Quickest way to set up multiple favorite channel lineups?

Global guide related discussion. All Windows versions.
CZ Eddie

HTPC Specs: Show details

Quickest way to set up multiple favorite channel lineups?

Post by CZ Eddie » Sun Aug 13, 2023 12:52 am

I'm wanting to set up some favorite channel lineups.
Like - sports, news, TV shows, Movies, etc.

The built-in WMC favorites edit makes me manually select channels to add.
I wish it had a "select all" option and then I could just disable the channels I don't want.

And the Edit Channels only shows a short portion of each channel name.
Which makes it tough to know if I want a channel or not.

Am using EPG123 but don't see an option for this in it.

I'd like to have about ten different channel category lineups.

Space

Post by Space » Sun Aug 13, 2023 5:23 am

You can probably manually edit an MXF/XML file and import it in to WMC to edit the favorites, but I'm not sure how difficult that would be. Someone could probably make an external editor for this that would not be as error-prone as editing an MXF/XML file.

As for using the WMC GUI to edit the favorites and the channel names being "cut off"... this is a known bug in WMC but fortunately has a fix...

Go in to the EPG123 client GUI and right click on "channel 1" and select "Rename" from the menu. Then change the "Call sign" to something long (I used a very long sequence of underscore characters). That's it, the bug should be fixed.

The reason this works is because WMC takes the width of the very first row, and uses that as the width in the Favorites selection. If your first row (channel 1 in my case) is blank, then it doesn't show any channel name at all, since the width is 0.

Note that if the first channel on your system is not "1" for some reason (you deleted channels) then you can use whatever is the first channel. Note that this channel does not have to be one that is "enabled". It can be (and it is preferred) that it be a channel that you have disabled.

CZ Eddie

Post by CZ Eddie » Sun Aug 13, 2023 5:49 pm

That worked, thanks Space!!!