EPG123 Bug/Issue Contest

An evolving, supported alternative to Rovi
Forum rules
★ Download the latest EPG123 here: https://garyan2.github.io/ <> Setup guide here: https://garyan2.github.io/install.html
garyan2

HTPC Specs: Show details

EPG123 Bug/Issue Contest

Post by garyan2 » Sat Dec 21, 2019 7:46 pm

Okay, everyone. There are only 10 days left in the year and only so many days after that before Microsoft stops their EPG. I am reaching out to everyone here to test the latest version of EPG123 (v1.3.2.10) and find any bugs, needed improvements, suggestions, and even feature/future requests you may have that could be implemented for January 2020. I have 5 Schedules Direct coupons for a free 1-year membership for this effort. The coupons do not expire, so if you already have a current membership you can just apply for your renewal whenever it comes up.

I will be collecting everything you send me and updating the below graphic daily. You can email support@garyan2.net to submit any of the above and receive "tickets" per the below schedule:
Bug: 10 tickets
Issue/Needs Improvement: 5 tickets
Feature request (that is accepted): 2 tickets
Feature request (not accepted): 1 ticket, limit 1 per user

Contest ends on 3 January 2020 at 0000Z (3PM Eastern). Winners will be announced on 4 January 2020.

EDIT/NOTE: If at the time you make a submission and it is not already on the list, you will receive the allotted tickets. If it is already on the list, you will not receive any tickets. If 20 people submit the same issue/request that does not already exist in the graphic, all 20 will receive the allotted tickets.
- Gary
Keeping WMC alive beyond January 2020. https://garyan2.github.io

joeer77

Post by joeer77 » Sun Dec 22, 2019 1:09 am

What a coincidence. After running WMC 7 guide since 2011, I finally made the jump to EPG123 today and it was relatively painless. I love the program details and accurate jpegs. I used to run mychannellogos but I see that is superfluous with EPG123 as ALL channel logos autopopulated. I am running EPG123 on three Windows 7 desktops and 2 Xbox 360s for a total of 8 tuners (Ceton).

My only gripe is website documentation. When setting up the Client computers, I had to dig to find the "note" on doing a manual import and matching of MXF file on server computer. This should be listed as mandatory step and not a note or be user prompted during the initial setup. I'm still running my 7 day trial of schedules direct. Thanks Gary for a great program. Hopefully all goes well in 2020.

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Sun Dec 22, 2019 4:20 pm

Bump. Graphic update for 21 Dec.
- Gary

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Mon Dec 23, 2019 3:04 pm

Bump. Graphic updated for 22 Dec.
- Gary

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Mon Dec 30, 2019 3:13 am

I have been remiss in updating the graphic.
- Gary

arrrcache

Post by arrrcache » Mon Dec 30, 2019 6:54 am

Sent you an e-mail with some notes on the "Automatically proceed to next step" checkbox and how it seems to not initiate some tasks or said task windows gets minimized or hidden behind the Client Guide Tool or Client Setup dialog boxes.

Hope that helps!

And thank you so much for your excellent software, Gary!

rmeden

Post by rmeden » Mon Dec 30, 2019 6:50 pm

FYI.. you can apply the SD coupon code even before you're close to expiration and it still bumps your expiration.

Shattuck

Post by Shattuck » Mon Dec 30, 2019 9:02 pm

Bug: epg123 client guide tool: If you press the "Display only enabled channels" a second time while it is processing the application crashes.
This comes up when you are trying to remove a lot of guide channels so that it matches the lineup channels from epg123 server. As you remove you would like to refresh the list to remove disabled channels, but the button is only a toggle so you need to push twice. If you are impatient like me you try pushing it twice. At least it remember the changes I had already made after the crash.

Possible solutions: 1) ignore or queue button press during processing.
2) add a refresh button to compliment the toggle.

Suggestion for new feature (may be there, but I could not find). Button to only enable guide channels for which there is guide data being downloaded.

