug 24, 2012 2:11 am

So yeah, I was over thinking things. I installed dyndns updater and set up iTap per usual using my hostname instead of an address.

:thumbup:

duffman984

Post by duffman984 » Wed Aug 29, 2012 7:15 pm

You need to either forward RDP, port 3389, to the machine you want to connect to (not suggested!!) or setup a VPN. Your 3G connection is an external address that belongs to the cellular provider. You are trying to hit a machine inside your home network from the outside and you need to create rules in your firewall to allow the external traffic into your network.

I have OpenVPN setup at my house and it works perfectly. I use Junos Pulse on my iPhone to connect to my VPN and then use iTap RDP to connect to my machines at home.