"Access is Denied" Message

Keylonta

HTPC Specs: Show details

"Access is Denied" Message

Post by Keylonta » Tue Sep 01, 2020 5:12 am

Has anyone worked out how to stop the "Access is Denied" message from showing in WMC?

WMC Access Is Denied Message.jpg
WMC Access Is Denied Message.jpg (16.1 KiB) Viewed 3045 times

There must be someway to give WMC access to a blocked application.

When I use "MCE Reset Toolbox" to add entry points to WMC for launching websites I get mixed results depending on the web browser I use.

WMC Website Entry Points (2).jpg

The message appears after doing the following:

1. Select the entry point to launch the website.
2. Push the green button on the remote to close the web browser and to relaunch WMC.
3. As soon as WMC relaunches the message appears.

The following browsers work fine:

Internet Explorer
Google Chrome

The following browsers give the "Access is Denied" message:

Mozilla Firefox
Brave Browser

Interestingly, if I first open WMC using the WMC icon on the ribbon in "MCE Reset Toolbox" the message doesn't show after doing the above 3 steps.

MCE Reset Toolbox Ribbon.jpg
MCE Reset Toolbox Ribbon.jpg (9.43 KiB) Viewed 3045 times

Space

Post by Space » Tue Sep 01, 2020 1:08 pm

I never used MCE Reset Toolbox, so these may be silly questions, but...

Does the browser exit? I would assume the "Access is denied" message is because whatever it does to close the browser is returning an error.

Does it really relaunch WMC or does it minimize WMC while the browser is running and then maximize it after the browser is closed?

Keylonta

Post by Keylonta » Wed Sep 02, 2020 3:32 am

Space wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 1:08 pm Does the browser exit? I would assume the "Access is denied" message is because whatever it does to close the browser is returning an error.
Yes the browser exits. The "Access is denied" message only started appearing after updating Firefox to the latest v80. I tested downgrading back to v79 and that stopped the message from appearing. I checked the v80 release notes and it mentions a number of new permission policies have been implemented, so maybe a new permission policy is causing it.

https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/8 ... easenotes/

Space wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 1:08 pm Does it really relaunch WMC or does it minimize WMC while the browser is running and then maximize it after the browser is closed?
It minimizes WMC while the browser is running and then maximizes it after the browser is closed, but with one exception; when it maximizes (relaunches) WMC it takes a few seconds for the WMC UI to load (fade in), so for a few seconds the WMC window is blue with no entry points. The "fade in" effect is exactly the same as when exiting out of, for example, the native Video Library; when exiting out of the Video Library back to the WMC main menu it takes a few seconds to load the UI and all the entry points fade in.

Blue WMC UI.jpg

But if I manually minimize and then maximize WMC using the minimize button at the top right of the window there is no "fade in" effect, the UI/main menu entry points appear instantly. So "MCE Reset Toolbox" is doing something special to give custom applications a more integrated feel so they behave the same as when exiting native applications.

The only other program I know for adding custom applications to WMCs Extras Library is "Relaunch" which I use as well, but it only supports fullscreen mode for Chrome, Internet Explorer, and Opera. And it has no "fade in" effect as mentioned above. But "MCE Reset Toolbox" is better because it supports arguments so you can run any web browser in fullscreen mode and private mode too.

Relaunch.jpg