Gracenote/Schedules Direct is Impressive

An evolving, supported alternative to Rovi
Forum rules
★ Download the latest EPG123 here: https://garyan2.github.io/ <> Setup guide here: https://garyan2.github.io/install.html
Space

HTPC Specs: Show details

Gracenote/Schedules Direct is Impressive

Post by Space » Fri Mar 13, 2020 12:43 am

I have to say that the quality of the guide data with EPG123 and Gracenote/Schedules Direct is pretty impressive.

The series SEAL Team had an episode air on 3/11 at 8pm ET, however due to the President's speech about COVID-19, the first 15 minutes or so of the episode was cut off.

I learned that CBS planned to re-air the episode in full on Saturday (3/14), so made a note of it and planned to manually set it to record (since WMC would have already thought this episode recorded already so would not automatically schedule it again).

Well, here we are, ONE day later and the guide has already been updated with the 3/14 airing, and not only that, but they gave the episode a new ProgramID/uid so it is automatically set to record without having to do a thing! WMC sees it as a separate episode from the one it recorded on 3/11. Fantastic!

I looked in the MXF file to see if I could tell what changed between the two iterations of the episode and luckily they were BOTH still in there (not sure why the already aired episode was not purged, but probably because the episode aired on 3/12 at 00:00 UTC and I did the EPG123 update at 03/12 23:30 UTC, so EPG123 probably only purges airings that were on prior days and not if they occurred earlier on the same day (even though technically, it should probably purge them). I'm guessing the old one will be purged on the next update that occurs on 3/13 UTC.

In any case, here are the differences:

Code: Select all

First airing                       Second airing
Program id="11345"                 Program id="11421"
uid="!Program!EP02696552_0062"     uid="!Program!EP02696552_0066"
originalAirdate="2020-03-11"       originalAirdate="2020-03-14"
hasViolence="true"
Other than those differences, everything else was the same (episode name season/episode number, etc.). I'm not sure why the "Violence" indicator was dropped in the the second one, but other than that, amazing job!

One thing I wonder about is, going forward, how will this episode be identified by Gracenote? When the show is repeated in the future, will it use 11345 or 11421?