Windows 10 1803 Spring Creators Update, game over?

Discussion of getting WMC to work on Windows 10 (unsupported)
the stranger

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by the stranger » Fri Aug 17, 2018 12:46 am

Hi All

Just found this site...having issues with latest Windows update and WMC.

Main issues are old recorded files get codec error, and WMC locks up in full screen mode...seems like common issues.

I've seen the posts suggesting replacement of MSVidCtl.dll files...I've got my old file...however, I have not been able to either delete or rename the new file.

I've tried using the testrights file from the 8.8.1 installation pack, but I get an access denied message.

I've tried renaming the new file, but again get access denied.

I'm sure I'm doing something wrong here...any suggestions would be appreciated.

choliscott

Post by choliscott » Fri Aug 17, 2018 2:56 am

Safe Mode?

technodevotee

Post by technodevotee » Fri Aug 17, 2018 5:09 pm

@the stranger

Have you tried the latest version of nsudo? It is available from here: https://github.com/M2Team/NSudo/releases

There seem to have been some changes made in 1803 which means the version called by testrights in 8.8.1 doesn't work properly.

the stranger

Post by the stranger » Fri Aug 17, 2018 6:44 pm

choliscott wrote:Safe Mode?
I'm not in safe mode. If I were though, would this prevent me from gaining file control permissions/access?

the stranger

Post by the stranger » Fri Aug 17, 2018 6:53 pm

technodevotee wrote:@the stranger

Have you tried the latest version of nsudo? It is available from here: https://github.com/M2Team/NSudo/releases

There seem to have been some changes made in 1803 which means the version called by testrights in 8.8.1 doesn't work properly.
Thanks for the suggestion. I've never heard of nsudo, but looked it up and it would seem like it could help with file access permissions.

I'm still thinking I'm doing something stupid and easy to fix...maybe I need to close out my file explorer window and reopen it to get the changed permissions...I'm going to try that tonight.

Also found this site which gives 3 options for deleting system 32 files: https://www.digitbin.com/delete-system32/

I tried option 2 last night and was given an access denied message in the command window after trying to use the takeown line.

Space

Post by Space » Fri Aug 17, 2018 9:43 pm

If the file was in use, then you would be unable to delete/modify/move it. Doing it from "safe mode" might work if that is the case.

choliscott

Post by choliscott » Sat Aug 18, 2018 1:24 am

the stranger wrote:
choliscott wrote:Safe Mode?
I'm not in safe mode. If I were though, would this prevent me from gaining file control permissions/access?
In safe mode, you can delete the contents of the ehome folder, which is where main files for WMC are in.

technodevotee

Post by technodevotee » Sat Aug 18, 2018 5:57 am

If you open the folder where the 8.8.1 installer package is and look at _testrights.cmd, you will see that it starts a command prompt as trusted installer using nsudoc, which is part of the nsudo package.

The changes in 1803 mean that the old nsudo package doesn't work properly and I had to download the updated version and save the files in the bin folder of the 8.8.1 installer.

Once I had done that, I was able to use testrights to delete or rename the dll.

the stranger

Post by the stranger » Sat Aug 18, 2018 6:15 pm

technodevotee wrote:If you open the folder where the 8.8.1 installer package is and look at _testrights.cmd, you will see that it starts a command prompt as trusted installer using nsudoc, which is part of the nsudo package.

The changes in 1803 mean that the old nsudo package doesn't work properly and I had to download the updated version and save the files in the bin folder of the 8.8.1 installer.

Once I had done that, I was able to use testrights to delete or rename the dll.
OK, thanks for the extra explanation. I just gave this a try...downloaded the latest version of nsudo zip, extracted the files/folders in the WMC 8.8.1 "bin" folder, and ran testrights again...unfortunately, still no success.

I can't find any online guide that shows how to alter these files after the latest update...all suggestions online now seem to be outdated with update changes.

technodevotee

Post by technodevotee » Sat Aug 18, 2018 6:24 pm

when you say you extracted the files/folders in the 8.8.1 bin folder, did you just extract them as-is, or did you replace the existing nsudoc.exe with the version in the x64 folder?

maybe I should have been more specific.

the stranger

Post by the stranger » Sat Aug 18, 2018 7:35 pm

technodevotee wrote:when you say you extracted the files/folders in the 8.8.1 bin folder, did you just extract them as-is, or did you replace the existing nsudoc.exe with the version in the x64 folder?

maybe I should have been more specific.
Thanks again for the response here.

