HDHomeRun versus WMC on Win7/Win10

Help with tuners from ATI, Hauppauge, AverMedia and more.
00derek

HTPC Specs: Show details

HDHomeRun versus WMC on Win7/Win10

Post by 00derek » Wed Aug 23, 2023 12:37 am

I've been using WMC on a Win7 desktop for at least 10 years, still going strong recording OTA with the EPG program guide and Schedules Direct subscription.

On the same PC, we watch BBC iPlayer and run the iplayer downloads app.

It's taken a long time, but the BBC finally ended support for the download app on Win7, now needs Win10 or higher.

So now I need to do something - according to MRS.

1. Upgrade (or replace) the PC to Win10 (for iPlayer) and
2. then re-jig WMC to work on Win10 or,
3. Jump to a SiliconDust product for OTA - HDHomeRun Flex Duo + DVR subscription + separate USB drive for recordings.

So what's easier to set up? And what's more stable? WMC on Win10 or record OTA on HDHomeRun?

I want easy and stable, and I don't mind spending a few hundred $

cheers

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Wed Aug 23, 2023 4:15 am

Both have pros/cons. I have WMC working easily on Win11 for OTA and still a solid DVR.

HDHomerun is not as feature rich as WMC but with it you basically have unlimited extenders on all kinds of devices. I think the only bad thing I can say about using the HDHR DVR is that if you lose internet connection you won't be able to watch/record anything.
- Gary
Keeping WMC alive beyond January 2020. https://garyan2.github.io

00derek

Post by 00derek » Wed Aug 23, 2023 12:54 pm

Well, I'm using your EPG solution for WMC/Win7 - I wouldn't say it was easy to set up for a novice, but I'm a "button-presser" so I persevered and it's now working very well. So I will probably give your W11 solution a go. Thanks!