Remote Potato Replacement?

BBB3000

HTPC Specs: Show details

Remote Potato Replacement?

Post by BBB3000 » Fri Jul 06, 2012 1:01 pm

Does anyone know of any replacements for Remote Potato, specifically the mobile application? It looks like the developer has stopped updating the application. The mobile app for the iphone is incredibly buggy, slow, and cumbersome to use. I was hoping they would fix all the issues, especially with the guide, but since that has not happened I am ready for a new solution.

bobbob

Post by bobbob » Fri Jul 06, 2012 1:10 pm

i could never even get a series to schedule properly and the developer tried to insist it was me. he was quite rude about it, until others started turning up.

thankfully i see the future being that i'll be using the iOS DVBLink App for scheduling new recordings and air video for streaming. longer term i'm hoping someone develops xbmc streaming for iphone

lithium630

Post by lithium630 » Fri Jul 06, 2012 1:11 pm

Ceton's mobile app is still in a closed beta, but will be excellent when it's released.

BBB3000

Post by BBB3000 » Fri Jul 06, 2012 6:10 pm

What is iOS DVBLink App?

I saw that app for Ceton but unfortunately I have a SiliconDust HD HomeRun Prime. I think that means I can't use it?

bobbob

Post by bobbob » Fri Jul 06, 2012 6:30 pm

dvblink is piece of intermediary software which is compatible with more tuners than WMC. it then supplies these to WMC as virtual tuners. because it has an interface you can use it with other clients. it basically streams live tv from an epg and you can schedule recordings

lithium630

Post by lithium630 » Fri Jul 06, 2012 7:26 pm

I THINK it should work with other tuners. Streaming has not been implemented yet though.

BBB3000

Post by BBB3000 » Fri Jul 06, 2012 7:33 pm

ill have to check it out. i dont need it for streaming, i just want it to set up recording. does this change anything else on my MC setup? or will it just sit in the background.

STC

Post by STC » Fri Jul 06, 2012 7:49 pm

BBB3000 wrote:I saw that app for Ceton but unfortunately I have a SiliconDust HD HomeRun Prime. I think that means I can't use it?
The Ceton app will be available to any MC user, no matter what tuner(s) they use.
By the Community, for the Community. 100% Commercial Free.

Want decent guide data back? Check out EPG123

carlosp_uk

Post by carlosp_uk » Sat Jul 07, 2012 10:34 am

bobbob wrote:i could never even get a series to schedule properly and the developer tried to insist it was me. he was quite rude about it, until others started turning up.
That's odd, I'm surprised to read myself being accused of being rude since I normally take great care to be polite in dealing with interactions.

In fact I'm a little offended by this. Perhaps you could get in touch and show me exactly how and when I was rude to you. If necessary I'll apologise.

If you decide that perhaps I was not, then perhaps you might consider retracting this comment?

Thanks

Carlos

BBB3000

Post by BBB3000 » Sat Jul 07, 2012 12:05 pm

Carlos, is it true that there will not be any updates to the iPhone app to fix the issues with the EPG?

carlosp_uk

Post by carlosp_uk » Sat Jul 07, 2012 2:25 pm

BBB3000 wrote:Carlos, is it true that there will not be any updates to the iPhone app to fix the issues with the EPG?
Thanks for asking. Not at all, in fact I use the iOS app all the time and I'm keen to get this resolved, I'll definitely be working on more updates in the future.

BBB3000

Post by BBB3000 » Sat Jul 07, 2012 2:27 pm

carlosp_uk wrote:
BBB3000 wrote:Carlos, is it true that there will not be any updates to the iPhone app to fix the issues with the EPG?
Thanks for asking. Not at all, in fact I use the iOS app all the time and I'm keen to get this resolved, I'll definitely be working on more updates in the future.
Looking forward to it. Getting the guide to work flawlessly would be a huge plus!

carlosp_uk

Post by carlosp_uk » Sat Jul 07, 2012 2:29 pm

I have some Remote Potato news that is relevant to this thread. In fact, I've announced it here in more detail. As you can see, I'm struggling to find time support the free server, and leaving the forums as a 'user-helps-user' concept didn't seem to be doing much except prompting understandable confusion as to the support status of the project.

