Nvidia WHQL 296.10 = 29/59 bug..Again (Workaround FIX!)

A place to talk about GPUs/Motherboards/CPUs/Cases/Remotes, etc.
newfiend

HTPC Specs: Show details

Nvidia WHQL 296.10 = 29/59 bug..Again (Workaround FIX!)

Post by newfiend » Fri Mar 16, 2012 1:03 am

Nvidia's Latest WHQL driver 296.10 still has the 59/29 bug. I would avoid it at this time for HTPC purpose.
I was able to verify this with an Install of the latest Driver and a previous recording that exhibits the 59/29 bug.
Just wanted to give everyone the heads up on this and hopefully spare a little grief for some.
newfiend~
Last edited by newfiend on Fri Jun 01, 2012 2:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

lurch66

Post by lurch66 » Fri Mar 16, 2012 2:53 am

Thanks for the heads up

newfiend

Post by newfiend » Mon May 28, 2012 9:17 pm

In case anyone is wondering ..
The latest Nvidia Driver 301.42 still has the 29/59 Bug.
I'm stating to think this is never going to get fixed.
newfiend~

StumpyBloke

Post by StumpyBloke » Mon May 28, 2012 11:07 pm

Do nvidia even acknowledge this bug?
Rich

STC

Post by STC » Tue May 29, 2012 12:55 am

^ I went back to ATI.
Gentlemen, it's been a pleasure.

:D
By the Community, for the Community. 100% Commercial Free.

Want decent guide data back? Check out EPG123

StumpyBloke

Post by StumpyBloke » Tue May 29, 2012 5:31 pm

Personally I don't even know what this bug is (poss stutters?) and I don't care. I don't use Media Center much to worry, but, it must be very frustrating for people who this affects. Why aren't nvidia sorting this?
Rich

newfiend

Post by newfiend » Wed May 30, 2012 2:12 pm

Its like a white flicker on screen when the frame rate changes from 59hz to 29hz. Very annoying. The GT430 used to handle this very well but as of late the updated driver packages have made it terrible. The last 5 or 6 driver updates have been a mess for MC. I keep testing each new release but it still exists. I and others have posted on Nvidia's forums as well but but it seems we are being ignored.

Sent from my WP7 using Board Express

StumpyBloke

Post by StumpyBloke » Wed May 30, 2012 2:22 pm

I see. Is it just one flicker when the RR changes or continual? I guess this wont affect UK users as much as we are on 50Hz?
Rich

newfiend

Post by newfiend » Wed May 30, 2012 7:23 pm

It happens everytime the frame rate changes. Some stations are worse than others. HBO is one of the worst channels. I have an episode of Star Wars the clone wars saved that does it just for testing new driver updates. This started really bad on ATI cards and I guess they now have the issue under control from what I read online and now the Nvidia cards are starting to show the bug. I was hoping the new Kepler chip cards would work their way down to the GT 630 and GT 640 but instead NVIDIA decided to re badge the GT 430 and GT 440 so these cards are not getting any updates or kepler chips..sucks. I really wanted to upgrade and see if the problem went away with a newer card.. I really don't want to switch to ATI so I'll keep hoping, posting at NVIDIA and testing new driver builds until they get a clue.

Sent from my WP7 using Board Express

StumpyBloke

Post by StumpyBloke » Wed May 30, 2012 7:26 pm

Sorry am confused, how often does the frame rate change?
Rich

newfiend

Post by newfiend » Wed May 30, 2012 11:46 pm

StumpyBloke wrote:Sorry am confused, how often does the frame rate change?
This YouTube video demonstrates the 59/29 flicker bug best.. if you closely watch the screen the video flickers and you can see the frame rate change at the bottom every time it flickers using MC's 411 Info Screen..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4mD_MFTR ... e=youtu.be
It happens quite often while watching video and is VERY annoying!
There is a Workaround for the problem though as found here on WEC http://experts.windows.com/frms/windows ... 02998.aspx
The thing is.. I dont think anyone should have to go to this length to fix a Video Card that shoulld Just work! From the looks of things though Ian's workaround fixes the issue. I keep hoping Nvidia will just finally FIX IT!! UGH!
HTH,
newfiend~

twinscrewed

Post by twinscrewed » Thu May 31, 2012 10:58 am

I had some issues that led me to do a clean install. I am now getting this bug. No hardware change. All drivers loaded no codecs 301.42 was installed on last install and I did not have the issue. On my tuner shared pc with another nvidia card gtx 460 SE with 301.42 I do not get the bug. Im now starting to regret reinstalling windows over permission errors....

crawfish

Post by crawfish » Thu May 31, 2012 2:39 pm

twinscrewed wrote:I had some issues that led me to do a clean install. I am now getting this bug. No hardware change. All drivers loaded no codecs 301.42 was installed on last install and I did not have the issue. On my tuner shared pc with another nvidia card gtx 460 SE with 301.42 I do not get the bug. Im now starting to regret reinstalling windows over permission errors....
My GTX460 certainly has the new flicker bug in 301.28. Don't know about 301.42. The flicker bug and for some installations, the missing "Content type reported to the display" bug, were introduced in 295, around the beginning of February, which coincides precisely with the time Nvidia began ignoring bug reports on these new issues. The most likely way a reinstall would cause the flicker bug to surface is if you were previously using the NominalRange registry hack and didn't apply it to the new install. I really don't know how else it could happen, unless you were simply using a pre-295 driver.

