WMC Setup - no EPG

Global guide related discussion. All Windows versions.
alect71

HTPC Specs: Show details

WMC Setup - no EPG

Post by alect71 » Mon Feb 26, 2024 10:40 pm

I am setting up a replacement HTPC (last one died) - I have been using WMC on Win7/8/10 for many years.

When I set up WMC, I either get stuck at WMC trying to download MS TV guides (as they don't exist), or if I disable internet always on, then it skips that step and scans channels successfully and shows live TV but no guide is created - there is not even a "Guide" option under the TV WMC menu.

So it seems the setup is not even creating a structure for EPG ? I have a local EPG provider (IceTV) which fills in the EPG but it cannot seem to do so as there is no EPG structure in WMC.

This wasn't a problem in my prior running HTPCs - not sure why unless the current WMC download version is different to the prior Win8 version?

Any help appreciated.

TIA

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Tue Feb 27, 2024 12:30 am

If you did not agree to the guide terms of service during TV Setup, then you will have to manually set some registry entries to activate the 'Guide' selection.

Code: Select all

HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Media Center\Settings\ProgramGuide
"fAgreeTOS": 1
"strAgreedTOSVersion": "1.0"
- Gary
Keeping WMC alive beyond January 2020. https://garyan2.github.io

alect71

Post by alect71 » Tue Feb 27, 2024 7:36 am

garyan2 wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 12:30 am If you did not agree to the guide terms of service during TV Setup, then you will have to manually set some registry entries to activate the 'Guide' selection.

Code: Select all

HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Media Center\Settings\ProgramGuide
"fAgreeTOS": 1
"strAgreedTOSVersion": "1.0"
You sir are a legend! Simple reg edit and now it's working fine as in all prior instances/versions.

prsa01

Post by prsa01 » Tue Feb 27, 2024 4:03 pm

Learn something new most days. I didn't realize wmc could collect inband guide info. I had thought an outside tool was required. Interesting

alect71

Post by alect71 » Thu Feb 29, 2024 6:38 am

Though the EPG is now set up, WMC keeps telling me all tuners are taken - I have 2 USB (Aver) tuners, and both are showing as installed and working normally. I can use another application to view signal via both tuners, so I am sure they're functional and operating as normal.

When i try to re-setup the TV signal in WMC, I get stuck yet again on it trying to download MS EPGs....so can never get to the tuning/scanning which shows the two tuners.

Any ideas on how I can get past that step?
Any ideas of how else in WMC to get to validate/activate and check the two tuners?
Last edited by alect71 on Thu Feb 29, 2024 11:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Thu Feb 29, 2024 4:59 pm

Just prior to starting TV Setup, change your internet always on to no.

https://garyan2.github.io/win10.html, scroll down to see how.

This setting always gets reset when starting tv setup in a new wmc instance.

Sent from my SM-G781U1 using Tapatalk

- Gary
Keeping WMC alive beyond January 2020. https://garyan2.github.io