Guide for how to integrate Windows Media Center 7 with DishNetwork Satellite HD receiver

nelinory

HTPC Specs: Show details

Guide for how to integrate Windows Media Center 7 with DishNetwork Satellite HD receiver

Post by nelinory » Sat Mar 07, 2020 6:54 pm

Hello All,

I have been fan of Windows Media Center since Windows XP Media Center Edition.

Recently I rebuilt my existing Windows Media Center 7 connected to DishNetwork satellite receiver so I can now record and watch HD content from the satellite.
The detailed guide can be found at Github: https://github.com/nelinory/WMC7-DishNetwork-Guide

The guide is for Windows Media Center 7 install with two tuners (Quad OTA + Colossus) hooked up to Dish Satellite VIP211K receiver.
- TV Guide comes from EPG123 with schedulesdirect.org subscription
- Netflix supported by "NetflixMCE" by KerrAvon
- Weather forecast provided by "myForecast" by me (shameless promotion)

Final solution have been rock solid and have received the 100% wife approval.

Any comments, questions and ideas are welcome.

DavidinCT

Post by DavidinCT » Sun Mar 15, 2020 9:09 pm

nelinory wrote: Sat Mar 07, 2020 6:54 pm Hello All,

Recently I rebuilt my existing Windows Media Center 7 connected to DishNetwork satellite receiver so I can now record and watch HD content from the satellite.
The detailed guide can be found at Github: https://github.com/nelinory/WMC7-DishNetwork-Guide

The guide is for Windows Media Center 7 install with two tuners (Quad OTA + Colossus) hooked up to Dish Satellite VIP211K receiver.

Does this actually work ? Do you get Dish overlays in media center ?
-Dave
Twitter @TheCoolDave

Windows Media Center certified and WMC MVP 2010 - 2012

nelinory

Post by nelinory » Tue Mar 17, 2020 1:59 pm

DavidinCT wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 9:09 pm

Hello DavidinCT, I am not sure I understand the question. Do you mean getting the DIsh Network top badge with channel information when switching channels/viewing Dish Network Guide ? - Yes I do.

DavidinCT

Post by DavidinCT » Thu Mar 19, 2020 12:22 pm

nelinory wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 1:59 pm

Hello DavidinCT, I am not sure I understand the question. Do you mean getting the DIsh Network top badge with channel information when switching channels/viewing Dish Network Guide ? - Yes I do.
I have a 211k that is active that is collecting dust (long story), tempted... I'll have to look into the costs for the extra hardware. Then I can have cable and dish in one guide, one of the cool features of WMC that Modern DVRs still can't do.

Seeing the channel change logos kind of stink.
-Dave
Twitter @TheCoolDave

nelinory

Post by nelinory » Thu Mar 19, 2020 1:41 pm

DavidinCT wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 12:22 pm
nelinory wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 1:59 pm

I have a 211k that is active that is collecting dust (long story), tempted... I'll have to look into the costs for the extra hardware. Then I can have cable and dish in one guide, one of the cool features of WMC that Modern DVRs still can't do.

Seeing the channel change logos kind of stink.
Dish channel badge info on top only shows for 1-2 seconds while switching channels, and not every time. Dish channel switching is definitely not as fast as OTA channel switch.
Colossus takes few seconds to switch channels on Dish (I read somewhere it is actually resetting the stream buffer on every channel switch), so some times I do not see the dish channel badge info at all.

DavidinCT

Post by DavidinCT » Fri Mar 20, 2020 1:06 pm

nelinory wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 1:41 pm
Dish channel badge info on top only shows for 1-2 seconds while switching channels, and not every time. Dish channel switching is definitely not as fast as OTA channel switch.
Colossus takes few seconds to switch channels on Dish (I read somewhere it is actually resetting the stream buffer on every channel switch), so some times I do not see the dish channel badge info at all.
Thanks for the info, if I can get all the hardware for a reasonable cheap price, I might do it, I'll do some research and if I run into an issue, I'll post back here.
-Dave
Twitter @TheCoolDave

nelinory

Post by nelinory » Sat Mar 21, 2020 2:46 am

Added "Known Limitation" section to the guide at https://github.com/nelinory/WMC7-DishNetwork-Guide

Known Limitations
  • Close captioning is not supported on Hauppauge Colossus 01414 PCI card. It is a driver limitation not a hardware one - Hauppauge never implemented support for it.