Channel Mappings

An evolving, supported alternative to Rovi
Forum rules
★ Download the latest EPG123 here: https://garyan2.github.io/ <> Setup guide here: https://garyan2.github.io/install.html
The Mac

HTPC Specs: Show details

Channel Mappings

Post by The Mac » Thu Sep 08, 2022 1:47 am

I may have asked this before, i dont remember.

Is there anyway to backup/restore the custom channel mappings?

i usually remap all the SD channels with their HD equivalents because they are all in the first 100 channels of the guide. The HD channels are all up in the 800s.

Occasionally i fiddle with something and have to do a system restore and it blows al the mappings away and resets them back to the defaults.

It takes hours to remap them again.

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Thu Sep 08, 2022 3:33 am

I'm thinking the [Backup] and [Restore] buttons in the client.
- Gary
Keeping WMC alive beyond January 2020. https://garyan2.github.io

The Mac

Post by The Mac » Thu Sep 15, 2022 3:27 pm

i will give that a shot next time something happens.

Thanks.

Any way to schedule periodic backups so i have a current one available when everything blows up?

Space

Post by Space » Fri Sep 16, 2022 11:53 am

Backups should be done every 5 days if you don't have a really old version of EPG123 (note that you should install the latest version due to a recent change to how program image links are retrieved)

The Mac

Post by The Mac » Fri Sep 16, 2022 1:24 pm

can that be increased?

Space

Post by Space » Sat Sep 17, 2022 1:32 am

EPG123 does backups and garbage cleanup of the database every 5 days, but you can set up your own task separate from EPG123 to do these things (one or both of them).

You can read a bit more about the backups here.

The command to do the backup and the garbage cleanup is "mcupdate.exe -b -nogc". Note that garbage cleanup can take a long time to run, so if you just want to make backups (which I believe is fairly quick) more often, then I think you can just run "mcupdate.exe -b", but I'm not sure if that is enough to just do the backups (but that is easy enough to test by running it in a CMD window and seeing if new backups are made, see this post for where to look for the backups). Also note that mcupdate.exe is a standard WMC command, and is not related to EPG123 other than that it is used by EPG123 to save the backups and do the garbage cleanup (and to load the guide data from the MXF file that EPG123 creates).

You can create a new entry in Task Scheduler that executes this command if you want it to run more often then the 5 day period that EPG123 does it. There are command line options that can be added to the EPG123 client daily execution (in Task Scheduler) that will disable the garbage cleanup (-nogc) so that you can do them yourself (I'm not sure if this also disables the backups, but I would assume so), but if you are just doing an extra backup, it probably is OK to leave the backup/garbage cleanup in EPG123 alone.