Moving recordings

lucasbuck

HTPC Specs: Show details

Moving recordings

Post by lucasbuck » Tue Nov 10, 2020 3:05 am

Probably a silly question but I don't want to screw something up. I have a spare drive I was going to put in, which is bigger than the one I currently use for recordings. Can I just cut and paste my existing recording folder to the new bugger drive, then point WMC to start storing recordings there?

Space

Post by Space » Tue Nov 10, 2020 3:21 am

You should be able to do that.

You can also just add the new drive and then point WMC to put new recording there but leave the old drive in place and add that old drive as a "Recorded TV" media library so the recordings will continue to appear in your recorded TV list. Then you don't have to bother moving the existing recordings to the new drive.

lucasbuck

Post by lucasbuck » Tue Nov 10, 2020 8:32 am

Thanks for the reply. How do I add the old drive as a Recorded TV media library. That sounds much easier.

Space

Post by Space » Tue Nov 10, 2020 9:16 am

Note that if you use Settings -> TV -> Recorder -> Recorder storage

to change the recording drive to a new drive letter, I think it may automatically make the old storage location a media library.

But if it does not do this, you can do it like this:

Settings -> Media Libraries -> Recorded TV -> Add folders to the library -> On this computer

Then you select the path to the folder you want to add. Note that the path will be "X:\Recorded TV" where "X:" is the drive of the old drive you used as the recording location.

Check to make sure the list of libraries is correct (including the one you just added) and then select:

Yes, use these locations

You should now see the list of all your old videos in the "recorded tv" section of WMC, just like before. Any new recording will be recorded on the new drive and will also be displayed in this section, co-mingled with the recordings on the other old drive.
Last edited by Space on Tue Nov 10, 2020 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lucasbuck

Post by lucasbuck » Tue Nov 10, 2020 9:58 am

Got it. Thanks so much!