New issues w/ streaming x264 from W8 to Xbox

malciv

HTPC Specs: Show details

New issues w/ streaming x264 from W8 to Xbox

Post by malciv » Thu Jul 05, 2012 1:23 pm

Earlier this week I installed the Windows 8 Release Preview on my PC. Before the install I had no problems streaming x264 video from my PC to my Xbox 360 via WMC. After the install, all of my x264 files still play perfectly fine on my PC, but won’t play on my Xbox. At first I thought I lost the codec when installing W8 RP and all I would have to do is install some software, but the x264 videos still run on my PC so that doesn’t add up in my mind. Any thoughts would be helpful. I’m still a novice at this stuff so please type slowly. Thanks!

BTW – The general performance of Windows Media Center on my Xbox has substantially improved with the Windows 8 installed. I no longer experience lag while scrolling through the menus. Movies actually pause on the first tap of the pause button. Previously pause was a crapshoot. I have to say I’m pleased with everything except the mysterious disappearance of x264 support.

bmblank

Post by bmblank » Thu Jul 05, 2012 1:28 pm

I've been pondering the upgrade to 8. To me, not being able to play x264 on an xbox is a deal breaker. Please let us know if somebody figures it out cause I'm all for quicker response time and the like.

malciv

Post by malciv » Thu Jul 05, 2012 1:39 pm

I was on the fence about upgrading, but when I heard it would only cost $40 and WMC was included I figured I would take the plunge when its released this fall... and since I made the decision to definitely upgrade I figured I might as well take part in the Release Preview now. So far its been a mixed bag. Obviously I am having issues with x264 WMC support. I also feel the interface is clunky with a mouse and keyboard, but I see the vision and I am looking forward to experiencing W8 on a touch screen.

saxnix

Post by saxnix » Sat Jul 14, 2012 7:23 am

Apart from the x264 issue, and the increase responsiveness, what are some of the other things you have noticed using the xbox as a Media Center extender?