Hauppauge HVR-1600

Help with tuners from ATI, Hauppauge, AverMedia and more.
username

HTPC Specs: Show details

Hauppauge HVR-1600

Post by username » Sun Mar 11, 2012 8:22 pm

Hello,

I got this card years ago (Dec of 07) to record some VHS tapes to DVD, I could have gotten much cheaper card but I wanted to make my own OTA DVR...well fast forward to a January and my pc is pulling double duty as a DVR.
http://www.hauppauge.com/site/products/ ... r1600.html
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6815116010
Now I have been using this as a single tuner card but I was wondering, while I knew it could do OTA digital I just noticed it says its listed as having a second analog tuner. If I got one of those digital to analog converter boxes would I be able to record OTA on the second tuner? What would the quality of the audio/video be? There are a few times I have more than one show I want to record but I don't feel its enough to justify the purchase a second tuner card.

Thanks!

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Mon Mar 12, 2012 8:30 pm

You might be able to... the card has an IR blaster output, so it might be able to control one of those D-A converter boxes... but I don't have experience with that. On second thought, Media Center may only be able to control a cable box in this manner... it may not be able to control one of those D-A converters.

Also, most people hate the IR blaster thing.

Considering that those D-A converter boxes are $50-60, you could just buy another tuner. I know you can get the WinTV-HVR-2250 for about $100 (it has two tuners). Or... just get a WinTV-HVR-850 for about $50 (one tuner and plugs into a USB port). That's the same price as a D-A converter box.

EDIT: Also, to answer your question about the video quality if you connect a D-A converter box to the analog tuner input... the video quality will be Standard Definition. You cannot get HD this way. My suggestions above will cost you about the same amount of money, and you'll get HD quality with 5.1 audio.... and far less headaches.

EDIT2: The WinTV-HVR-2250 requires a PCIe slot in your PC. I just noticed that the 1600 is PCI, not PCIe... so if you don't have any PCIe slots in your PC, the USB one is probably the way to go.

username

Post by username » Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:54 pm

Thanks for the info! I do have PICe slots but rather watch the few shows with conflicts live or online than spend $100.

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Tue Mar 13, 2012 12:31 am

Do you have one of those D-A converter boxes laying around that you can get for free? If not, then you're going to spend about $60 anyway... might as well get the USB tuner I mentioned... or a second 1600 if you have another PCI slot in that PC. You can get a 1600 on e-bay for about $40.