Custom remote (with minimal function)

A place to talk about GPUs/Motherboards/CPUs/Cases/Remotes, etc.
payneardo

HTPC Specs: Show details

Custom remote (with minimal function)

Post by payneardo » Fri May 04, 2012 12:44 pm

Hi all,

I have a question if its possible to have a custom remote that only allows the user to change channels, change the volume and also mute but nothing else. I was looking at a "learning remote" and just learn it these command but wondered if anybody else done this already and what remote you bought etc. This is for a "public area" and don't want them to access the other areas (I have already the command to boot straight in media centre with Live TV playing). and of course I will need an IR receiver as well (based in the UK)

Hope somebody can help

Cheers

Payneardo

richard1980

Post by richard1980 » Fri May 04, 2012 1:26 pm

Logitech Harmony remotes can do this (well, at least the 300 and 200 can anyway...I'm not sure about the other Harmony remotes, or any other brand of programmable remote).

makryger

Post by makryger » Fri May 04, 2012 1:35 pm

I recently purchased a Phillips learning remote for a family member, and was suprised to see that it had Media Center command tables in its database. But you could just learn individual commands and keep the rest blank. The remote was about $10.
My Channel Logos XL: Get your Guide looking good! ~~~~ TunerSalad: Increase the 4-tuner limit in 7MC

assassin

Post by assassin » Fri May 04, 2012 1:50 pm

Check out Flirc.

Highly recommended.

payneardo

Post by payneardo » Fri May 04, 2012 2:09 pm

Thanks for all the suggestions its much appreciated :thumbup:

seen the logitech remotes on special offer and will look at purchasing one :)

also found the Hip remote software on my travels round a few forums and going try loading the MCE commands and take out the commands I don't want and see if runs on startup with just the channel and volume commands :)

Thanks again for taking time to reply :D