How to get rid of the annoying POPUP about Jan 2020 Guide going away

glorp

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by glorp » Sat Jan 25, 2020 8:36 pm

There may be work-arounds involving resetting the date on that registry key involved but to get rid of the code that does it to begin with you have to uninstall the last monthly security quality rollup update installed after August 2019 present on the machine then use Windows Update to repeatedly check for updates and hide those offered again going back to August 2019. You then (re)install August 2019 monthly roll up (assuming you want to patch your system again that way). You can add all the later security-only patches from Sept 2019-Jan 2020, which do not contain the nag, by obtaining each of those from Microsoft Update Catalog and applying them in order.

I've done that process on several different systems and found that I can delete the registry key involved afterwards and it won't come back when launching WMC. I haven't seen the warning again since December 2019 when I did this on one of the systems as a test. Unfortunately as I mentioned before in this thread, since it involves the Windows monthly rollups you can't just say "uninstall this one". Every monthly update since August 2019 could have installed the code that does it. Fo reference on a fully patched system, the one from January 2020 is KB4534310 and the safe-to-install August one referred to is KB4512506.

You can find the history of the monthly security patches at https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/hel ... te-history. (See the links on the left)
You can download monthly security only patches by referring to the info in the previous link and then search for and download the ones you need at https://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/home.aspx

hawleytoner

Post by hawleytoner » Sun Jan 26, 2020 7:10 pm

Tried this suggestion from DaveD on Fri eve (2/24) & seems to be working for the time being. Hasn’t been a week yet, though.

This gets rid of the EPG popup box for me:
- Manually set the system clock ahead one day
- Click OK on the nag box
- Restore system clock back to today

Then the popup is gone for about a week.

noeljohn

Post by noeljohn » Fri Jan 31, 2020 1:13 am

I think the answer is to be patient.
I reset my system clock to 1 Feb and the nag came with an option to not display this message again. I checked the option, told it OK and the nag went away.
It came back when I reset the clock to today (31 Jan).
So I reckon, wait until 1 Feb and you'll get the option to tell the nag to shut up - just 1 more day!

KarterJK

Post by KarterJK » Fri Jan 31, 2020 4:57 am

I know this came up before...

Microsofts warning about Guide ending...

it went away for a while but it's back again. It stops for a week and starts giving the warning again. Was there a final way to make this stop, ever posted?

[Moderator note: topic merged]

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Fri Jan 31, 2020 5:36 am

It sounds like the solution is to wait until 1 Feb. You will then have the option to never see the prompt again.
- Gary
Keeping WMC alive beyond January 2020. https://garyan2.github.io

matthers

Post by matthers » Fri Jan 31, 2020 8:53 am

Was having issues installing the last load of Windows 7 patches. Finally managed to push it through a troublesome .NET 4.7.2 update and now get the pop up about the EPG - or at least i think i do. The 2 buttons i see pop up each time Media Center opens have no writing in them at all. Not sure why. Potentially due to how much i've hacked the UI. Clicking the button on the right opens up a webpage about the guide not working, so am guessing this what they are as i saw a screenshot that that one should be the 'Learn more' button. Will need to wait till tomorrow to see if they disappear otherwise will look at removing that KB.
As for the guide stopping working, as I live in Australia, the EPG is transmitted with the digital TV stations so i still have the guide working over the air. Just checked now and can see a week in the future still. Can anyone confirm whether it depends on which country you live and how the EPG is transmitted as to whether you'll lose guide access?

hoopty

Post by hoopty » Fri Jan 31, 2020 8:15 pm

I read quite a few threads and I am hoping that the solution is to wait until tomorrow. I too changed the date on my PC for a check to see if it made a diff. It did pop up asking me to understand that support is over. I clicked the button saying I understand and changed the date back before rebooting. That did not fix it., but it might if it reboots with tomorrows date. I vote for waiting.

stuartm

Post by stuartm » Fri Jan 31, 2020 8:31 pm

Note that changing the date on your PC may well screw up any scheduled recordings that are waiting to run as of course they depend on correct date/time to begin recording the content.

joelkirzner

Post by joelkirzner » Fri Jan 31, 2020 8:36 pm

Ugghhh, that damn warning popped up again yesterday and today!!!
Dammit Microsoft just won't let it go!

