Editing Broadcast Date Metadata

Global guide related discussion. All Windows versions.
echo14612

HTPC Specs: Show details

Editing Broadcast Date Metadata

Post by echo14612 » Sun Jan 15, 2012 5:13 pm

Sometimes this information is missing or wrong. When I attempt to correct it in the Details panel, my input, whether I type it in or select it from the calendar, is accepted. But then, when I view the appropriate column in Explorer, it's empty. If I look at Details again, any Broadcast Date info has been removed. This has been the case since 7MC was released.

I've reported this problem several times before without getting any kind of reply. Is there any way to get this bug to the Media Center developers so it can be repaired?

koberhol

Post by koberhol » Sun Sep 07, 2014 4:36 pm

Has there ever been a fix for this??? I noticed a bunch of my recordings were missing in Recorded TV HD program list. However, they were in the Recorded TV program list. Upon further inspection I found the files did NOT have any date in Explorer. I found a handy little app here

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/toub/archive/20 ... 16874.aspx

This allows me to edit the Metadata with a date and hence they show up and everything is then fine. But I would like to know where the problem originates so that I can avoid this process!

Please and Thank You

echo14612

Post by echo14612 » Sat Sep 13, 2014 6:03 pm

koberhol wrote:Has there ever been a fix for this??? I noticed a bunch of my recordings were missing in Recorded TV HD program list. However, they were in the Recorded TV program list. Upon further inspection I found the files did NOT have any date in Explorer. I found a handy little app here

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/toub/archive/20 ... 16874.aspx

This allows me to edit the Metadata with a date and hence they show up and everything is then fine. But I would like to know where the problem originates so that I can avoid this process!
Ha! Not only has this bug never been fixed, I've never had it acknowledged in any of the Microsoft forums I've posted about it. The EditDVRMSMetadata program is the only solution I've found. (This works with WTV files also; you just have to tell it to show "All Files" every time - which of course adds another step to a process the users shouldn't even have to do.) I'm glad you found it, too. I just wish I had a way to contact Stephen Taub to ask him, pretty please, if he could edit the program to "formally" support WTV files.

I suspect there's an error in the code having to do with the field WM/MediaOriginalBroadcastDateTime being incorrectly described (somewhere within) as "Qword" instead of "String." If I'm right about that, how hard could it be for a coder to fix it?

As far as I can tell, there have been no improvements or fixes made to Windows Media Center since the version that came with Windows 7 was released. And you have to pay to use it with Windows 8! The only reasons I haven't switched to another recording solution is that I know of no other program that (1) supports metadata (such as broadcast date) and (2) will work with CableCards.