WAMM (Windows Auto Movie Manager)

jxdlab

HTPC Specs: Show details

WAMM (Windows Auto Movie Manager)

Post by jxdlab » Mon Mar 26, 2012 6:19 am

I'm looking for some beta testers to try out some software I'm working on as a hobby. In the past couple of years I've gotten used to the convenience of netflix and amazon vod, but the thing that bothers me is compatibility on certain devices and the poor quality when I want to watch at home on a big screen tv with 5.1 sound. Because of that I tend to favor physical media like dvd's and blu-rays, but getting them in a format that works with my WMC setup and portable devices while being flexible for the future was time consuming for me. I use WMC in my living room and Xbox extenders every where else, along with a cell phone. When I want to watch a movie, I don't like dealing with format incompatibilities, I just want to watch the movie.

Basically WAMM, takes DVD and Blu-ray backups and converts them to h264 video/5.1 ac3 sound that works in WMC and Xbox extenders, creates a low bit rate h264/aac file for portable devices and streaming, downloads basic meta info(cover art, synopsis, etc), and creates web pages for all your movies so you can access them from any device). Just rip your movies into the folder, and WAMM runs at night and converts your movies. The next morning they are ready to go: Watch them in WMC, open the webpage on your cell phone and stream/download it, or watch on your xbox extenders.

Who this software is for . . .

-Use Win 7 WMC, Xbox Extenders, and portable devices(phones, ipads) as their primary media players (and don't like 3rd party codec installs)

-People who love the picture and sound quality of physical media, but like convenience and easy portability of ripped copies

-People who backup a lot of movies from Blurays and DVD's and don't like manually converting each movie to formats that work with windows/xbox extender/mobile versions

-Wants to auto convert movies at night while the computer is not in use

-Has Windows Home server or home website and wants to convert movies to stream over the lan/internet to their personal devices

-Wants the basic meta info automatically populated (genre, synopsis, parental rating, cover art, release date)

-Somewhat tech savvy

Please try it out and post in the forum with any feedback. You don't have to throw your entire movie libratry in the folder. Just a few movies will work. And it runs independently from any other movie folders you have so it shouldn't mess anything up. Instructions and more details are below. Thanks

INSTRUCTIONS

Download and install .Net Framework: http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/de ... n&id=24872

Download and unzip WAMM: https://www.jxdlab.com/downloads/software/WAMM.zip

Open "WAMM.exe"

Press the "CONFIGURE" button
main.png
main screen
Setup your folder locations and other details. Then press "SAVE"
configure.png
configure

Place DVD/Blu-ray rips in the "YOURDRIVE/Movies/wammfolder" . . . . . WAMM should do the rest at the scheduled time.

Compatible formats to put in wammfolder:

DVD ISO's
DVD VOB's
DVD VIDEO_TS folder

Bluray MKV
Bluray BDMV Folder

*MKV's, VOB's, and ISO's can be either inside or outside a folder, but the file name must match the folder name if they are inside a folder (example: Folder = Cars 2, File = Cars 2.mkv)
NOTE: Associated .sub, .idx, .srt, .pgs files should have the same name as the movie file (ie. Toy Story.mkv, Toy Story.srt)

*For VIDEO_TS and BDMV moves, they should be inside a folder named by the movie
Example:
Main Folder = Cars 2
Sub Folder = BDMV

Main Folder = Aliens
Sub Folder = VIDEO_TS

.mp4, .m4v, .wmv, .avi, .ts, .m2ts files will be placed inside a folder and meta will be pulled in, but they will not be converted since WMC is already compatible with these file types (assuming they are DRM free). Low bit rate portable versions, however, will be created

If a dvdid.xml file exist for a movie, the data will be kept as is and won't be deleted

Forced subtitles for DVD ISO's, DVD VIDEO_TS, and Bluray BDMV will be burned to the video.
Separate subtitle files(.idx, .srt, etc) will remain with the folder, but you'll need to use a separate player like VLC if you want control of what you see (I've noticed most bluray movies already have the subtitle images burned to the video if you watching it in the region intended) I haven't found a good way to manage subtitles so you'll just have to try and see what works.

Additional Instructions

If you want to Edit or Delete movies after WAMM has converted them, go back to the Main Screen and press "CHANGE META/DELETE MOVIES"

You can then edit or delete movies already converted by WAMM
meta.png
meta
Webpages with all your movies are created as well:

Full Site

Mobile Site

DETAILS

-WAMM takes dvd ISO, dvd video_ts folders, dvd vobs, bluray mkv's, and bluray BDMV folders and converts them to WMC/Xbox Extender compatible h264/ac3(5.1 sound) transport stream files. (1920x1080 downconverted to 1280x720 and 720x576/480 is kept as is.

- portable low bitrate h264/aac is also created for internet streaming/portable devices and an optional basic mobile compatible webpage to watch the videos via HTML5 or download is also created (assuming you have a home website)

-Uses Windows Task Scheduler to automate

-Basic meta data will also be populated for WMC and xbox extenders

-Uses Handbrake and VLC for conversions

-Large buttons for use on HTPC's

-Network drives will not work

-The program assumes all .iso's and .vobs are in dvd format

-Doesn't work with DRM'd material