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Mon Dec 30, 2019 11:38 pm

I was able to duplicate the crash behavior, but I'm not sure what you asking for the refresh. When you delete a channel on the left side, it is removed from WMC and deleted from the list immediately... there is nothing to refresh.
- Gary

Shattuck

Post by Shattuck » Tue Dec 31, 2019 1:50 am

garyan2 wrote: Mon Dec 30, 2019 11:38 pm I was able to duplicate the crash behavior, but I'm not sure what you asking for the refresh. When you delete a channel on the left side, it is removed from WMC and deleted from the list immediately... there is nothing to refresh.
If you have "Display only enabled channels" on, then only the checked (enabled) boxes on the left show up. If you disable (uncheck) more boxes, then you have some channels showing with checks and some not so the current state of the left side in not "Display only enabled channels". It would be nice to have a single button that would restore (refresh) the state of the left side to "Display only enabled channels". Currently, to get back to "Display only enabled channels" you first click the "Display only enabled channels" button to get it back to all channels showing, and then click a second time to get it back to "Display only enabled channels". If it is not clear I can send some pictures.

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Tue Dec 31, 2019 1:56 am

Ah, I understand now. I'll take a look.
- Gary

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Tue Dec 31, 2019 4:58 am

I think what I will do is if viewing enabled channels only, and you disable a channel, that channel will automatically disappear. No refresh needed. If you decide to add it back, you will have to show all channels again.
- Gary

Shattuck

Post by Shattuck » Tue Dec 31, 2019 6:02 am

Sounds like a good solution.

mrclean

Post by mrclean » Tue Dec 31, 2019 9:58 am

Latest version showing trojan per windows security....insta deleted exe. (13.3.40). :oops:

Previous version installed OK...1.3.30.

The following error occurred: Error code 0x80508023. The program could not find the malware and other potentially unwanted software on this computer.

Category: Trojan

Description: This program is dangerous and executes commands from an attacker.

Recommended action: Remove this software immediately.

Items:
containerfile:C:\Users\User.MEDIACENTER\Desktop\epg123Setup_v1.3.3.40.exe
file:C:\Users\User.MEDIACENTER\Desktop\epg123Setup_v1.3.3.40.exe->(inno#000004)

Get more information about this item online.

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Tue Dec 31, 2019 3:05 pm

Yes, it is a false detect. I've built a new version to next rev, checked it on VirusTotal with no detects.
- Gary

Kestrel88

Post by Kestrel88 » Wed Jan 01, 2020 1:29 am

Not sure if this is the correct thread...but just updated my WMC to EPG123 and only came across two issues. First was the false over 4 tuner fix didn't apply message. Second was when looking over the transfer of recording settings I noticed that something scheduled for later today wasn't set to be recorded. I then noticed that somehow some of my series settings reverted to the channel of a previous TV service provider. When I changed and rebuilt my guide about 2 years ago, WMC automatically updated all the channels to the new listing. My guess is that those recordings set prior to my current provider had the originally data in the WMC database and that was used when EPG123 extracted it.

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Wed Jan 01, 2020 1:37 am

Kestrel88 wrote: Wed Jan 01, 2020 1:29 am Not sure if this is the correct thread...but just updated my WMC to EPG123 and only came across two issues. First was the false over 4 tuner fix didn't apply message. Second was when looking over the transfer of recording settings I noticed that something scheduled for later today wasn't set to be recorded. I then noticed that somehow some of my series settings reverted to the channel of a previous TV service provider. When I changed and rebuilt my guide about 2 years ago, WMC automatically updated all the channels to the new listing. My guess is that those recordings set prior to my current provider had the originally data in the WMC database and that was used when EPG123 extracted it.
False tuner fix message: I believe I will change that prompt. I don't know why it fails unless it gets written over after you start a tuner scan, but as-is it just leads to confusion. Thanks.