The 8.8.1 bin fold originally contains 1 "NSudoC" application file. I've tried replacing this file with different combinations of files from the new NSudo version...I've tried both the files from the "Win32" folder and the "x64" folder...neither resulted in changed permissions.

What are the files you added to the bin folder?

technodevotee

Post by technodevotee » Sun Aug 19, 2018 5:46 am

I'm running 64 bit so I used the ones in the x64 folder.

I've done this on two machines and it works perfectly.

One thing - what do you get if you type in whoami and hit return at the command prompt testrights opens?

edit: My Living Room PC has just updated to 1803 and is working OK using the same method so that makes it three machines now.

the stranger

Post by the stranger » Sun Aug 19, 2018 3:43 pm

technodevotee wrote:I'm running 64 bit so I used the ones in the x64 folder.

I've done this on two machines and it works perfectly.

One thing - what do you get if you type in whoami and hit return at the command prompt testrights opens?

edit: My Living Room PC has just updated to 1803 and is working OK using the same method so that makes it three machines now.
When I type in "whoami", it returns "nt authority\system"...is this what you see?

When you add the new x64 Nsudo files, do you put in all three application files and the JSON file, or do you just put in the NSudoC application file?

Is there a way to confirm it's running the latest NSudo version?

technodevotee

Post by technodevotee » Sun Aug 19, 2018 4:40 pm

Yes, I get NT Authority\System so you are running the cmd prompt under the correct account.

I copied all the files in X64 into the bin folder for possible future use but the testrights/install/uninstall scripts only use nsudoc.

I don't know a way of checking which version of nsudoc is being called but if you've put the latest one in the bin folder, I would have expected it to work the way it does on all my PCs.

I am out of ideas I'm afraid.

the stranger

Post by the stranger » Sun Aug 19, 2018 7:51 pm

technodevotee wrote:Yes, I get NT Authority\System so you are running the cmd prompt under the correct account.

I copied all the files in X64 into the bin folder for possible future use but the testrights/install/uninstall scripts only use nsudoc.

I don't know a way of checking which version of nsudoc is being called but if you've put the latest one in the bin folder, I would have expected it to work the way it does on all my PCs.

I am out of ideas I'm afraid.
Thanks for passing along what's worked for you.

Not sure why I'm still unable to edit/delete that file...I think I've repeated your process.

...maybe I'll have to switch to nextpvr...I've used it before but just prefer WMC.

technodevotee

Post by technodevotee » Mon Aug 20, 2018 8:47 pm

technodevotee

Post by technodevotee » Tue Aug 21, 2018 8:04 am

So now I have three PCs with WMC working fine in full screen on 1803 as long as I launch it with advancedrun using the required settings and one PC which will not run WMC full screen no matter what I do.

The three that are working are Core2 with 1GB AMD Radeon 5450 cards and the one that doesn't is an i7-8700k with on-board Intel UHD graphics 630.

Does anyone have their WMC working full screen with the latter or do I need to buy a GPU for it?

the stranger

Post by the stranger » Wed Aug 22, 2018 1:57 am

technodevotee wrote:how is your French?

https://www.windowsmediacenter.fr/2018/ ... ent-faire/

English translation
https://translate.google.com/translate? ... t-faire%2F

might help?
Thanks for posting this. I do have the issue where recorded videos no longer show a thumbnail. I also still have the issue where old recordings will not play on WMC (even though new ones will) and it will not run properly in full screen mode (I've not been able to successfully update the MSVidCtl.dll file despite multiple attempts with different methods).

At this point though, I have decided to try to make NextPVR my OTA viewer and DVR...it's not as nice IMO as WMC, but it's fine and it think the more you learn about it, the more it can be customized to suit your preferences...and, it doesn't get wrecked every time MS puts out a new windows update (at least I hope not).

random6023

Post by random6023 » Wed Aug 22, 2018 2:07 am

Have a quick look at sichbopvr too. Easy setup and a modern look

https://sichbopvr.com

the stranger

Post by the stranger » Sun Sep 02, 2018 7:47 pm

random6023 wrote: Wed Aug 22, 2018 2:07 am Have a quick look at sichbopvr too. Easy setup and a modern look

https://sichbopvr.com
Thanks for the post here. I've been trying to use NextPVR and it's a clear step down from WMC in a new of ways.

I've looked at the sichbopvr site and see the last posted update is over a year old...is it still working ok with latest Win10 update?

Does anyone have any new tips for getting WMC to work with new update? Anyone else unable to update system32 files?