Trouble matching mobo with processer

A place to talk about GPUs/Motherboards/CPUs/Cases/Remotes, etc.
makryger

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by makryger » Tue Apr 10, 2012 4:07 am

To add a bit of explanation to barnabas' suggestion- while the Ceton tuner does have the advantage of having an extra tuner for a slightly lower price, there are select members that experience a momentary corrupting of a recording, resulting in a thin blocky bar that spans the screen. Ceton has not been able to fix the issue in many months. If Newegg is any indication, then you should know that 20% of Ceton PCIe users rate the product 3 stars or less, whereas only 14% of Silicondust users rate their tuner 3 stars or less. (Similar numbers on amazon.) The Ceton USB unit, however, has had a history of being more unstable than the PCIe model. So if you were planning on going with an external box, (and don't mind having 3 tuners rather than 4), the Silicondust HDHRP may be more stable for your needs. My opinion has mostly been formed from review statistics and watching of other threads, but in all honesty, neither barnabas nor I have actually used the HD HR Prime for any extended period of time. So, as with any product, your mileage may vary.
My Channel Logos XL: Get your Guide looking good! ~~~~ TunerSalad: Increase the 4-tuner limit in 7MC

adam1991

Post by adam1991 » Tue Apr 10, 2012 6:15 am

On the other hand, I'll go out on a limb and suggest that the Ceton is a great solution from a great company.

From my perspective, anyway.

mcewinter

Post by mcewinter » Tue Apr 10, 2012 11:28 am

The Silicondust tuner is a network tuner meaning it is available to all PCs on your network.

The InfiniTV4 is PCIe and they have a USB version meant to be installed directly to a PC. Note that the InfiniTV4 can be networked as well but with less grace. Not everybody experiences the macroblocking issue mentioned previously and they are good about addressing most issues; try to take that into account.

One may suit your needs better than the other; weigh your options.
Last edited by mcewinter on Tue Apr 10, 2012 1:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Tue Apr 10, 2012 12:52 pm

mcewinter wrote:they are good about addressing issues; try to take that into account.
Yes, by all means... take into account that this issue has been around for a long time. They were able to replicate the problem in October 2011, but it still isn't fixed. So, please, make sure to take that into account.

mcewinter

Post by mcewinter » Tue Apr 10, 2012 1:54 pm

barnabas1969 wrote:
mcewinter wrote:they are good about addressing issues; try to take that into account.
Yes, by all means... take into account that this issue has been around for a long time. They were able to replicate the problem in October 2011, but it still isn't fixed. So, please, make sure to take that into account.
I edited my post.

As I stated somewhere...Silicondust had an issue that left some isolated customers waiting for a fix however I don't believe it was over six months but customers complained about the timeframe and silence never the less.

I am a happy SD customer for the record.

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Tue Apr 10, 2012 1:59 pm

Well, many people have been having issues with the Ceton tuner crashing too. I wasn't affected by that problem. Possibly because I didn't want to update firmware until they fixed the macroblocking issue. I may have had an old enough firmware to not be affected by the crashing issue. I did, however, update my firmware a few days ago, and this caused me to get "weak TV signal" and "service unavailable" messages when trying to change channels. I just reverted to the older firmware while I wait for my new HD HomeRun Prime.

Jade10145

Post by Jade10145 » Wed Apr 18, 2012 4:19 am

Hey Everyone,

So I just wanted to thank all of you for your input. I decieded to finally take a breath and buy my components. I recieved everything last Friday......except for the case! Bahhhhhh!!!

So needless to say my ADD wasn't going to let me keep everything in the boxes until the case finally came. So I ended up setting everything up on table sans case. Got it up and running and although my testing has been limited everything seems to be working very well. The case has come in but unfortanatley I'm out of town on bussiness. I'm very excited for when I get back home to put this thing together in the case! New toy!

Anyways thanks again for your help. I appreciate all the detailed responses more then you know. I'm still learning at this point but I can't wait to see what features I can get set up. Be sure there will be more questions haha. :wave:
Tyler Durden: It's only after we've lost everything that we're free to do anything.

Tyler Durden: Now, a question of etiquette - as I pass, do I give you the ass or the crotch?