No Audio From Linksys DMA 2100 Extender

Troubleshoot and discuss the XBOX 360, XBOX One, Linksys, and other extenders.
diggityDawg

HTPC Specs: Show details

No Audio From Linksys DMA 2100 Extender

Post by diggityDawg » Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:05 pm

I've got a Linksys DMA 2100 that I've been using for a couple years on the bedroom TV. That TV was an old tube TV, standard def, so we just used RCA cables for audio and S-Video for video. I just replaced that TV with a Sony 1080p LED and am now using HDMI for audio and video. I've got two sources plugged into the TV - the extender and a popcorn hour. The popcorn hour consistently plays audio and video just fine. The extender, however, frequently starts with no audio. So, for example, I turn on the TV and go to the extender input. I start watching live TV, or recorded TV, or anything else that is available through WMC7. The video will look great, but I have no audio. If I switch to the Popcorn Hour input and play a video, I hear audio, and that will sometimes allow me to switch back and then I get audio from the extender. Lately even that hasn't been working. I've also seen it where I just leave the TV going for a while without audio, and after a couple minutes the audio suddenly kicks in. I've tried using external speakers, using headphones, changing the input for the HDMI - none of that makes any difference. It's clearly the extender that is either not sending the audio signal, or can't seem to negotiate the connection using the HDMI.

It drives me nuts, especially when I wake up in the morning and just want to catch a few minutes of the news before jumping in the shower, and the audio will not come on.

Anyways, I was hoping someone has seen this before and might be able to offer a suggestion to try? About the only thing I haven't tried is changing the HDMI cable. I suppose I'll try that tonight, but I know the one I am using is brand new, so I'm skeptical that will fix it... The wife is throwing things at me every time she tries to watch a show she recorded downstairs on the HTPC in the bedroom and there's no sound. To prevent further bodily injury, please help!

Thanks!!

Eddie

Scallica

Post by Scallica » Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:27 pm

Have you tried using RCA audio cables from the extender to the new TV for testing purposes?
HTPC Enthusiast / Forum Moderator - TGB.tv Code of Conduct

diggityDawg

Post by diggityDawg » Thu Mar 15, 2012 4:33 pm

No, haven't tried that yet. I'll try that tonight. I did try changing the HDMI cable last night and it didn't make a difference.