Station Logos Missing

An evolving, supported alternative to Rovi
Forum rules
★ Download the latest EPG123 here: https://garyan2.github.io/ <> Setup guide here: https://garyan2.github.io/install.html
circusdog

HTPC Specs: Show details

Station Logos Missing

Post by circusdog » Thu Jun 29, 2023 7:36 pm

Today one of my 3 MediaCenter PCs no longer displays the channel logos on the guide. I upgraded the client to 1.8.0.6 from 1.7.3.0 but that did not fix things.

I had upgraded the Server to 1.8.0.6 on 6/25/2023.

circusdog

Post by circusdog » Thu Jun 29, 2023 7:47 pm

Actually there was one channel that did display a logo. WMDOLD showed "Unimas" in red letters. All other stations were blank.

I tried copying the entire logos directory from the Server PC and now it displays the station names instead of logos.

If it matters, this happens to be a 32-bit W7 PC. The other 2 are 64-bit W7.

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Fri Jun 30, 2023 12:08 am

Is your server on and accessible on the network? All non-custom station logos are served over the network via HTTP from the server to the client. Custom logos are still embedded in the MXF file. If WMC can't contact the server then the logos will not be shown.
- Gary
Keeping WMC alive beyond January 2020. https://garyan2.github.io

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Fri Jun 30, 2023 6:01 pm

I don't know if this is the root of your logo issue, but if your server component was running as a portable installation (without the proxy/cache service) then the logos wouldn't be available to you. I just released 1.8.0.7 that will embed the logos in the MXF file for portable installations which will restore that. Of course, using the portable method means you will not have any program images.
- Gary

circusdog

Post by circusdog » Sat Jul 01, 2023 10:31 pm

garyan2 wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 12:08 am Is your server on and accessible on the network? All non-custom station logos are served over the network via HTTP from the server to the client. Custom logos are still embedded in the MXF file. If WMC can't contact the server then the logos will not be shown.
I didn't know that. I thought all of the logos were in the mxf file.

The EPG server service runs on my main MC PC in the living room, but it is asleep when we're not watching it. So, the PC in question that is in my basement den, and it is sort of the same story, only on if we're watching it.

My 3 MC PCs share the epg123.mxf on a shared drive on my Windows Server. The EPG Server runs an update each day at 1 am and then copies the mxf file to the shared drive. All 3 PCs run the client task after that, at different times of the day.

circusdog

Post by circusdog » Sat Jul 01, 2023 10:43 pm

garyan2 wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 6:01 pm I don't know if this is the root of your logo issue, but if your server component was running as a portable installation (without the proxy/cache service) then the logos wouldn't be available to you. I just released 1.8.0.7 that will embed the logos in the MXF file for portable installations which will restore that. Of course, using the portable method means you will not have any program images.
Wow. I would much rather have the program images than the logos. But I have always had issues with the movie guide showing images on the clients. I had assumed all along everything was in the mxf file.

I am writing this on one of the client only PCs, and I just turned on the server/client PC and all the logos *and* the program images showed up!

I guess I'll have to figure out how to get my Windows Server to be the EPG server. That was my initial setup, but somewhere along the line I had to give up on that.

Is there anything special I have to do on Windows 2003 Server to get this to work right?

circusdog

Post by circusdog » Sat Jul 01, 2023 11:16 pm

circusdog wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2023 10:43 pm I guess I'll have to figure out how to get my Windows Server to be the EPG server. That was my initial setup, but somewhere along the line I had to give up on that.

Is there anything special I have to do on Windows 2003 Server to get this to work right?
So I don't have the right level of dot net on the server, and I have issues upgrading the version. :(

Maybe I can figure out a way to wake the epg123 server when the basement PC is in use.

Space

Post by Space » Sat Jul 01, 2023 11:23 pm

Not sure about the .net issues, but just some info on why a proxy is needed when it wasn't before...

I believe the logos used to be in the MXF file, but that was recently changed (but there is a setting that still allows it).

The program images have never been in the MXF file, that would make the file huge. It has always just included the URL to the image, not the image itself.

What has changed more recently, is that in order for WMC to download the images (on-demand) from SchedulesDirect, it needs to provide the token for your account (SD used to not require any authentication to download images, and it was being abused) and WMC knows nothing about the tokens, so it must forward the request through the proxy server so the proxy itself can request/renew (if needed) the token and then add the token to the request for the image.

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Sun Jul 02, 2023 12:02 am

I actually have mine running on a WHS2011 which is based on Windows 2003 Server. Nothing special to do other than meet the .NET Framework requirements. The installer should take care of firewall rules and opening the port used for TCP and UDP.
- Gary

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Sun Jul 02, 2023 5:36 am

I'm just going to throw a few things out there for your configuration. Since Windows 2003 Server is based on the same core as Win7, you will probably need to apply an update that adds TLS/SSL 1.2 support. We have found that .NET installs/updates won't work unless that is already installed.

For your configuration, once you get it up, this is how I am setup.

WHS2011:
Install EPG123. It will default to installing the server proxy/cache service to include EPG123, HDHR2MXF, PlutoTV, and Stirr. You can unselect whichever components you don't need.
Once installed and the service started (automatically), you can configure EPG123 locally on the server or from any of the clients. Or simply copy over the epg123.cfg file.
You may or may not want to create a scheduled task on the server to update the mxf file regularly. When a client requests the mxf, if it has been more than 3 hours since the last file was created, it will download and create a new one to provide the client. The client will have to wait for that download to complete before it gets the file.

CLIENT(s):
Just create a task to get the mxf file from http://<serverIP>:9009/output/epg123.mxf.
Your choice, but I schedule all my clients around the same time. The first is at 0720 and the rest at 0730. The first will certainly kick off an update and will have to wait. The rest will download the mxf file immediately.

EDIT: Memory is going. WHS2011 is based off Windows Server 2008 R2 and the update needed is for SHA2 (KB4474419). Not sure what kind of issues there are for 2003 to support .NET 4.6.2. Will have to research.
- Gary

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Sun Jul 02, 2023 5:47 am

Sorry, .NET Framework 4.6.2 is not compatible with Windows Server 2003.
- Gary

circusdog

Post by circusdog » Sun Jul 02, 2023 2:49 pm

garyan2 wrote: Sun Jul 02, 2023 5:47 am Sorry, .NET Framework 4.6.2 is not compatible with Windows Server 2003.
Oh, well. I have been having other issues with the server lately anyway, and there are no longer any browsers that support it.

circusdog

Post by circusdog » Sun Jul 02, 2023 2:53 pm

I set up the WOL stuff. It sort-of works, but when the epg server wakes, it doesn't idle back to sleep on its own when the clients shut off, and if I turn the server "off" (sleep) from the remote, it turns back on (wakes) a few minutes later.

Sleep issues drive me nuts. :(

circusdog

Post by circusdog » Sun Jul 02, 2023 3:01 pm

I am running WRCSSettings.exe on the Windows Server. It monitors the clients for activity and wakes the epg server. It seems to not recognize when somebody turns off, and just keeps sending WOL. I usually end up shutting down the service when I'm done. Of course, that is not wife-friendly operation.

Ideally, I would like some kind of script or batch file that would run when a client is turned on that would send the WOL command. Once the server is awake and in use, it stays on ok without further assistance (I think).

circusdog

Post by circusdog » Sun Jul 02, 2023 3:04 pm

Thank you so much for your help!