Transitioning To Another Computer

mmurley

HTPC Specs: Show details

Transitioning To Another Computer

Post by mmurley » Sat Feb 29, 2020 4:10 pm

Maybe I'm just overthinking.

I'm slowly setting up my new WMC PC. I want to transition to from my old set up. I have EPG123 on the new WMC PC. It's Win 7 Ultimate so it has WMC - but I've done nothing with it.

Should I just bite the bullet and turn off the old WMC PC and set up the new one? Both can't use the Ceton Infi 6 ETH at the same time.

adam1991

Post by adam1991 » Sat Feb 29, 2020 5:21 pm

hmmm, they can't? You can't re-do tuner setup, for example, and tell the original rig to use only 3 tuners--leaving the other 3 for the new rig?

I think you can point multiple rigs to a Silicon Dust tuner, and it will provide a tuner on demand if one is available--and deny the request if it's not available. It doesn't care who's asking. Wouldn't the Ceton be the same?

After all, the cableCARD is married to the tuner--not to the recording rig.

What happens if you point the new rig to the Ceton?

(Would this mean your computers are transtuner? Or would this mean the tuner is transcomputer?)

I think you're overthinking it. Bite the bullet and just set up the new one. Move all your unprotected recordings over to the new rig. Move on with your life.

unclebun

Post by unclebun » Sat Feb 29, 2020 5:29 pm

They CAN both use the tuner at the same time. When all the computers on our home network were Win7, we could use the tuner from anywhere. And with a Windows Homeserver, all could view all the recorded programs.

mmurley

Post by mmurley » Sat Feb 29, 2020 5:43 pm

unclebun wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 5:29 pm They CAN both use the tuner at the same time. When all the computers on our home network were Win7, we could use the tuner from anywhere. And with a Windows Homeserver, all could view all the recorded programs.
Really? Okay then.

choliscott

Post by choliscott » Sat Feb 29, 2020 10:13 pm

mmurley wrote:
unclebun wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 5:29 pm They CAN both use the tuner at the same time. When all the computers on our home network were Win7, we could use the tuner from anywhere. And with a Windows Homeserver, all could view all the recorded programs.
Really? Okay then.
The ETH version can be shared, the PCI version needs to Turner locked to the PC

If you did a clean install of Windows on the other machine, I would suggest finding the standalone installer for digital cable advisor and Playready. That being said people are having problems getting PlayReady to install/ fully update, which I can confirm

adam1991

Post by adam1991 » Sat Feb 29, 2020 10:30 pm

The PCI version is still a network tuner, and can share its tuners out across the network.