1.8.2.6 Release

An evolving, supported alternative to Rovi
Forum rules
★ Download the latest EPG123 here: https://garyan2.github.io/ <> Setup guide here: https://garyan2.github.io/install.html
garyan2

HTPC Specs: Show details

1.8.2.6 Release

Post by garyan2 » Sat Nov 18, 2023 3:39 am

Just released version 1.8.2.6. Really just some minor adjustments but does introduce code to mitigate the possibility of tuner channels being deleted when a channel is removed from a lineup.

BIG NOTE to all. The files will no longer be digitally signed. Paying for a code signing certificate wasn't cheap to begin with, but the company I used was bought out and prices increased 4X making it cost prohibitive. So far in searches, all suppliers I have found as maybe an alternative were all around the 4X figure.
- Gary
Keeping WMC alive beyond January 2020. https://garyan2.github.io

weg400

Post by weg400 » Sat Nov 18, 2023 7:58 am

I tried to install this latest update and my computer won't allow the installation. This is the first update my computer rejected. Norton removed the file before I could install it.

IT Troll

Post by IT Troll » Sat Nov 18, 2023 10:49 am

Sadly this is going to be the case with unsigned code which is not commonly downloaded/installed.
We can’t expect Gary to keep paying out if his own pocket, so it is likely that some folks will have to add manual exceptions to their anti-virus software.
Are you a Recorded TV HD user or want to give it a try? Check out the new community-made update; Recorded TV HD v2.1.1

sunnyevw

Post by sunnyevw » Sat Nov 18, 2023 4:46 pm

The unsigned code may be the reason why epg123Setup_v1.8.2.6.exe does nothing when I click on the file, but I don't see any activity in my Win11 defender status. Is there some workaround I can use to force my system to perform the installation?
Thanks for the wonderful work you are doing.

StinkyImp

Post by StinkyImp » Sat Nov 18, 2023 5:05 pm

I ran into this problem about two years ago.

The viable solutions are...
  1. Ignore antivirus notifications and whitelist Gary's executables.
  2. Everyone start making substantial donations to pay for a new certificate. :think:
[NOT RECOMMENDED] -> The undesirable solution would be to stop using Gary's programs. :thumbdown:

Space

Post by Space » Sat Nov 18, 2023 9:01 pm

I have a feeling this might be an issue for a lot of people. What needs to be done on the various, more common, anti-virus softwares to add an exception?

If it's true that Win defender is silent when you try to execute/install then most people will have no clue why it is happening or what to do.

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Sat Nov 18, 2023 9:27 pm

Still looking, but I may have found a place that is only a 50% increase. Looks like everyone jacked prices due to new guidelines and requirements from the government.

Sent from my SM-G781U1 using Tapatalk

- Gary

alhaunts

Post by alhaunts » Sat Nov 18, 2023 10:14 pm

FWIW, just installed 1.8.2.6 on my Win 7/64 bit machines running Microsoft Security Essentials. Installed fine, MSE didn't seem to care.

IT Troll

Post by IT Troll » Sun Nov 19, 2023 9:30 am

Space wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2023 9:01 pm What needs to be done on the various, more common, anti-virus softwares to add an exception?
Probably easier just to Google the instructions for the relevant vendor rather than try to repeat that information here.
It may be necessary to add two exclusions; one for the initial download and one for the installation.
Also worth noting that browsers may also block unsigned downloads. Latest Chrome did that for this release for me. However, Defender on Windows 8 with the latest definitions, didn't detect anything.

I just noticed that @holidayboy has quietly asked for donations towards the forum running costs. Perhaps a more concerted drive is required that could perhaps combine both causes?
Are you a Recorded TV HD user or want to give it a try? Check out the new community-made update; Recorded TV HD v2.1.1

sunnyevw

Post by sunnyevw » Sun Nov 19, 2023 8:40 pm

I've been trying to find all the places I can add this program to allow the installation, but I've been unsuccessful so far . . .
I'm not using any after-market protection, "trusting" Microsoft to protect me. Can we find/make a list of what needs to be done on a stock Win11 machine to allow this program to run?

