7MC ATSC/QAM/NTSC Hybrid card recognized as ONLY Analog

Help with tuners from ATI, Hauppauge, AverMedia and more.
Baldric

HTPC Specs: Show details

7MC ATSC/QAM/NTSC Hybrid card recognized as ONLY Analog

Post by Baldric » Fri Jul 27, 2012 3:04 pm

Hi all,

I have a Sabrent PCI Hybrid TV Card (Digital ATSC TV/QAM/NTSC/FM Model TV-PCIDG) installed and am running W7 Ultimate. The card came with Blaze Video. I've installed about 20 times, changed slots, downloaded latest W7 drivers and still have this problem: Blaze Video (and even MediaPortal) detects my Charter QAM channels fine, but MCE can't. The reason is MC detects the card as Analog only, therefore not giving me the QAM option in the first place, therefore not even allowing me to add channels manually.

I'm at a loss, I've searched everywhere (including this forum and Windows Experts Community) and haven't seen any posts with a similar issue, let alone resolution. I'll try anything at this stage, is there a registry setting that can force QAM . .or something else?

Help me Greenbutton..you're my only hope!

Scallica

Post by Scallica » Fri Jul 27, 2012 3:42 pm

There is a significant amount of negative reviews on Newegg about this tuner. I would consider investing in a new tuner.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... llFullInfo
HTPC Enthusiast / Forum Moderator - TGB.tv Code of Conduct

Baldric

Post by Baldric » Fri Jul 27, 2012 6:12 pm

It's weird, I assume because I can find channels in QAM with Blaze, which I agree is a pretty basic tuner, but nonetheless does work, then why not MCE? Sure, a new tuner would probably fix the issue, but it does bug me that technically this one works fine.

BTW, I did write to Sabrent and surprisingly they responded very quickly. Their response:

"The card only supports the software it was bundled with, you may have some features in media center"

I guess QAM is not one of the "features"!

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Fri Jul 27, 2012 6:18 pm

If Sabrent doesn't supply a driver for Media Center, your options are limited.

richard1980

Post by richard1980 » Fri Jul 27, 2012 6:35 pm

Have you tried manually configuring the tuner in WMC? I can't remember the exact process, but at some point WMC will come up with a list of detected tuners, which probably only includes the analog tuner. Instead of saying yes, you have the option to manually configure the tuner.

Baldric

Post by Baldric » Fri Jul 27, 2012 6:41 pm

Hmm, I don't recall see anywhere to manually configure a tuner in TV setup - anyone else recall?

dmagerl

Post by dmagerl » Sat Jul 28, 2012 2:41 am

Yes. When it says its scanning for channels, just hit cancel. It will then give you an option to set up manually.

Frankly, I always do that because it always seems to get the automatic detection wrong, and its quicker.

Baldric

Post by Baldric » Sat Jul 28, 2012 1:08 pm

Nope..selecting cancel and manually set up yields the same result - Analog Tuner choices only.

richard1980

Post by richard1980 » Sat Jul 28, 2012 2:23 pm

I think dmagerl sent you down the wrong path. Before you get to the channel scan, WMC detects the tuners, and shows you the following screen:
clip_image020[5].jpg
Configure the tuner manually.