After update EPG123 Client fails to start

An evolving, supported alternative to Rovi
Forum rules
★ Download the latest EPG123 here: https://garyan2.github.io/ <> Setup guide here: https://garyan2.github.io/install.html
dlpalumbo

HTPC Specs: Show details

After update EPG123 Client fails to start

Post by dlpalumbo » Thu Sep 02, 2021 4:17 pm

I have two Win 8.1 systems that I have been running with WMC and HDHomeRun Prime. I just added an SD Flex 4k so I could hook up a tuner. The install went without a hitch on one system. On the other I wasn't so lucky. This system was at EPG version 1.2.5. I downloaded and installed most recent version (1.6.7). It got to a point it need to load the MS distribution packs.

It loaded 3 packs then said it needed to restart. I restarted, but when I came back the install did not pick up where it left off and the EPG client wouldn't run.

I tried uninstalling and going back to 1.2.5. This worked but schedule wouldn't update. I got 1.5.1 setup from other machine and loaded it but the lineups weren't right. The antenna tuner was there but no channels were selected and none were merged into RHS. I tried client setup, went through whole thing, but no tuner channels are showing up in wmc.

I tried uninstalling EPG123 and the distribution packs, rebooted and reinstalling 1.6.7, but it didn't reinstall the distributions.

So I think there's something crossed up with regard to distribution packs.

I am lost.

Edit 2: Client runs at user priv level but fails as admin with error below. Go figure. Left side has lineup for both tuners but right side only cable card lineup and Dummy. The good system has lineup service for local channels at my zip code. How does EPG123 get zip code? Could my failing system not have that info? Also client fails to read status of schedule update due to 'Access Denied'. Maybe I need to remake the batch job.....

Edit 3: Turns out I had Locations settings turned off on this machine. Now schedule update fails with this error:

[ INFO] Could not write/verify the registry settings to activate the guide in WMC. Requested registry access is not allowed.
at System.ThrowHelper.ThrowSecurityException(ExceptionResource resource)
at Microsoft.Win32.RegistryKey.OpenSubKey(String name, Boolean writable)
at epg123Client.WmcRegistries.ActivateGuide()
[9/2/2021 2:27:28 PM] [ERROR] Failed to locate any lineups from EPG123.

EDIT 1: Here's info from log relating to failure to start at admin priv
[ERROR] Unhandled thread exception caught from epg123Client.exe. message: Configuration system failed to initialize
at System.Configuration.ClientConfigurationSystem.OnConfigRemoved(Object sender, InternalConfigEventArgs e)
at System.Configuration.Internal.InternalConfigRoot.OnConfigRemoved(InternalConfigEventArgs e)
at System.Configuration.Internal.InternalConfigRoot.RemoveConfigImpl(String configPath, BaseConfigurationRecord configRecord)
at System.Configuration.BaseConfigurationRecord.GetSectionRecursive(String configKey, Boolean getLkg, Boolean checkPermission, Boolean getRuntimeObject, Boolean requestIsHere, Object& result, Object& resultRuntimeObject)
at System.Configuration.BaseConfigurationRecord.GetSection(String configKey)
at System.Configuration.ConfigurationManager.GetSection(String sectionName)
at System.Configuration.ClientSettingsStore.ReadSettings(String sectionName, Boolean isUserScoped)
at System.Configuration.LocalFileSettingsProvider.GetPropertyValues(SettingsContext context, SettingsPropertyCollection properties)
at System.Configuration.SettingsBase.GetPropertiesFromProvider(SettingsProvider provider)
at System.Configuration.SettingsBase.GetPropertyValueByName(String propertyName)
at System.Configuration.SettingsBase.get_Item(String propertyName)
at System.Configuration.ApplicationSettingsBase.GetPropertyValue(String propertyName)
at System.Configuration.ApplicationSettingsBase.get_Item(String propertyName)
at epg123Client.Properties.Settings.get_UpgradeRequired()
at epg123Client.clientForm.clientForm_Load(Object sender, EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Form.OnLoad(EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Form.OnCreateControl()
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.CreateControl(Boolean fIgnoreVisible)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.CreateControl()
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmShowWindow(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Form.WmShowWindow(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

Dan

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Fri Sep 03, 2021 2:13 am

Not much of what you have here makes sense.

EPG123 does not install distribution packages. That would have been from the SiliconDust drivers for your 4K Flex. EPG123 will only verify you have at least .NET 4.0 and will start an installer for it if you don't.

I don't know what is going on with running epg123 with elevated priveleges. It is failing to write to the registry and failing to create/update a user configuration file which tracks your GUI size and location so that when you open it again it won't default to the original size. You have something going on with that user that prevents it... an OS problem or you have applied some security settings to prevent epg123 from doing what it needs to do.

The location services doesn't matter. EPG123 will get your zipcode from the registry based on what you entered when you performed a TV Setup in WMC. No magic hoodoo there.

The channels on the right side are what is imported into WMC. If you did not import the OTA channels, then they won't be there. The configuration GUI is where you set that up. Make sure the lineup is INCLUDED (green bubble beside the lineup selection) and the stations you want to download are selected.

The scheduled task 'Access Denied' was from an old method of creating the task, but I only ever saw it on Win10. Again, probably a security setting you have on the user account that is preventing you from reading the status. You can probably just delete the task (if you can get into an elevated role) and create a new one.

