Fresh Build WMC Win 7

williaml99

HTPC Specs: Show details

Fresh Build WMC Win 7

Post by williaml99 » Sun Sep 11, 2022 11:43 pm

Greeting
I put a fresh install of win 7 on a 2016 MB (much faster than current working WMC) did what I understood to be the final updates. Had all the drivers so device manager looked good. Activated Windows. All UEFI stuff turned off. Currently using old intel nuc with two primes and a OTA tuner. Still working but PC lags and some WMC crashes. All Homerun. Thought I would use my old gaming PC parts to make a backup system as I am 71 and don't want to go TIVO or rent a DVR. Anything not protected gets recorded with HD Homerun. I just record MLB games and delete as soon as I watch it. So nothing to Save. Been a computer pro just over 20 years and still working. So not new in any way. :) Hoping you all know this one. This is a common issue it would seem as I have read many posts about this. Wondering if different or impossible since win 7 expired. Got to play ready install and it failed. Read the posts, in this case no PlayReady folder was even created. I continue to search on line. FYI a few years back I tried to put win 8 WMC on my NUC and could never activate. I had purchased a licence and not just the upgrade kind. Was told from these posts that the MS servers that activate are gone? Thats why I just thought with win 7 did not have to fight that fight. It worked for my NUC but that was before 2020. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks
Bill

williaml99

Post by williaml99 » Mon Sep 12, 2022 3:14 am

Downloaded playready and digital cable advisor from EPG123. Everything is working except activation for digital cable. Says check internet.Tells me about activating digital cable ou windows. Windows was activated. I did it again like that would help. No joy on activating cable. I have the feeling this is a fight I had before. IOf it was I don't remember how I won. I will start searching for this. If you know the trick please share it.

williaml99

Post by williaml99 » Mon Sep 12, 2022 4:16 am

https://forum.silicondust.com/forum/vie ... ion#p53985

I think this article fixed it for me.