Extenders: TV Portion Works!

Musictype

HTPC Specs: Show details

Extenders: TV Portion Works!

Post by Musictype » Tue Apr 17, 2012 6:07 am

When accessed directly, that is.

I installed my old 2100 tonight, just to see if the reports are true.

Initially, I had an error configuring the extender, but after trying again, it configured it and the HTPC said that it synced the media library and connected to the extender.

Unfortunately, the extender TV gives a dark screen -- no menus and no way to navigate.

So, just to see what will happen, I pressed the direct access Live TV on my Harmony remote, and lo and behold, live TV picture came on. I can change channels and watch TV normally.

At the end, it appears that the issue of W8 is not communicating with the extender, but showing the desktop and the menus.

Maybe there is hope, after all, that our extenders will dodge the bullet this time as well.... :think:

JazJon

Post by JazJon » Thu Jul 12, 2012 12:45 am

I hope the non-Xbox extenders will be supported in Windows 8! So far non of the pre-release versions of Windows 8 seem to work. :-/

erkotz

Post by erkotz » Thu Jul 12, 2012 3:56 pm

Are others having trouble with the Xbox? I just hooked up a 360 to Win8 and it synced up/worked with no problem - I could see menus and everything.
Quality Assurance Manager, Ceton Corporation

saxnix

Post by saxnix » Sat Jul 14, 2012 7:30 am

Musictype wrote:When accessed directly, that is.

Initially, I had an error configuring the extender, but after trying again, it configured it and the HTPC said that it synced the media library and connected to the extender.

Unfortunately, the extender TV gives a dark screen -- no menus and no way to navigate.

So, just to see what will happen, I pressed the direct access Live TV on my Harmony remote, and lo and behold, live TV picture came on. I can change channels and watch TV normally.

At the end, it appears that the issue of W8 is not communicating with the extender, but showing the desktop and the menus.

Maybe there is hope, after all, that our extenders will dodge the bullet this time as well.... :think:
I haven't used extenders in a few years now (went to dedicated PC's), and need a reminder..... when connecting to Win 8, does the guide show scheduled recordings the same as on the host PC?

mark1234

Post by mark1234 » Mon Jul 16, 2012 10:26 am

Yes.
Windows Media Centre - Abandoned by Microsoft

saxnix

Post by saxnix » Mon Jul 16, 2012 11:34 pm

Thanks Mark.

gravymonster

Post by gravymonster » Wed Oct 17, 2012 2:23 pm

saxnix wrote:
Musictype wrote:When accessed directly, that is.

I haven't used extenders in a few years now (went to dedicated PC's), and need a reminder..... when connecting to Win 8, does the guide show scheduled recordings the same as on the host PC?
Correct me if I'm wrong, but dedicated PC's aren't capable of showing Live TV like an extender can, correct? Otherwise I would have switched a long time ago.

saxnix

Post by saxnix » Wed Oct 17, 2012 8:01 pm

A dedicated PC needs its own tuner to show live tv. It can't connect to another PC the way an extender does. They can however see recorded tv from another PC as soon as it starts recording.

adam1991

Post by adam1991 » Wed Oct 17, 2012 8:18 pm

saxnix wrote:I haven't used extenders in a few years now (went to dedicated PC's), and need a reminder..... when connecting to Win 8, does the guide show scheduled recordings the same as on the host PC?
The extender is *showing* the host PC. It's not showing "the same as on the host" at all. What you see via extender is a special-case remote session on the host PC itself.

skioutwest

Post by skioutwest » Sun Oct 28, 2012 12:49 am

I just tried to setup my DSM-750 extender and I am having the same issue. Will try to directly access live TV, but otherwise the screen is black.

-Mark