SD or WMC or EPG123 (Morning Joe and the extra hour added)

Randyored

HTPC Specs: Show details

SD or WMC or EPG123 (Morning Joe and the extra hour added)

Post by Randyored » Tue Apr 26, 2022 2:00 pm

So, after the kill update, I had to wipe and reinstall win7 and setup from scratch. Took a day, but I got it running.

Then a few weeks later, Morning expanded to 4 hours. BUT, they added it by creating a new 1 hr time slot. They didn't expand the original 3 hr slot, they added another 1 hr slot!

No issues... right? Well yes it is. It requires a separate recording be setup. When I setup the 1 hr slot to record. This caused major issues that both slots have the same meta data. So, when the 3 hr slot stops recording as scheduled, the 1 hr slot never starts or stops after the 1 min extra setup required. And, I also setup only save 1 recording. That freezes up and reboots WMC (not the PC). When it starts back up both slots for Morning Joe, show an infinite set of yellow triangles. The record red ball is gone. It also says something like you have exceeded the number of recording with an infinite set of yellow triangles.

Thoughts?

RandyO

Space

Post by Space » Tue Apr 26, 2022 3:55 pm

I'm not completely clear on your issue, but it appears that both back-to-back episodes have the same series identifier, meaning you should not have to set up a separate Series for each one, only one Series should record both. You may have to change it to "keep 2 episodes" instead of one though.

What is the message associated with the yellow triangles? Those triangles show up for multiple different reasons, you need to select the episode and look at the bottom of the details page to know what each one means. I also don't know what is meant by "after the 1 min extra setup required".

I set up my own Series for this show and it appears to work fine, the single Series record both back-to-back episodes every morning, no yellow triangles.

Note that it IS possible to set up two separate Series for each timeslot if you want by changing the "Airtime" parameter. However this may cause problems if they ever change the start time slightly for either of the two episodes (if the start time changes by more than 15 minutes in either direction, it will not record).

You can also tell it to just record the 6am episode and add 1 hour padding so that it records all 4 hours. To do this:

Set up the Series as normal, but change the "Airtime" parameter to "Around 6:00 AM". This should only set to record the first episode each morning. If you have trouble doing this, instead of setting up the Series as normal, select one of the episodes and select "Advanced Record" instead. Then change the parameters there. "Frequency" needs to be changed to "Record Series", "Airtime" to "Around 6:00 AM", "Stop" to "1 hour after" and any other parameter you want to change.

Note that if you want two separate Series for this same series, it is possible, but WMC is buggy with this in that if you select the 9am episode and edit the Series it may edit the wrong Series or if you tell it to Delete, it will delete both Series, so I don't know how reliable having two Series for the same series is. But if you want to try it, you need to change the first Series to "Around 6:00 AM" and then select one of the 9am episodes and use the "Advanced Record" option and change it to a second Series as described in the previous paragraph (selecting "Around 9:00 AM" instead for this second Series).

The huge caveat here is if you use the "Around XXX" setting for a series, it will NOT record the episode if the timeslot changes by more than 15 minutes. So if the 6am episode changes one day to start at 5:45am or 6:15am instead, it will still record, but if it changes to 5:30am or 6:30am, it will not.

Randyored

Post by Randyored » Wed Apr 27, 2022 7:58 am

I have no idea where the Advanced Record is. It has never appeared to me in all these years using WMC.

I am waiting to see if a different setup works. See below...

Step 1 : My settings I use is to remove all Morning Joe recording settings and start over.

Step 2 : I then setup the Morning Joe 6:00 AM series. (New, CH MSNBC only, Around 6:00 AM,Until I watch, 1 recording, 1 hour after).

Step 3 : Step 2 will generate changes in the 9:00 AM version. Just select (do not record). This will leave the 6:00 AM (with extra hour).

I will let you know how it works.

RandyO

StinkyImp

Post by StinkyImp » Wed Apr 27, 2022 5:16 pm

Randyored wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 7:58 amI have no idea where the Advanced Record is. It has never appeared to me in all these years using WMC.
Hi Randy!

Go to...
  • Recorded TV
  • View Scheduled
  • Series
  • Select the series you want to work with
  • Series Settings
  • Go to the bottom and adjust the "Stop" time
That setting will allow you to extend the recording by up to three hours past the program's scheduled end time.

Space

Post by Space » Thu Apr 28, 2022 12:06 am

Yes, but that does not explain what "Advanced Record" is. It is a "trick" you can use to create TWO (or more) Series for the exact same series. Each Series needs to be set to a different "Airtime", and they will both show up in the Series list, with those Airtimes displayed.

I've only ever used it once in the entire time I've been using WMC. I think it was because I only wanted to record two back-to-back episodes of a show that were not first-run (they were repeats) that aired at 7pm and 7:30pm, but did NOT want to record episodes of that same series that aired at different times of the day on the same channel (since those episodes were from a different season that I had already watched at some point).

When you set up a Series for a series with the "Airtime" set to, say, "Around 7:00 PM", and then you select the episode that airs at 7:30pm, you will see that you cannot "Create Series" for it because you already have a Series for that series. So instead of that, you need to select the "Advanced Record" option and then set the "Frequency" to "Record Series", then change the "Airtime" to "Around 7:30 PM".

After doing that you have two SEPARATE Series for the same series, one that only records the episodes that air at 7pm and the other that only records the episodes that air at 7:30pm.

Since these two episodes aired back-to-back, I could have just set up the first "Around 7:00 PM" Series and then added 30 minutes padding to get both episodes, but I wanted the metadata for both episodes to be accurate, rather than having an hour-long recording with metadata for the first episode and nothing about the second episode.

You can find the "Advanced Record" option by selecting an episode of any series and then using the right arrow to go to the "Actions" screen. "Advanced Record" should be one of the options available to select on this screen.