ATI Digital Cable Tuner Pairing Issues

Help with tuners from ATI, Hauppauge, AverMedia and more.
nailsman

HTPC Specs: Show details

ATI Digital Cable Tuner Pairing Issues

Post by nailsman » Tue Aug 07, 2012 6:33 pm

I have tried to pair my ATI DCT with the cable card and I keep getting the message

Tuner 1
CableCard Paring

Authorization Failure 1070
Host Certificate Invalid
There was a technical problem
during the authorization
process. This product may have
some component failure or may
not be designed to be fully
compatible with digital cable
television services. Please
contact the manufacturer or the
retailer.

Is the tuner not compatible with windows 7, or is the tuner broken. I have tried multiple configurations and looked on many forums for answers. None have worked so far. Thanks for any help.

Scallica

Post by Scallica » Tue Aug 07, 2012 7:09 pm

The tuner is compatible with Windows 7. What firmware is loaded on the tuner? The firmware is displayed in the upper right corner and the latest firmware is v1.19.

Second, have you tried using a different CableCard? Some CableCards are DOA.

Finally, as a test, try setting up the tuner as a regular digital tuner in WMC, without the CableCard installed. At the very least, you will be able to tune your local broadcast HD channels via ClearQAM. If that does not work, then the tuner is probably defective.
HTPC Enthusiast / Forum Moderator - TGB.tv Code of Conduct

STC

Post by STC » Tue Aug 07, 2012 11:25 pm

I think I am right in saying the ATIs are only compatible with single stream cable cards and not multi stream cards. Check which type you have.

This is not true, sorry for the mis-information.
By the Community, for the Community. 100% Commercial Free.

Want decent guide data back? Check out EPG123

nailsman

Post by nailsman » Wed Aug 08, 2012 2:15 am

The firmware is up-to-date. I have tried a different card available from comcast. It was the s card I believe, this one is the m card. Neither worked. Both gave me the same error message. I will try setting it up as a regular digital cable card and see if that works. Thanks for the input, I'll let you know if anything works.

STC

Post by STC » Wed Aug 08, 2012 2:28 am

M cards won't work. S cards only in DCTs.

nailsman

Post by nailsman » Wed Aug 08, 2012 3:07 pm

Thanks, so much for your info. I'll go back to Comcast and request an 'S' card from them. Maybe the last one I had was defective? Hope this is the case. I have been trying different configurations for 2 months now.

STC

Post by STC » Wed Aug 08, 2012 4:41 pm

Yes some cards especially pre-used ones can cause problems. Are you sure the DCT is good?

JohnW248

Post by JohnW248 » Wed Aug 08, 2012 11:50 pm

The ATI DCT will run with a M-Card, it runs it in the S-Mode so you shouldn't have a problem there. Are you running Moto or Cisco/SA?
Also make sure you have the last FW update on the device--it was pushed by MS since ATI had stopped selling these before Win7 came out but I think it was 1.19 and came out with the release of Win7. It added support for SDV which was new and it removed the total lock down of DRM. Up to that point anything you recorded was copy once no matter what the coding was on the signal. That changed with the 1.19 FW.

All in all, they never did run too well, I always had trouble getting the diagnostic page to load for the tuning adapter and its one channel per device. And these do run hot. But they should still run with M-cards on all systems except those that use dual-crypt since that came after the FW update. The FW was written by Keystone Digital and the rumor was that MS paid to have it done to update the device until the Ceton was released.

JohnW248

Post by JohnW248 » Wed Aug 08, 2012 11:54 pm

nailsman wrote:I have tried to pair my ATI DCT with the cable card and I keep getting the message

Tuner 1
CableCard Paring

Authorization Failure 1070
Host Certificate Invalid
There was a technical problem
during the authorization
process. This product may have
some component failure or may
not be designed to be fully
compatible with digital cable
television services. Please
contact the manufacturer or the
retailer.

Is the tuner not compatible with windows 7, or is the tuner broken. I have tried multiple configurations and looked on many forums for answers. None have worked so far. Thanks for any help.
I just saw your first post. The certificate in the tuner is invalid. This device cannot be updated or used at this point. At some point in 2009 someone found a group of these devices which had been made for beta testers and was selling them on ebay. Unfortunately all DCT devices have certificates burned in them and you need special FW from ATI to update this to make it operational if that is even possible.

It looks like its time to move on and pick up a Ceton or SD Prime which have multiple tuners and also something that the ATI DCT never had: customer support.

John

STC

Post by STC » Thu Aug 09, 2012 2:10 pm

Arrggh!

My apologies. It's been a long time since talk of DCT's.
I really did believe M-Cards would not work in them. My mind must have mixed up the fact you cant run S-Cards in Ceton or HDHRP's (who would want to anyway?) and not the other way around.

John found out the true reason why it wasn't working, so it's time for a new tuner.