7MC: Your favorite Feature?

shoffert

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by shoffert » Mon Feb 06, 2012 8:31 pm

When my 2.5 year old says he wants to watch Cars, then 5 minutes into it says he wants to watch Toy Story... then Cars 2, etc, etc. No getting up to switch disks (or navigate through the DVD previews, warnings, etc). Oh yeah, and we can pick up where we left off (usually, sometimes it doesn't save the spot).

Also like
- guide trimming
- color coded guide
- excuse to tinker
- server/extender/content sharing between rooms, inlcuding protected content
- the kindness of others to be a resource for chumps like me

Don't like
- Resume play starting at beginning some times.
- Difficulty getting DVD's into a FF/RW-able format, to also play AC3 on extenders.
- Lack of extender options, options, options. Yes that's me dreaming of the Echo.
- Slower response on extenders.
- No softsled to watch protected content on other computers in the home.
- No netflix/hulu/other content integration on xbox extender. Need to pay for gold to access content on the xbox that you could otherwise stream to your computer for free (or any other game system). Jerks. And they wonder why they got nailed for monopoly abuse in the past.

adam1991

Post by adam1991 » Tue Feb 07, 2012 12:44 am

Also like
- excuse to tinker
beware! If you live in a house where others (read: family) depend on that thing, tinkering is a dangerous thing.

Best to have a solid, easy and fast to execute backup plan.

Should you live by yourself, that's not a problem.

shoffert

Post by shoffert » Sat Feb 11, 2012 12:15 am

adam1991 wrote:
beware! If you live in a house where others (read: family) depend on that thing, tinkering is a dangerous thing.

Best to have a solid, easy and fast to execute backup plan.

Should you live by yourself, that's not a problem.
You are very wise... unfortunately, I am not always that wise. I can't resist sometimes. And yes, I've had to reinstall windows prebably a dozen times because I've done stupid things. Fortunately we still have a cable co box that can back me up.

I'm actually back to the basics now though. No My Movies. No Mediabrowser. Just the pure W7MC... and YAMMM of course.