How do I change a VHF station to UHF?

An evolving, supported alternative to Rovi
Forum rules
★ Download the latest EPG123 here: https://garyan2.github.io/ <> Setup guide here: https://garyan2.github.io/install.html
Michael3442

HTPC Specs: Show details

How do I change a VHF station to UHF?

Post by Michael3442 » Thu Oct 21, 2021 4:16 pm

I've been using WMC with EPG123 and a HDHomeRun tuner for a couple of years without a glitch. Now, a local station has changed from VHF to UHF and I need assistance so I don't muck up the whole works. I opened the HDHomeRun Setup program and it showed the original (VHF) channel with a Tuner # of CH11-3, a Guide # of 11.1, and a Guide name of KARE11, all correct. I then did a new scan and the HD tuner now shows the new (UHF) channel with a Tune # of 31.3, a Guide # of 11.1, and a Guide Name of KARE-HD. OK so far. Next I opened the EPG123 Client Guide Tool and saw that I needed to call for help. I suspect I don't have to start from scratch but don't want to proceed without some more experienced guidance. So, how do I change my old VHF station to its new UHF designation? Many thanks in advance.

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Thu Oct 21, 2021 5:30 pm

You can't change channel frequencies, you will need to add/scan the new channels in. You can do that manually in the client or in WMC setup->TV->TV Setup->Scan for more channels.... something like that. Once the channels are added, you can use the client Match by: [# Number] to map the guide listings to the new channels.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

- Gary
Keeping WMC alive beyond January 2020. https://garyan2.github.io

mtreehugger

Post by mtreehugger » Sun Nov 07, 2021 4:37 pm

Hi,

I too am having what might be the same problem with Kare-11. I have learned that they switched from VHF to UHF. I have re-scanned several times, messed with my antenna, tried a different antenna with an amplifier, and am going crazy because I can't fix this. So in my case, WMC displays the new UHF signal just fine, and I can watch live broadcasts without issue, but as soon as the recorder tries to record Kare-11, WMC says there is no signal and terminates the video and the recording attempt. Yet every time this happens I am always able to restart WMC and view that channel just fine.
Does anybody have any ideas here? Thanks in advance!!!

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Sun Nov 07, 2021 7:50 pm

I think WMC may be trying to record on the old channel. If you open the client, does the old VHF channel still exist on the left side? If so, delete them and see if that makes a difference.
- Gary
Keeping WMC alive beyond January 2020. https://garyan2.github.io

stuartm

Post by stuartm » Sun Nov 07, 2021 10:10 pm

You can check the sources listed by WMC for the channel. You may have both the VHF and UHF sources listed (right click the channel edit channel-> edit sources). Unchecking the VHF sources should prevent WMC from trying to record on the VHF frequency.

Space

Post by Space » Sun Nov 07, 2021 11:02 pm

As stuartm mentioned, if that channel has sources that include both the VHF and UHF channels, this could cause this issue. WMC picks which source it uses differently for recordings vs. live TV. It starts at the beginning of the list with one, and the end with the other. Make sure the source list for this channel only has the UHF sources checked, and leave any VHF source unchecked.

mtreehugger

Post by mtreehugger » Thu Nov 11, 2021 3:27 am

Guys, thanks for the help! Unfortunately, I don't know where to look for sources, and don't see any left or right side of anything. I'm running Win7. In WMC I do "TV Setup" and it's really really slow. It takes several minutes to tell me I have a digital antenna. In "TV Signal" I see 3 options: "Scan for more channels," "Digital TV Antenna Signal Strength," and "Set Up TV Signal (which leads to TV Setup)." "Scan for More Channels" isn't the ticket either. That leaves me with "Digital TV Antenna Signal Strength," but there are no vhf/uhf options that I can find. Really hope somebody can tell me where to look!!! Thanks!!!

stuartm

Post by stuartm » Thu Nov 11, 2021 3:39 am

Bring up the guide and right click on the problematic station call sign/logo/channel box at the left side of the guide.

mtreehugger

Post by mtreehugger » Fri Nov 12, 2021 1:44 am

Thanks Stuartm! So I found edit channel > edit sources. I did not see vhf/uhf. What I found instead were 2 digital channels that were "merged" for channel 11.1. I unchecked the box and one of them disappeared from that page. Now when I look at the guide, I have two 11.1 channels!!! Also, in the channel 11.1 "listings" there are actually 3 channels listed, 62.1, 62.3, and 14.2. This is new to me--seems that digital tuners are taking signals from whatever frequencies and mapping them elsewhere in accordance to the preferences of the broadcaster, and that I can change that up in WMC (who'd want to do that, though?). It seems my 14.2 in my guide is actually mapped from 14.4. What a can of worms this is!!! Anyway, the good news is that I'm now recording successfully on the first 11.1 shown in my guide (if that makes any sense...). Don't know if that's 62.1, 62.3, or 14.2, but it's working.

BTW, I do NOT have an epg or guide service or whatever it's correctly called.

THANKS!!!