Basically, this all sounds like user permissions on that machine that is giving you problems.
- Gary
Keeping WMC alive beyond January 2020. https://garyan2.github.io

dlpalumbo

Post by dlpalumbo » Fri Sep 03, 2021 10:52 am

Well, you nailed it. It was the Silicondust install that loaded the distributions. My confusion. I set my user account to have admin priv and the client would run in that account. I had no idea I could just click the 'Include' to turn on the Lineup in configuration app. Why didn't I try that? At first, the schedule wouldn't update. I had version 1.5 installed so I tried going to 1.6.7. The schedules updated, the client had the antenna lineup in the rhs and wmc is happy.

Thank you so much for taking the time to help me out.

Dan

o2cats

Post by o2cats » Mon May 01, 2023 12:09 am

I just upgraded my WMC server from Windows 7 to Windows 10. During the epg123 client setup, in the live TV setup after the examining your TV signals, it returned unable to finish with an unknown error. I tried it a couple more times, but decided to uninstall, and re-install the epg123 software. After thr re-install, the epg123 client GUI would not open. I uninstalled the HDHomerun software, the WMC software WMC-v8.8.5, and the epg123 software, re-installed, and tried again, but the GUI would not open. I did a search, and found this thread. I am the only user, the admin, and nothing changed except for the re-install since it originally ran, but I tried to run usig the run as administrator cmd, just in case, but the error persists.

I made an image of the Windows 7 disk, but I spent half a day on the upgrade, so I would prefer to stay Windows 10, if someone can help me figure this out.

[4/30/2023 6:26:56 PM] ===============================================================================
[4/30/2023 6:26:56 PM] Activating the epg123 client GUI. version 1.7.3.0
[4/30/2023 6:26:56 PM] ===============================================================================
[4/30/2023 6:26:56 PM] *** Windows 10 Core, 64-bit [Version: 10.0.19045.2846] (22H2) ***
[4/30/2023 6:26:56 PM] *** Windows Media Center [Version: 6.3.9600.16384] is installed. ***
[4/30/2023 6:26:58 PM] [ERROR] Unhandled thread exception caught from epg123Client.exe. message: Configuration system failed to initialize
at System.Configuration.ClientConfigurationSystem.OnConfigRemoved(Object sender, InternalConfigEventArgs e)
at System.Configuration.Internal.InternalConfigRoot.OnConfigRemoved(InternalConfigEventArgs e)
at System.Configuration.Internal.InternalConfigRoot.RemoveConfigImpl(String configPath, BaseConfigurationRecord configRecord)
at System.Configuration.BaseConfigurationRecord.GetSectionRecursive(String configKey, Boolean getLkg, Boolean checkPermission, Boolean getRuntimeObject, Boolean requestIsHere, Object& result, Object& resultRuntimeObject)
at System.Configuration.BaseConfigurationRecord.GetSection(String configKey)
at System.Configuration.ConfigurationManager.GetSection(String sectionName)
at System.Configuration.ClientSettingsStore.ReadSettings(String sectionName, Boolean isUserScoped)
at System.Configuration.LocalFileSettingsProvider.GetPropertyValues(SettingsContext context, SettingsPropertyCollection properties)
at System.Configuration.SettingsBase.GetPropertiesFromProvider(SettingsProvider provider)
at System.Configuration.SettingsBase.GetPropertyValueByName(String propertyName)
at System.Configuration.SettingsBase.get_Item(String propertyName)
at System.Configuration.ApplicationSettingsBase.GetPropertyValue(String propertyName)
at System.Configuration.ApplicationSettingsBase.get_Item(String propertyName)
at epg123Client.Properties.Settings.get_UpgradeRequired()
at epg123Client.clientForm.clientForm_Load(Object sender, EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Form.OnLoad(EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Form.OnCreateControl()
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.CreateControl(Boolean fIgnoreVisible)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.CreateControl()
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmShowWindow(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)
[4/30/2023 6:30:26 PM] ===============================================================================
[4/30/2023 6:30:26 PM] Activating the epg123 configuration GUI. version 1.7.3.0
[4/30/2023 6:30:26 PM] ===============================================================================
[4/30/2023 6:30:26 PM] *** Windows 10 Core, 64-bit [Version: 10.0.19045.2846] (22H2) ***
[4/30/2023 6:30:26 PM] *** Windows Media Center [Version: 6.3.9600.16384] is installed. ***
[4/30/2023 6:30:34 PM] [ INFO] Status request successful. account expires: 2024-01-04T00:16:00Z , lineups: 1/4 , lastDataUpdate: 2023-04-30T15:33:54Z
[4/30/2023 6:30:34 PM] [ INFO] System status: Online , message: No known issues.
[4/30/2023 6:30:34 PM] [ INFO] Successfully requested listing of subscribed lineups from Schedules Direct.
[4/30/2023 6:30:35 PM] [ INFO] Successfully retrieved the station mapping for lineup USA-OTA-75287.
[4/30/2023 6:30:35 PM] [ INFO] Successfully queried the Task Scheduler for status. No task is schedule to run.

o2cats

Post by o2cats » Mon May 15, 2023 10:00 pm

I saw Gary's thread onthe release of WMC 8.9.1 Installation MSI being released, so I uninstalled WMC-v8.8.5, and EPG V1.7.3.0, and installed WMC 8.9.1, and EPG 1.7.3.5, and EPG Client opened. I was able to complete Client setup without any additional issuses.

Thanks