Error 1290 with Media Center Extender Service

Troubleshoot and discuss the XBOX 360, XBOX One, Linksys, and other extenders.
ChrisM6794

HTPC Specs: Show details

Error 1290 with Media Center Extender Service

Post by ChrisM6794 » Sun Jun 10, 2012 6:08 pm

Hi, I'm trying to set up my Xbox 360 as an extended on Windows 7 Professional. When I enter the 8-digit code, I get:
Configuration Error
An error was encountered while configuring your computer for use with this Extender.
In the event log, it says:
Media Center Extender Setup cannot configure or start the Windows Media Center Extender service.

Error: The service start failed since one or more services in the same process have an incompatible service SID type setting. A service with restricted service SID type can only coexist in the same process with other services with a restricted SID type. If the service SID type for this service was just configured, the hosting process must be restarted in order to start this service.
I get same error when trying to start the service manually.

Does anyone have suggestions for this? I have firewall disabled, no anti-virus, Xbox and PC can see each other on the wired connection. I am logged in as administrator and I haven't previously messed around with any of the services. Thanks in advance :)

newfiend

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by newfiend » Sun Jun 10, 2012 10:09 pm

Open an elevated .cmd Prompt and type sfc /scannow
see if it finds and repairs any corrupt system files on your PC.
If it does repair files then try removing and reinstalling the Xbox as an extender.

To uninstall Xbox 360 and remove the Extender connection
You must first remove any existing connection between the Xbox 360 console and the computer.

When you uninstall Xbox 360 as an Extender, the Media Center Extender account (named MCX1 by default) is removed from your Windows Media Center computer and all settings for the Extender are removed as well. After you uninstall the Extender, you can add it again at a later time.

To remove the Xbox 360 Extender connection, you must perform steps on both Xbox 360 and on the Windows Media Center computer.
1. On your Windows Media Center computer, start Windows Media Center.

2. On the start screen, scroll to Tasks, and then click settings.

3. Click Extender, and then click the Xbox 360 console.

4. Click Uninstall.

5. Follow the steps in the Extender Uninstall wizard to uninstall the Extender.

6. On your Xbox 360, use your Xbox 360 controller to scroll to My Xbox, select System Settings, and then select Computers.

7. Select Windows Media Center, and then press the A button.

8. Select Disconnect.

9. Press the B button repeatedly until you return to the System Settings screen.

10. If the Xbox 360 console has a hard drive or a memory card, on the System Settings screen, select Memory.

11. Select Hard Drive, select Games, select Xbox 360 Dashboard, and then select Windows Media Center.

12. Select Delete, and then press the A button.

13. Press the B button repeatedly until you return to the System Settings screen.

After Doing this restart the PC and Then try adding the Xbox again.
newfiend~