Trouble with TBS 6981 Dual Tuner

Help with tuners from ATI, Hauppauge, AverMedia and more.
milli260876

HTPC Specs: Show details

Trouble with TBS 6981 Dual Tuner

Post by milli260876 » Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:09 am

I have had a TBS 6981 dual tuner for a while, bought the dvb-t2 card and ended up sending that back with tearing issues on HD.
Anyway this was the start of A painful journey, I have had a nightmare since and formatting doesn't fix my issues ...
Anyway before I ramble on any more I built a new pc cheap and cheerful as a test bed for w8 and for hardware evaluation.
Got the the 6981 in there one cable plugged in and still getting 2 channels on different transponders ???? WTF ???
I have absolutely no idea how this is possible, perhaps someone could enlighten me?????
Last edited by Scallica on Thu Feb 09, 2012 2:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lee

holidayboy

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by holidayboy » Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:57 pm

I've forgotten most of what I learned about DVB-S stuff but my <amateur> first guess would be that the channels are in the same "band" (high/low) and are using the same polarisation (h/v).

Similar to the way that "quatro LNB + switch" systems can dish out signals to multiple tuners in blocks of flats etc by setting each element of the LNB to one of the four possible settings.

Maybe the 6981 has some sort of tricky splitter/combiner/amplifier circuitry similar to old Pinnacle DVB-T cards that's letting the signal through to the second tuner?

Just another one of my throw away random rambling thoughts......

EDIT:

Or maybe you live at a really high altitude and don't even need to connect a dish to receive the signal :crazy:
Rob.

TGB.tv - the one stop shop for the more discerning Media Center user.