WE GET IT, THE GUIDE IS OVER.
OMFG!

jefro

Post by jefro » Fri Jan 31, 2020 9:07 pm

For some reason my main WMC doesn't show that popup today. I did nothing to change epg.

However my under test with epg123 system pops up 10 times a minute. Maybe I'll do system restore and let it roll over to tomorrow.

Vistaar

Post by Vistaar » Fri Jan 31, 2020 9:41 pm

matthers wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 8:53 am As for the guide stopping working, as I live in Australia, the EPG is transmitted with the digital TV stations so i still have the guide working over the air. Just checked now and can see a week in the future still. Can anyone confirm whether it depends on which country you live and how the EPG is transmitted as to whether you'll lose guide access?
Yes, if you live a country where in-band guide data is supplied by DVB-T stations and WMC gives you the option to use it during setup, then you should continue to receive that data. That is definitely true in the UK also. It is only guide data downloaded from Microsoft - which Americans formerly relied on - that is no longer available.

matthers

Post by matthers » Fri Jan 31, 2020 10:14 pm

Well it’s Feb 1st here in Australia and even after a reboot I still receive the pop up (2 blank boxes) when WMC starts. In fact it appeared to run twice for some reason. Was Feb 1st supposed to be the end of this nag screen? Did MS say that somewhere?
Thx

Shaneh20

Post by Shaneh20 » Fri Jan 31, 2020 11:24 pm

matthers wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 10:14 pm Well it’s Feb 1st here in Australia and even after a reboot I still receive the pop up (2 blank boxes) when WMC starts. In fact it appeared to run twice for some reason. Was Feb 1st supposed to be the end of this nag screen? Did MS say that somewhere?
Thx
I'm in Australia also and can confirm this also. Still getting bombarded by this message popping up. I didn't see any 'Do not show this message' checkbox on the popup either like was mentioned in a previous post. I tried uninstalling the two windows updates using wusa.exe as suggested in previous posts, but they do not exist on my pc.

Also as was suggested in a previous post, I tried rescanning the tv channels and selecting 'No' to the tv guide eula, however this then prevented me from being able to use the guide at all! So that's not an option/fix either.

So screw this, i'm now restoring an old 2018 system image and will disable win updates until there's a fix.

Paint

Post by Paint » Fri Jan 31, 2020 11:33 pm

Hopefully this goes away after Feb 1st. It's been super annoying in the last two days

IT Troll

Post by IT Troll » Sat Feb 01, 2020 12:02 am

I’ve not had too many of them up to now. But today it was popping up like crazy. I really can’t understand what the schedule is.
Are you a Recorded TV HD user or want to give it a try? Check out the new community-made update; Recorded TV HD v2.1.1

ftkalcevic

Post by ftkalcevic » Sat Feb 01, 2020 12:16 am

There is a registry entry -

HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Media Center\Settings\MCE.PerUserSettings\epgDeprecationNoticeTimeLastSeen

Setting the date the past (1 year ago) fixed it for me.

AllIn7MC

Post by AllIn7MC » Sat Feb 01, 2020 12:21 am

I had a "do not show again" appear in the popup today. yay!

johnbdmills

Post by johnbdmills » Sat Feb 01, 2020 12:30 am

I uninstalled KB4493132, then restarted PC, then I got a tick box to not remind me again, which was not there before. I ticked it and it has gone away. Not sure if the fact that its February 1st is the thing that has fixed it (as I was doing this at midnight on 31/01).
Currently using Windows 7, but have another image with Windows 10 and Jriver media centre ready to go, but will miss WMC after 13 years.

JLa2r

Post by JLa2r » Sat Feb 01, 2020 12:35 am

Today I got a new pop-up. It now has a "Don't remind me again" option which is linked to the epgDeprecationNoticeDoNotRemindMeAgain DWORD in MCE.PerUserSettings. (set to 1 to never see the warning again)

Shaneh20

Post by Shaneh20 » Sat Feb 01, 2020 12:47 am

JLa2r wrote: Sat Feb 01, 2020 12:35 am Today I got a new pop-up. It now has a "Don't remind me again" option which is linked to the epgDeprecationNoticeDoNotRemindMeAgain DWORD in MCE.PerUserSettings. (set to 1 to never see the warning again)
Can anyone confirm if simply manually creating this reg setting gets rid of the popup, even if you never got the "Dont remind me again" option? I would check it myself, but i've already started doing a system restore to an old backup.