WMC Recorded Button crashes

Rickt1962

HTPC Specs: Show details

WMC Recorded Button crashes

Post by Rickt1962 » Thu Oct 26, 2023 1:58 am

I haven't needed to do anything with WMC besides the usual update guide once a year. Wanted to clean up the Recorded Schedule list and when I try to open Recorded on WMC the PC freezes and needs a Hard Reboot every time. Any thoughts on how to get WMC fully functional again ?
HTPC W7 pro with HDhomerun with 6 tuners using Comcast scanned by MCEbuddy uploaded to network to be watched by KODI

stuartm

Post by stuartm » Thu Oct 26, 2023 3:37 am

If you are in WMC when this happens, it likely means you have a corrupted recording in your recorded TV folder. Usual fix is to go into that folder (outside of WMC) and move recordings to a different place that WMC does not look at one at a time till you can go to recordings in WMC without freezing. The last one you moved is the corrupted recording.

Rickt1962

Post by Rickt1962 » Thu Oct 26, 2023 7:08 pm

The Recorded shows are only in the folder temporarily till MCEbuddy removes them to scan and move to my KODI movie folder.
I am trying to open up to see the DVR schedule to delete many shows that are no longer available. And change priorities in recording
HTPC W7 pro with HDhomerun with 6 tuners using Comcast scanned by MCEbuddy uploaded to network to be watched by KODI

Space

Post by Space » Fri Oct 27, 2023 12:51 am

Can you be more specific what you do to get it to freeze? What do you mean by "open Recorded on WMC"?

Rickt1962

Post by Rickt1962 » Sun Oct 29, 2023 7:31 pm

I thought I said it clearly on my PC on the window screen under WMC when it's open click on the button recorded TV you know the one that shows you all the recorded shows and you can go in and adjust the shows

Space

Post by Space » Sun Oct 29, 2023 10:43 pm

So is your "Recorded TV" folder empty, or do you have *.WTV video files in there? If you have files in there, try moving ALL of them out manually to a temporary folder and see if you still have the problem with WMC.

If you no longer have the problem, then the most likely reason is one of the *.WTV files is corrupted. You can put the files back in the recording folder one by one, and see after each one if it causes the freeze.
If there are a lot of files, you can just put back half of them and if no freeze, remove them and put in half of the other half, etc. You can keep doing this until you narrow it down to the file or files that are causing the issue.

If you still have the problem even after the folder is empty, you can try changing the location of the "Recorded TV" folder to another drive within WMC "Settings". Then see if you still have the freeze. If not, you can change the setting back to the original recording drive and see if the problem returns or has gone away.

Rickt1962

Post by Rickt1962 » Mon Oct 30, 2023 6:57 pm

The Folder is empty. WMC opens fine playing LIVE TV or using the Guide to see what's on. I probably have over 100 TV shows old and new set to record and its recording the ones that show up on the guide. And MCEbuddy has no trouble seeing the folder and scanning and removing the commercials. Some shows I no longer watch and some have been taken off the air is the trouble I have with WMC. I used to be able to Click on the Recorded Button go into Settings rearrange priorities of recordings and delete old ones no longer on the Air. The BACKDOOR way is remembering that show is on this week go to the guide see the red dot click on options of that show and turn off recordings from there. Now thats the HARDWAY around to manage my DVR :(

Space

Post by Space » Tue Oct 31, 2023 4:58 am

I've never seen this problem before, but it could be caused by some sort of corruption of one or more of the WMC files, I suppose.

You can try running:

sfc /scannow

From a cmd.exe window to see if it can find and fix any corrupted files. Note that if you've made any changed using a Tweak app for WMC (such as the one that comes with EPG123) this tool will see that as a problem and restore the original non-tweaked version, so make sure you record/remember any tweaks so you can re-do them afterwards.

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Wed Nov 01, 2023 2:01 am

May not apply, but you could remove any additional Recorded TV locations in your media libraries. settings/Media Libraries, select 'Recorded TV' and 'Remove folders from the library'. I wonder if you have a location that is causing WMC to barf.
- Gary
Keeping WMC alive beyond January 2020. https://garyan2.github.io

stuartm

Post by stuartm » Wed Nov 01, 2023 7:24 am

Also, there is a (possibly hidden) directory in RecordedTV called TempRec which holds the buffers that are the parts of recordings in progress and the live TV buffer files. You may want to try removing all files from that directory (while no recordings or live TV viewing is in progress) in case a corrupted file in there is causing the problem.