So, as you can see from the fuller explanation I have decided to close the forums, but more importantly, I want to make Remote Potato Server open source so that development can continue. I know many people have features that want to see, or issues fixed. I think this is the right way ahead. I'm definitely keen to hear from anyone that would be interested in maintaining the repository or contributing, i.e. getting commit access.

UPDATE: The Source code is now online here

Best wishes

Carlos

STC

Post by STC » Sat Jul 07, 2012 5:30 pm

Carlos, I would certainly say thanks for the product. I've used the free version for a long time with an iphone and through remote PC's.
It really is/was a good product. A few quirks here and there but very usable. And free? Well, I'm certainly in no position to complain.

I did buy you a beer I recall :)

Thanks again!

lucidrenegade

Post by lucidrenegade » Sat Jul 07, 2012 7:26 pm

carlosp_uk wrote:
I want to make Remote Potato Server open source so that development can continue. I know many people have features that want to see, or issues fixed. I think this is the right way ahead. I'm definitely keen to hear from anyone that would be interested in maintaining the repository or contributing, i.e. getting commit access.

UPDATE: The Source code is now online here

Best wishes

Carlos
This is absolutely the right thing to do. I've seen so many other great MCE apps, specifically Media Center Studio, become abandonware when they could have just been open sourced.

lsujay

Post by lsujay » Mon Jul 09, 2012 3:47 am

That's odd, I'm surprised to read myself being accused of being rude since I normally take great care to be polite in dealing with interactions.

In fact I'm a little offended by this. Perhaps you could get in touch and show me exactly how and when I was rude to you. If necessary I'll apologise.

If you decide that perhaps I was not, then perhaps you might consider retracting this comment?

Thanks

Carlos
I find it very odd myself... All that I can remember before Remote Potato coming out is the negative talk about the old software that was no longer working (It's been so long I can't even remember the name of the old software) when the developer went to work for Microsoft full time and abandoned it. Remote Potato is an awesome piece of software that I use on an almost daily basis.

I use an android phone and don't have any issues at all using my remote potato mobile app including streaming non-protected content (I use this very often) and couldn't be more thrilled to use this free software.

I would like to give a very big thanks to Carlos for his hard work on this project to this point and as far as I'm concerned everything that he has done is as much as you could expect for free and probably more so.

I absolutely love my Ceton tuner and expect the mobile app to be first class, but I can predict with some certainty that it will not be free.

EDIT: I didn't remember that the iphone app was an app that needed to be paid for... I'm sure I bought it when I was still on iOS, but very happy to be in the Android world now.

bobbob

Post by bobbob » Wed Jul 11, 2012 4:44 pm

carlosp_uk wrote:
bobbob wrote:i could never even get a series to schedule properly and the developer tried to insist it was me. he was quite rude about it, until others started turning up.

Thanks

Carlos
actually i made a couple of mistakes in that comment, for which i am blaming the time since this happened:

you weren't rude in your response you were rude in your lack of response http://forums.fatattitude.com/viewtopic ... 6&start=30 longest thread on the front page and no responses from the developer despite 5 others logging the same issue since i did
i gave the impression that once the other users started complaining you did something about it. as you will see from the thread you did not. you just blamed everyone else.

does that deserve an apology?

STC

Post by STC » Wed Jul 11, 2012 4:50 pm

Bobbob, did you pay for the product?

Scallica

Post by Scallica » Wed Jul 11, 2012 6:35 pm

lsujay wrote:All that I can remember before Remote Potato coming out is the negative talk about the old software that was no longer working (It's been so long I can't even remember the name of the old software) when the developer went to work for Microsoft full time and abandoned it.
I think it was called WebGuide4.
HTPC Enthusiast / Forum Moderator - TGB.tv Code of Conduct

cjmccarthy72

Post by cjmccarthy72 » Wed Jul 11, 2012 8:55 pm

Carlos, just to say I am very appreciative for your efforts wth Remote Potato as I am sure many others are- it seems to be a thankless task, and not only from Microsoft.