Change location of Seek Bar?

bobviolence

HTPC Specs: Show details

Change location of Seek Bar?

Post by bobviolence » Wed Nov 15, 2023 3:59 pm

Is it possible to change the location of the seek bar? I'm referring to the bar that pops up during playback at the bottom of the screen whenever you fast forward, rewind, pause, etc.

At it's current location, it is right over the scores of football games. So if I'm fast-forwarding through a recorded game and watching the score to see if it "gets interesting", the seek bar is always in the way. I'd like to move the seek bar up a bit.

I found this registry setting, but haven't tried it yet:

Bottom Margin - How many units should Media Center pull in critical elements from the bottom of the screen?

Registry key - HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Media Center\Settings\MCE.PerUserSettings
Registry value - marginBottom
Registry value data type - REG_DWORD

grittree

Post by grittree » Wed Nov 15, 2023 10:42 pm

IIRC, you could move the seek bar up or down, but margin wasn't involved. Can't remember if it stopped with SP1, or maybe when moved from XP-mce to win7. Yes, it's an annoyance with football.

bobviolence

Post by bobviolence » Thu Nov 16, 2023 2:47 pm

Thanks for the glimmer of hope :) ... I've searched the web pretty thoroughly, but never could find anything.

StinkyImp

Post by StinkyImp » Thu Nov 16, 2023 8:50 pm

This isn't exactly what you're looking for but when I got irked with the seek bar I set it to vanish as fast as possible.

Seek Bar Timeout - Enter the number of milliseconds to show the paused seek bar while watching TV. (1 second = 1000 milliseconds)

Code: Select all

Registry key - HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Media Center\Settings\VideoConstants
Registry value - SeekBarTimeout
I haven't used this one but the following might help too.

Seek Bar Rewind and Fast Forward Timeout - While watching TV pressing REW/FWD displays the seek bar. Enter the number of milliseconds to show the seek bar when transitioning from REW or FWD to normal playback. (1 second = 1000 milliseconds)

Code: Select all

Registry key - HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Media Center\Settings\VideoConstants
Registry value - SeekBarBriefTimeout

bobviolence

Post by bobviolence » Fri Nov 17, 2023 1:52 pm

Thanks ... I already had SeekBarTimeout set lower, which works great. I tried lowering SeekBarBriefTimeout to see if it made a difference, and didn't notice anything. The seek bar still remains visible as long as you are rewinding, fast-forwarding, etc.

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Wed Nov 22, 2023 1:04 am

I'm pretty sure this can only be done by changing resource files within Microsoft.MediaCenter.Shell.dll the same as I do with [Tweak WMC].
- Gary
Keeping WMC alive beyond January 2020. https://garyan2.github.io

bobviolence

Post by bobviolence » Tue Nov 28, 2023 3:20 pm

garyan2 wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 1:04 am I'm pretty sure this can only be done by changing resource files within Microsoft.MediaCenter.Shell.dll the same as I do with [Tweak WMC].
I'm an IT guy ... what's the level of difficulty involved in me doing this?

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Wed Nov 29, 2023 3:18 am

bobviolence wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 3:20 pm I'm an IT guy ... what's the level of difficulty involved in me doing this?
Well, I took a look and it appears the resource that needs to be edited is SEEKBAR.MCML in the ehres.dll file. The MCML is a kind of hypertext/xml hybrid "Media Center Markup Language". So you will have to study it to learn its coordinate system and where its origin point is; whether the screen boundaries, a parent container, or adjacent component within a parent.

You would have to extract the resource file(s), edit, and then merge back in to the dll file. I will note, the ehres.dll file is quite large and all the tools I used (and tried) for my editing of the resource files in the Microsoft.MediaCenter.Shell.dll file for the guide tweaks could not handle it. I could never merge any edited files back in. It also appears that the ehres.dll file is going to be locked by a svchost.exe process which you will have to terminate in order to update it... this may be where I went wrong so you may have success with that knowledge.

You might also get a leg up by reaching out to @W10MC that created ModernMedia UI+. I believe he probably tweaked the seekbar and maybe have some notes/pointers.

EDIT: Add a MCML resource. https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/previ ... v=msdn.10)
- Gary
Keeping WMC alive beyond January 2020. https://garyan2.github.io

bobviolence

Post by bobviolence » Wed Nov 29, 2023 2:01 pm

Gary ... thanks for the detailed response. This gives me a great place to start.

Think I'll create a Windows 7 VM so I can play around with WMC without the risk of damaging my main HTPC setup.

IT Troll

Post by IT Troll » Wed Nov 29, 2023 10:33 pm

Might be worth taking a look at Media Center Themer. It can change resources in memory so you don’t have to modify the system files. It can certainly change the graphics, text and transparency of the seek bar. I haven’t tried changing the position of that, but I have tweaked other UI elements.

The original website has gone now. But there is a little info here.
https://www.thegreenbutton.tv/wiki/Media_Center_Themer
Are you a Recorded TV HD user or want to give it a try? Check out the new community-made update; Recorded TV HD v2.1.1

Space

Post by Space » Thu Nov 30, 2023 1:56 am

Here is the archive link for the original webpage.