Cannot copy recordings anymore

electriclarryland

HTPC Specs: Show details

Cannot copy recordings anymore

Post by electriclarryland » Sun Jul 01, 2012 6:31 pm

I have been using WMP to record OTA TV on a Win7 desktop successfully for over 6 months. I am able to view these programs on my W7 laptop through my homegroup network. I used to be able to copy these programs from the desktop to the laptop for later viewing when I am away from an internet connection. However, now when I press the option "Make a copy" I get an error message saying "Copy Failed".
Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (55.78 KiB) Viewed 510 times
I thought I may have to change to default recording folder on the laptop, so I went to "Tasks", "Settings", "TV", but instead of a tab for "Recording" all I have is blank space between the "TV" and "Set Up TV Signal" tabs.
Capture2.PNG
Does anyone have a clue how I can get my copy ability back?

adam1991

Post by adam1991 » Sun Jul 01, 2012 7:05 pm

Is the content marked with DRM of some kind?

It will show that when you look at the show inside MC, or you can look at the recording file itself in Windows Explorer and get Properties, and somewhere in there will tell you if it's copy freely or copy once or whatever.

If for some reason it has DRM on it, that would explain things. On the other hand, that would bother me--because OTA isn't supposed to have restriction flags on it.

electriclarryland

Post by electriclarryland » Sun Jul 01, 2012 11:34 pm

There is no DRM and all file permissions are allowed. I had no trouble a few months ago, but when I tried to make copies yesterday, I came up with the error message. What i really can't figure out is why I have no "recording" tab on the "Tasks", "Settings", "TV" screen. It just disappeared!

richard1980

Post by richard1980 » Mon Jul 02, 2012 12:43 am

The laptop doesn't appear to have a tuner configured. Once a tuner is configured, the item "Set Up TV Signal" should go away and you will have three other options in its place:

Recorder
Guide
TV Signal

electriclarryland

Post by electriclarryland » Mon Jul 02, 2012 11:18 am

It never had a tuner hooked-up to begin with, but I was able to copy shows from my desktop which has a 2 tuner card installed. I could try using a cheap USB tuner to do the set-up as suggested, but the function I want back is to be able to record on the desktop and then copy to the laptop.

mark1234

Post by mark1234 » Mon Jul 02, 2012 11:26 am

You could always copy using Windows Explorer.
Windows Media Centre - Abandoned by Microsoft

electriclarryland

Post by electriclarryland » Wed Jul 04, 2012 3:19 am

Thanks, I forgot I had that option. I'm copying the shows that way, just like any other file. I thought I had tried that before and it didn't work, but it's working fine now.