Strange TV icon after upgrade

An evolving, supported alternative to Rovi
Forum rules
★ Download the latest EPG123 here: https://garyan2.github.io/ <> Setup guide here: https://garyan2.github.io/install.html
webminster

HTPC Specs: Show details

Strange TV icon after upgrade

Post by webminster » Wed Apr 22, 2020 7:15 pm

Apologies if the wrong forum, but since updating to latest EPG123 release (after SD issues) I now have a new icon on WMC home page, a little TV in lower right corner... with a big red X on it. What is this? Something added by EPG123 on a guide update failure or something else?

I do appear to still be getting issues with guide data, like internal server errors.
-Alan

EDIT: Reran the update manually, now I have a green TV. Obviously a new feature I was unaware of. Is there a way to suppress the icon?
-Alan

Ken H

Location: Ann Arbor, home of the NCAA College Football National Champions!

Post by Ken H » Wed Apr 22, 2020 7:28 pm

That is the EPG123 "WMC Start Menu Status Logo" icon. It shows one of three statuses in the TV screen - EPG with green background, exclamation point with yellow background, and the letter X with red background.

Here is how Gary explains what the different logos means:
Green, of course, means everything is fine.
Yellow means something was not quite right, but you still got updated. It typically means one or more stations did not get an update but everything else was okay.
Red means something happened such that EPG123 aborted the update.

The icon can be turned on or off, in the Tweak WMC button, in the EPG123 Client Guide Tool.

It sounds like it was turned off and when you upgraded the default setting is on.
Last edited by Ken H on Wed Apr 22, 2020 7:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Wed Apr 22, 2020 7:30 pm

Wow, what version did you upgrade from? That icon has been around for a long time.

To answer your question, yes. Open the client, click the [Tweak WMC] button, and change the WMC Start Menu Status Logo to None if you don't want it. You can also adjust transparency to make it not so loud if you want. It is a useful feature though, the red X meaning there was an error, the yellow meaning there was a warning, and green to show everything went fine.
- Gary
Keeping WMC alive beyond January 2020. https://garyan2.github.io

adam1991

Post by adam1991 » Wed Apr 22, 2020 8:09 pm

and a + on the top right means there's a new version available.

Ken H

Post by Ken H » Wed Apr 22, 2020 9:49 pm

adam1991 wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 8:09 pm and a + on the top right means there's a new version available.
Thanks Adam, I didn't know that.

webminster

Post by webminster » Wed Apr 22, 2020 11:48 pm

Thanks for the info. Upgraded from 1.1.9. Didn't not work, didn't need to fix it before. And really don't use WMC anymore, after the Comcast MPEG4 switch.
-Alan

Gripweed

Post by Gripweed » Thu Apr 23, 2020 2:24 am

webminster wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 11:48 pm And really don't use WMC anymore, after the Comcast MPEG4 switch.
What do you mean by that?

Ken H

Post by Ken H » Thu Apr 23, 2020 2:35 am

Gripweed wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 2:24 am
webminster wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 11:48 pm And really don't use WMC anymore, after the Comcast MPEG4 switch.
What do you mean by that?
At the exact same time when Comcast started using MPEG4 H.264 a few years ago, WMC started having issues with the video stream. Sometimes H.264 channels don't work; no video no sound, other times you get audio with a black screen. Sometimes changing channels to an MPEG2 channel and then switching back will make the channel work correctly, other times the tuner locks up and you have to restart WMC. It's a mess.

And that's not all. With the exception of contractual reasons, like for example CBS HD & NBC HD, Comcast converts all incoming 1080i HD to 720p HD. At first the image quality difference was very noticeable, but in my opinion over time it's gotten quite good and now I think it's relatively indistinguishable from whatever the native format was. Others disagree with me on this opinion and they have sworn off Comcast as a video provider on principal and perception of video quality.

I will say this; I switched to DirecTV at one point after Comcast made the switch and thought their video quality was better.

webminster

Post by webminster » Thu Apr 23, 2020 3:58 am

Yeah, what he said... including the fact that extenders had issues or didn't work. Particularly DRM channels.
Ultimately switched to TiVO Bolt+ and Minis. Hurt my soul but I got over it. Just too bad their guide data is crap.
-Alan

Ken H

Post by Ken H » Thu Apr 23, 2020 4:03 am

webminster wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 3:58 am Yeah, what he said... including the fact that extenders had issues or didn't work. Particularly DRM channels.
Ultimately switched to TiVO Bolt+ and Minis. Hurt my soul but I got over it. Just too bad their guide data is crap.
I love looking at the info for other films that cast members have been in. Film titles are in French, Spanish, and English. And I pay for this.

Gripweed

Post by Gripweed » Fri Apr 24, 2020 12:35 am

Ken H wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 2:35 am
At the exact same time when Comcast started using MPEG4 H.264 a few years ago, WMC started having issues with the video stream. Sometimes H.264 channels don't work; no video no sound, other times you get audio with a black screen. Sometimes changing channels to an MPEG2 channel and then switching back will make the channel work correctly, other times the tuner locks up and you have to restart WMC. It's a mess.
Sounds like a turner problem rather than a Comcast problem. Perhaps you need an updated cablecard or later firmware. I've never had any problem with any Comcast H.264 channels. I'm using a (actually 3) Silicondust HRHD Primes.
And that's not all. With the exception of contractual reasons, like for example CBS HD & NBC HD, Comcast converts all incoming 1080i HD to 720p HD.
Although I have read about this (mainly in the Tivo forums for some reason) I have not experienced that with my local Comcast connection.

Space

Post by Space » Fri Apr 24, 2020 1:09 am

I though that the WMC bug of tuning H.264 and then MPEG2 on the same tuner causing a black screen on the MPEG2 was already a known bug. I experienced it on my FiOS system a long time ago when I was recording something that was H.264 and then later recorded MPEG2. I haven't had the issue in a long time, although I probably don't record any H.264 channels anymore.