Record transfers: That's good information to know. Yes, from what I've seen, the recording requests file maintains some of the information from when it was originally created... other information will be saved as they are changed in WMC. I take it your request was for a specific channel and not Any Channel, or HD Preferred, or anything like that? All moot here real soon, but maybe I should have had the transfer tool change all the requests to Any Channel.

Thank you for letting me, and everyone else know!
- Gary

Kestrel88

Post by Kestrel88 » Wed Jan 01, 2020 1:54 am

garyan2 wrote: Wed Jan 01, 2020 1:37 am
Kestrel88 wrote: Wed Jan 01, 2020 1:29 am Not sure if this is the correct thread...but just updated my WMC to EPG123 and only came across two issues. First was the false over 4 tuner fix didn't apply message. Second was when looking over the transfer of recording settings I noticed that something scheduled for later today wasn't set to be recorded. I then noticed that somehow some of my series settings reverted to the channel of a previous TV service provider. When I changed and rebuilt my guide about 2 years ago, WMC automatically updated all the channels to the new listing. My guess is that those recordings set prior to my current provider had the originally data in the WMC database and that was used when EPG123 extracted it.
False tuner fix message: I believe I will change that prompt. I don't know why it fails unless it gets written over after you start a tuner scan, but as-is it just leads to confusion. Thanks.

Record transfers: That's good information to know. Yes, from what I've seen, the recording requests file maintains some of the information from when it was originally created... other information will be saved as they are changed in WMC. I take it your request was for a specific channel and not Any Channel, or HD Preferred, or anything like that? All moot here real soon, but maybe I should have had the transfer tool change all the requests to Any Channel.

Thank you for letting me, and everyone else know!
All my recordings were set to record the program on a specific channel. So if provider A had CBS HD at 55 and provider B has it on 99, after the transfer it would show as recording on 55 (where it was when originally set) and therefore never recording.

Just a minor overall inconvenience as I've become accustomed to double checking the Rovi listings on a weekly basis with TV Guide or Zap2it as I've seen too many oddities in Rovi like they're the only one reporting a program as being a repeat so I have to force record that weeks episode.

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Wed Jan 01, 2020 2:02 am

It might take you a while to break out of that habit, but that day may come... Gracenote is pretty good and accurate. Every once in a while I see a PBS station be off by an hour, but I think that is a PBS issue.
- Gary

Space

Post by Space » Wed Jan 01, 2020 5:50 am

garyan2 wrote: Wed Jan 01, 2020 1:37 am ...
but maybe I should have had the transfer tool change all the requests to Any Channel.

Pretty much all my Series are for a specific channel and "New & rerun". If the tool changed them to "Any Channel" that would probably cause some issues with shows that are both first-run (on one channel) and in syndication (on another channel).

I would have like 100's of Simpsons episodes set to record, for instance. So I don't know if this change would be a good one or not.

When I migrate to EPG123, I plan on setting most of them to "New" as the OAD on Gracenote is much more accurate, and incorrect OAD should not be a problem (them main reason I set the Series to "New & rerun" in the first place).

So there might be an argument that being able to bulk change some of the parameters in the tool might be a good idea, but it should be user selectable. Of course this is pretty much moot as the tool will rarely be used after everyone has migrated.

I did check the backup file for an old Series that I created in 2013. It had prototypicalChannelNumber="705" which was FOX on my old cable system. That same channel is 505 on my current cable system. So I assume the tool will transfer this Series over with the incorrect channel number and it will fail to work. Not good.

This is probably something that needs to at least be mentioned in the documentation.

I wonder if you can go in to each Series and change the channel. I am guessing yes, but only if that show is currently airing on the channel you want to change it to.

The more I think about this, the more I think it may be a good idea to have it change all Series to "Any channel" and then you can manually change the ones that need it (it would be obvious by the many recordings set to be recorded on a different channel) to the specific channel...