Time sync with Spectrum

HBGDawg

HTPC Specs: Show details

Time sync with Spectrum

Post by HBGDawg » Mon Jan 13, 2020 4:15 pm

My WMC (Win 7) is currently set to sync with NTP. Spectrum is about 1 minute off from that. Is there a way to sync with NTP, but then add a minute to it?

mmurley

Post by mmurley » Mon Jan 13, 2020 5:06 pm

I have the same issue.

rkulagow

Post by rkulagow » Mon Jan 13, 2020 5:18 pm

If Spectrum is 1 minute off, then whatever it is that they're providing isn't NTP.

https://www.pool.ntp.org/en/use.html

HBGDawg

Post by HBGDawg » Mon Jan 13, 2020 6:10 pm

I think the issue is that they are syncing to something that is likely different than what we are syncing to. But they are also carrying live content which then isn't about their time syncing at all. At the end of the day, I need to add 1 minute to my clock. If I stop time sync and then just manually adjust the time, I am worried I will end up with drift. So I am hoping there is a way to sync my clock and then add 1 minute to it. Any ideas?

Space

Post by Space » Mon Jan 13, 2020 6:46 pm

I don't know if it is possible to adjust a time gotten from an NTP server.

I am not clear on why you need to do this. The programming that the cable system sends to you is scheduled and controlled by the individual networks, not the cable system, so it is not clear why you would need to sync up with you cable system. What problem are you having?

HBGDawg

Post by HBGDawg » Mon Jan 13, 2020 9:26 pm

When I record something in WMC, it starts a minute before the show actually starts. Yes, I could adjust every program to record to compensate for the minute, but thought it would make more sense for my WMC to align with the time of the broadcasters.

Space

Post by Space » Mon Jan 13, 2020 11:59 pm

Well, then you are trying to align your time with the "broadcasters", not with Spectrum.

I doubt that all the broadcasters are off by 1 minute, as they should all have their own schedule and clock.

Do you record from multiple "broadcasters" and you see that the programs all start 1 minute later than the recording starts? Do you see the program record, for example, 61 minutes instead of 60 minutes? If so then this looks like padding, not a problem with the clocks being out of sync. If it were a clock sync issue then you may also see that the ends of programs get cut off by 1 minute (unless you also have post-padding turned on for that particular recording).

You can set WMC to start recording "X minutes" ahead of when the show starts (it's a global option in the settings as opposed to the post-padding which is per-scheduled recording). Perhaps you have this set to "1 minute" and just think it is due to the clocks being off?