Using epg123.xmltv in Plex?

An evolving, supported alternative to Rovi
Forum rules
★ Download the latest EPG123 here: https://garyan2.github.io/ <> Setup guide here: https://garyan2.github.io/install.html
kanipek

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by kanipek » Tue Aug 28, 2018 7:15 pm

@sammy
Not trying to rub salt in the wound - after I found where to put the file and what path to put in plex it read and used my epg123 xmltv without any issue.

I even have a custom channel list that I add to each xmltv file to provide the automapping in Emby. As I said earlier the automapping did not work for Plex but everything else was good. I just don't see any difference in guide data so I won't be going that route with Plex.

I also tried an unmodified xmltv file from epg123 and that worked as well. So the format is not an issue.

Are you modifying the xmltv file at all?

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

Sammy2

Post by Sammy2 » Tue Aug 28, 2018 7:26 pm

kanipek wrote:@sammy
Not trying to rub salt in the wound - after I found where to put the file and what path to put in plex it read and used my epg123 xmltv without any issue.

I even have a custom channel list that I add to each xmltv file to provide the automapping in Emby. As I said earlier the automapping did not work for Plex but everything else was good. I just don't see any difference in guide data so I won't be going that route with Plex.

I also tried an unmodified xmltv file from epg123 and that worked as well. So the format is not an issue.

I renamed epg123.xmltv to epg123.xml and placed it in c:\plex.
I pointed Plex to \\computername\c$\plex\epg123.xml. to find the xmltv file.
Plex then presented me with a never ending spinner but not the channel mapping page.
I gave up, killed the process and reloaded the server and then the Uverse epg by ZIP Code

I just tried again and this is what happened:

Last edited by Sammy2 on Tue Aug 28, 2018 7:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kanipek

Post by kanipek » Tue Aug 28, 2018 7:33 pm

Did you try it using \\localhost vs \\computername ?
I don't know if that makes a difference or not. But it's what I used.
Sammy2 wrote:

Plex then presented me with a never ending spinner but not the channel mapping page.
I gave up, killed the process and reloaded the server and then the Uverse epg by ZIP Code

Sammy2

Post by Sammy2 » Tue Aug 28, 2018 7:39 pm

kanipek wrote:Did you try it using \\localhost vs \\computername ?
Sammy2 wrote:

Yes. Same results either way. Maybe I need to keep it as *.xmltv ?

kanipek

Post by kanipek » Tue Aug 28, 2018 7:52 pm

I used xml but I don't think it makes a difference. As long as the file is formatted properly.
Sammy2 wrote:
kanipek wrote:Did you try it using \\localhost vs \\computername ?
Sammy2 wrote: I renamed epg123.xmltv to epg123.xml and placed it in c:\plex.
Yes. Same results either way. Maybe I need to keep it as *.xmltv ?

Sammy2

Post by Sammy2 » Tue Sep 11, 2018 3:43 am

I still cannot get this to work even with epg123 v1.25.10. I tried a path to epg123xmltv in c:\epg123\output\ and in c:\plex\ to no avail.

Can someone please give me a "How to use epg123.xmltv in Plex for Dummies" guide?

Thanks!!

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Tue Sep 11, 2018 4:12 am

I didn't do anything special. With the latest release PMS, and the EPG123 XMLTV option to include channel numbers selected...

1) Go to Settings->Live TV & DVR and 'Delete DVR'.
2) Then 'Setup Plex DVR' and select a tuner to 'Continue'.
3) I verified 'Antenna' and 'United States', didn't have to scan for channels again, and clicked 'Continue'.
4) Clicked the 'Have and XMLTV guide...' text and entered the path to my XMLTV file (C:\ProgramData\GaRyan2\epg123\output\epg123.xmltv) and clicked 'Continue'.
5) If you have channel mappings, you should see the channels on the right have selections and the channels on the left enabled. If you do, that means it read the XMLTV file. Click 'Continue'.
6) Click 'Close' and then click the 'DVR Settings' text to disable the 'Enhanced Guide' option and Save.

When I working with a Plex user during this, he was running the beta version and for some reason would not import the xmltv file is the option to include numbers was selected. If the above doesn't work for you, de-select the option in EPG123 and do a Save&Execute to rebuild the xmltv file. Try the above steps again to see if that works. What was strange was, without me changing any of that code for channel numbers, it all of a sudden worked for that user with the channel numbers included.
- Gary
Keeping WMC alive beyond January 2020. https://garyan2.github.io

Sammy2

Post by Sammy2 » Tue Sep 11, 2018 4:27 am

I'm on the beta Plex Server too and I disabled Channel Numbers in epg123 xmltv generator and still no dice..

"Unable to load channel mappings"

Sammy2

Post by Sammy2 » Tue Sep 11, 2018 4:34 am

Tried again..

"Invalid and missing file".

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Tue Sep 11, 2018 4:54 am

I don't know what else to try. I never even once had a hiccup with importing an xmltv from epg123. Truth be told, Saturday was the first day I had even used Plex to see what was required to make it work, so I'm not well versed in how it works.

Have you tried to import a different xmltv file, from a different source?
- Gary

Sammy2

Post by Sammy2 » Tue Sep 11, 2018 5:04 am

garyan2 wrote: Tue Sep 11, 2018 4:54 am I don't know what else to try. I never even once had a hiccup with importing an xmltv from epg123. Truth be told, Saturday was the first day I had even used Plex to see what was required to make it work, so I'm not well versed in how it works.