That said, if you're just watching whatever is on at the time instead of playing known bad clips, there's a very decent probability that it's just coincidence that you're noticing the problem now. Believe me, you wouldn't be the first to misinterpret mere coincidence as something causal. So many people over the years have declared 29/59 fixed by a given driver only to come back later and recant, and the reason every time was bad methodology. I would be one of those people. But no more! :lol:

The good news is, you can apply NominalRange and kill the flicker (though not the stuttering, which you may still observe). The even better news is that old cards like the GTX460 are supported by 275.33, and unless you need a later driver for some game, you wouldn't be giving up anything by uninstalling 301 and installing it. In fact, you'd likely be gaining stability, as newer drivers have been subject to TDRs and causing outright system crashes. For me, 290 caused TDRs, and 301 caused a very colorful system crash, but it's all good with earlier drivers.

StumpyBloke

Post by StumpyBloke » Thu May 31, 2012 4:31 pm

newfiend wrote:
This YouTube video demonstrates the 59/29 flicker bug best.. if you closely watch the screen the video flickers and you can see the frame rate change at the bottom every time it flickers using MC's 411 Info Screen..
There is a Workaround for the problem though as found here on WEC http://experts.windows.com/frms/windows ... 02998.aspx
The thing is.. I dont think anyone should have to go to this length to fix a Video Card that shoulld Just work! From the looks of things though Ian's workaround fixes the issue. I keep hoping Nvidia will just finally FIX IT!! UGH!
HTH,
newfiend~
Got it, cheers!
Rich

STC

Post by STC » Thu May 31, 2012 5:01 pm

The ATI's deal with it well. Dynamic Contrast shouldn't be used anyway.

Plus with the GT I tired I was getting an almost soft focus. Hard to explain, but all the Nvidia settings were correct. There was no post processing going on to screw with it.
I threw in an ATI and got the quality I was looking for, again.

newfiend

Post by newfiend » Thu May 31, 2012 10:00 pm

StumpyBloke wrote:
newfiend wrote:
HTH,
newfiend~
Got it, cheers!
:D Anytime Rich! Take Care.. What are you using for TV now that you don't use MC?

newfiend

Post by newfiend » Thu May 31, 2012 10:08 pm

stonethecrows wrote:The ATI's deal with it well. Dynamic Contrast shouldn't be used anyway.

Plus with the GT I tired I was getting an almost soft focus. Hard to explain, but all the Nvidia settings were correct. There was no post processing going on to screw with it.
I threw in an ATI and got the quality I was looking for, again.
There are a couple settings I adjust in the NVIDIA control panel that get rid of the Soft Focus as you call it... If by soft focus you mean that once the drivers are installed the screen looks kind of soft as in the colors are not as sharp as they could be or it has a "washed out look" etc.. Try this: (Yes I know you have an ATI now but this may benefit someone else with a GT430)

Open the Nvidia Control Panel Click Display> Adjust Desktop Color Settings
Under #2 Select Use Nvidia Settings
Under #3 Set Digital Color Format to : YCbCr444
Set Content Type Reported to Display to : Full Screen Videos.

On the left under Video >Select : Adjust video color settings
On the right Under #2 Select : With the Nvidia Settings
Select the Advanced Tab Set Dynamic Range to : Full (0-225)

That should get you the proper color on the TV and give you a much less "washed out picture" look.
newfiend~

Edit: While writing this little post up I just noticed that there is an option to disable "dynamic contrast enhancement" under Video > Adjust Video Color settings #2 Advanced Tab. If I remember correctly this is what people with ATI cards used to turn off to get rid of the 59/29 flicker. I am going to do some testing on the HTPC and see if that option is available on the newest driver once installed and see if that fixes the flicker issue. I'll post back my results here after I do some testing tonight.

Bad News is this did not fix the Flicker, BUT I did get it FIXED! check down a few more posts!
newfiend~
Last edited by newfiend on Fri Jun 01, 2012 2:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

STC

Post by STC » Thu May 31, 2012 10:42 pm

Hey new,

Oh yes, believe me I had those settings tweaked. I'm a stickler for both the best visual and audio settings you can get. I was the one that found a way to force ATI's settings to stick in the reg about ten drivers ago. This was when they used to reset to defaults randomly.

StumpyBloke

Post by StumpyBloke » Thu May 31, 2012 11:28 pm

newfiend wrote: :D Anytime Rich! Take Care.. What are you using for TV now that you don't use MC?
Sky TV and that's pretty much it. MC is used on the odd occasion I need to record more than 2 things at once.
Rich

cjmccarthy72

Post by cjmccarthy72 » Fri Jun 01, 2012 12:17 am

newfiend wrote:There is a Workaround for the problem though as found here on WEC http://experts.windows.com/frms/windows ... 02998.aspx
HTH,
newfiend~
Sorry if I post this "elsewhere" as well, but just have some questions on this fix- I have done the debug regedit and the nv_disp.inf fix- I think/hope. My problem is the screen flashes black for a couple of seconds as it resizes itself to "wide" it tells me when I start/stop a tv show recording/blu-ray etc. I fix it by changing "Content type reported to the display" away from autoselect and applying full-screen video. But every time the tv is turned off, auto-select is reapplied. My questions are
1- Is the fix listed above meant to stop this black screen/resize?
2- am I meant to be selecting another option? A DVI option?
3- Having applied the fix- (I think), should I now choose Nvidia settings for everything or allow other devices to control this?
4- I currently have resolution at 1080p & 60hz- should I be changing this?
5- I had my d-value for my reg edit as 2 as my dynamic range was 16-255. The inf. change ends in 1- is that correct- & should I change the range to 0 - 255?

I will get round to listing my specs when I have a moment but I have lastest drivers, Sandybridge i5 and GT540 graphics and a panasonic plasma tv but with the HDMI going through my soundbar amp. Any help much appreciated as very much a novice when it comes to regedit.
I know there is one physical solution- a Geffen device but not about to spend £100 on this.