Clean Windows 7 Install - PlayReady Not Detected

thegreat3d

HTPC Specs: Show details

Clean Windows 7 Install - PlayReady Not Detected

Post by thegreat3d » Tue Jan 09, 2024 10:25 pm

Hi,
Bringing this back up to a new thread as I tried putting this in another old thread but i don't think it is monitored much anymore. So I have searche the form first and tried all the suggestionst below. I am using an HDHOMErun prime digital cable card box. I cant find any other application that will work like WMC will so I have to use Windows 7. Anyway my HTPC in my bedroom took a dive so I got a Lenovo AMD Think Center Ultra Small Form factor that's about 7 years old and loaded Windows 7 on it. Using Windows 7 on newer devices is hard to setup and I have this working on a similar Think Center that I setup for Win7 WMC about 3 years ago and that's working fine. I don't recall having so many issues trying to get past the PlayReady update.

Here is what I have done so far
- Setup Windows Media Center. Skipped the guide because I know that doesn't work and I intend to use EPG123
- Ran Digital Cable Advisor - Passed
- Downloaded and installed PlayReadyPC_x64_v1.3.10.msi ( Made sure the AMD version was installed)
- Still no protected channels and prompted to install PlayReady. Tries connect to servers and it says "not connected to the internet"
- Repeated PlayReadyPC_x64_v1.3.10.msi install
- Made sure that Internet was set to always on in in WMC
- Also tried the DRM reset script. And repeated steps above. Still says to install PlayReady and cant connect to the internet.
- Ran Updateloopfix script. Went and downloaded a few updates. Went through a few reboots.
- Ran digital cable advisor and PlayReady manual install again. Still prompts for install of PlayReady and then cant connect to the internet.
- If I go to setup TV it asks for my windows key and it automatically finds it and gets an error that it cant validate the key as it cant connect to the internet and I wont have premium TV
- Also turned off all firewalls.

I got everything working but the protected channels working. Where am I going wrong? Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks
DDD

thegreat3d

Post by thegreat3d » Sat Jan 13, 2024 2:10 pm

Hi I also found a script that automates fixing the "updating" issue. Ran it without any errors but the same thing. I cant get past this last step to my home theater PC. Any help would be appreciated.

Kevin Chalet

Post by Kevin Chalet » Sun Jan 14, 2024 8:02 am

Hey,

CableCard is not a thing here so I won't be able to help figure out what's going on, but a TGB user recently posted a how-to for creating a Windows 7 VM able to record CableCard TV, including "protected programs": https://drive.google.com/file/d/13-R5P4 ... Q-m49/view.
Obviously you won't be interested in the VM aspects of that tutorial, but you may find useful information for the CableCard part.

If it still doesn't work, maybe you can consider approaching things differently: viewtopic.php?t=14322#p151561

schmide

Post by schmide » Sun Jan 21, 2024 2:10 pm

This friday before going to bed I was shutting down my WMC and I see an Unable To Update playready loop. It was trying to record an HBO program. I click through ignored it and went to bed.

So now playready will not update.

I went through all the steps above even reinstalled WMC.

It seems microsoft playready servers are down or blocking windows 7 machines.

Did the OP resolve it or is this the beginning of the end for protected content on the PC?

StinkyImp

Post by StinkyImp » Sun Jan 21, 2024 4:50 pm

schmide wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 2:10 pm So now playready will not update.

It seems microsoft playready servers are down or blocking windows 7 machines.
PlayReady servers are down (forever) so trying to contact them are futile. You need to manually update it.

Installer downloads are here -> https://garyan2.github.io/drm.html

robnitro

Post by robnitro » Sun Jan 21, 2024 6:23 pm

StinkyImp wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 4:50 pm PlayReady servers are down (forever) so trying to contact them are futile. You need to manually update it.

Installer downloads are here -> https://garyan2.github.io/drm.html
Thanks, I recently lost playready when I upgraded the OS drive by imaging.
Ugh
Still, running those apps and doing reset drm doesn't fix it.
If the servers are down, how will it ever activate???
Anyone activate this crap recently in a VM or test machine??