Have you tried to import a different xmltv file, from a different source?
I even un-checked all options in epg123 and it failed.

Where would I get another xmltv file to try. Emby works with the Premium TV shows, if only it had ComSkip built in like Plex does.

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Tue Sep 11, 2018 5:16 am

You can try mc2xml (http://mc2xml.awardspace.info). It outputs xmltv files, but requires a lot of command line switches and configuration files to get what you want. A quick and easy would be to use the program a Plex user is developing which gets its data directly from the HDHomeRun tuners... pretty cool.

Forum thread: https://forums.plex.tv/t/for-those-who- ... epg/300886
Code: https://github.com/FairfieldTekLLC/HdHomeRunEpgXml
- Gary

Sammy2

Post by Sammy2 » Tue Sep 11, 2018 5:25 am

That looks like a pretty cool project but would require a subscription to HDHR DVR (eventually for me, I'm still on the beta guide data until they get DRM hammered out or decide they can't and bill me for it).

OK. IDK why but I re-checked everything in epg123 and it worked??

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Tue Sep 11, 2018 5:30 am

Obviously there's some quirkiness in Plex concerning XMLTV. I have no idea, but that is very similar to the other Plex user that had a problem with channel numbers.

For getting the guide from the tuners, without a DVR subscription you get 24 hours, with the DVR subscription you'll get 2 weeks, or so they say.
- Gary

Sammy2

Post by Sammy2 » Tue Sep 11, 2018 2:44 pm

BTW, I did trim my guide data to 14 days also. So maybe Plex cannot handle more than 14 days? Is there a way to truncate the xmltv file to 14 days while preserving 21 days for WMC and Emby?

Thanks.

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Wed Sep 12, 2018 4:32 am

Sammy2 wrote: Tue Sep 11, 2018 2:44 pm BTW, I did trim my guide data to 14 days also. So maybe Plex cannot handle more than 14 days? Is there a way to truncate the xmltv file to 14 days while preserving 21 days for WMC and Emby?

Thanks.
Of course there's a way to do it in software ... software can fix anything. But I'm not going to. There is no benefit. I just imported 21 days on my server without issue, so it is not the number of days. It could still however be some kind of file size limitation in Plex, but I doubt it.

BTW: I just posted another update to epg123 to address an issue that was evident if trying to record your daily local news.
- Gary

Sammy2

Post by Sammy2 » Wed Sep 12, 2018 11:41 pm

garyan2 wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 4:32 am
Sammy2 wrote: Tue Sep 11, 2018 2:44 pm BTW, I did trim my guide data to 14 days also. So maybe Plex cannot handle more than 14 days? Is there a way to truncate the xmltv file to 14 days while preserving 21 days for WMC and Emby?

Thanks.
Of course there's a way to do it in software ... software can fix anything. But I'm not going to. There is no benefit. I just imported 21 days on my server without issue, so it is not the number of days. It could still however be some kind of file size limitation in Plex, but I doubt it.

BTW: I just posted another update to epg123 to address an issue that was evident if trying to record your daily local news.
Thanks Gary! I'll try to up the days and see if it works after installing v1.2.5.20

Sammy2

Post by Sammy2 » Thu Sep 13, 2018 4:22 pm

Sammy2 wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 11:41 pm
garyan2 wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 4:32 am

Thanks.

Thanks Gary! I'll try to up the days and see if it works after installing v1.2.5.20
21 days seems to have broken something.
  • If I click "Refresh Guide" it starts but immediately stops.
  • If I click "153 enabled" it says, "Unable to load channel mappings".
IDK if the guide has uploaded due to Plex's schedule as there's nowhere to check except maybe taking a look at the log.

For me, Emby FTW! Plex also has issues with extreme stutter on the PremiumTV channels that Emby just cruises right through..

EDIT1: Disabling "Enhanced Guide Data" fixed problem number 1.
EDIT2: ^^ This also fixed problem number 2.
Last edited by Sammy2 on Thu Sep 13, 2018 4:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Thu Sep 13, 2018 4:38 pm

Yah. Definitely need to disable the Enhanced guide... it really slows everything down and can be embarassingly wrong.
- Gary

Sammy2

Post by Sammy2 » Thu Sep 13, 2018 4:41 pm

garyan2 wrote: Thu Sep 13, 2018 4:38 pm Yah. Definitely need to disable the Enhanced guide... it really slows everything down and can be embarassingly wrong.
Apparently it just breaks things.

Sammy2 wrote: Thu Sep 13, 2018 4:22 pm
21 days seems to have broken something.
  • If I click "Refresh Guide" it starts but immediately stops.
  • If I click "153 enabled" it says, "Unable to load channel mappings".
IDK if the guide has uploaded due to Plex's schedule as there's nowhere to check except maybe taking a look at the log.

For me, Emby FTW! Plex also has issues with extreme stutter on the PremiumTV channels that Emby just cruises right through..

EDIT1: Disabling "Enhanced Guide Data" fixed problem number 1.
EDIT2: ^^ This also fixed problem number 2.
It isn't using 21 days at all. It is using Enhanced Guide. I broke the cardinal rule of only test one thing at a time and jumped to conclusion with my conclusion bias of number of days.
Last edited by Sammy2 on Thu Sep 13, 2018 4:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.