Space

Post by Space » Sun Nov 19, 2023 8:50 pm

Here is a video that may help. As IT Troll indicated, you may have to add exclusions specifically for the installation .exe and also for the folder that you will be installing it in to.

I've never done this, as I don't have Win11 on my machine, so this is mostly based on info I found from Google.

sunnyevw

Post by sunnyevw » Sun Nov 19, 2023 9:43 pm

Following the video, I added the "epg123Setup_v1.8.2.6.exe" and the folder it was in to the exclusions. It made no difference, so clicking on the install just spun the wait-circle for a second and then nothing happened. The same non-response when attempted with install as administrator. To see if it was just an EPG123 problem, I tried a newly troubled update and added its setup file (SubtitleEdit-4.0.2-Setup.exe) and its folder to the exclusions and got the same results, even though the previous version (4.0.1) installs as expected. This is not just an EPG123 problem. I think the newest Win11 update (22H2) has tightened the control screws a bit too tight . . .
I went through the process of totally disabling Defender (and ignored the warnings), but still got the same results (or non-results).

Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Sun Nov 19, 2023 10:35 pm

I haven't had any problems on Win7 or Win11 22H2. One thing you might check is right-click the exe file and make sure it is not blocked because it is a download.
unblock.png
- Gary

Space

Post by Space » Sun Nov 19, 2023 11:01 pm

sunnyevw wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2023 9:43 pm Following the video, I added the "epg123Setup_v1.8.2.6.exe" and the folder it was in to the exclusions.
Not the folder the install file was in, but the folder you are installing it in to, which I believe is normally 'C:\Program Files (x86)\epg123'.

sunnyevw

Post by sunnyevw » Sun Nov 19, 2023 11:11 pm

WOW! I'd never noticed the new box on the Properties dialog. I checked the Unblock box and was then able to install the program!

You might want to make a top-level troubleshooting note about this fix for other people who don't ever read past what they expect . . .

Thanks!

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Tue Nov 21, 2023 8:42 pm

Okay, I now have a new code signing certificate and modified my scripts to work. I have a very minor update I can push that will be signed but don't know if that will fix everyone's issue with downloading and executing the installer. I may have to build a reputation again with the new certificate from a new company. I guess we'll see.

Quickly, does anyone have a simple fix or minor annoyance they would like to see or fixed? I found 2 myself when I was working on the scripts.
- Gary

IT Troll

Post by IT Troll » Tue Nov 21, 2023 11:13 pm

Great news!

One very minor annoyance. The system tray tool warns that an update is available, but this warning remains after installing the latest release until the next execution. Would be nice if the installer could clear the warning. Clutching at straws I’m afraid.

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Tue Nov 21, 2023 11:44 pm

The tray tool gets that information from the mxf file that was last imported. Really, the tray is only telling you if the program that generated the mxf file can be updated or not... it doesn't even know if itself is out of date.

The reverse is true if using the epg123_gui connecting to a remote server. It knows if itself is out of date, but not the server it is connecting to.

I will say this has bothered me a little, but there is no clear (easy) path for it all to magically work like you think it would or should.
- Gary

Space

Post by Space » Wed Nov 22, 2023 3:31 am

One small thing is getting two separate emails when there is a warning from the update.

The first email is about the warning in the update. The second email is from the client indicating that there was an warning in the update. I'm thinking that if the only warning from the client is not generated by the client itself but is instead about an error in the update that it is just propagating from the MXF, then it should suppress the email. Not a big deal, but you did say "minor annoyance".

cvanwormer

Post by cvanwormer » Wed Nov 22, 2023 2:03 pm

garyan2 wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 8:42 pm Okay, I now have a new code signing certificate and modified my scripts to work. I have a very minor update I can push that will be signed but don't know if that will fix everyone's issue with downloading and executing the installer. I may have to build a reputation again with the new certificate from a new company.

Can you share details of the effort (and cost) of the new signing certificate?
Thanks,
Carl